Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2524455

Subject: "Wentz is a genius (c) somebody liberally using definitions" Previous topic | Next topic
will_5198
Charter member
63157 posts
Thu Apr-21-16 07:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "Wentz is a genius (c) somebody liberally using definitions"
In response to In response to 0

annual Milwaukee Journal Sentinel anonymous scout QB hot take session is up:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-quarterbacks-b99704527z1-376408321.html

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top quarterbacks in next week's draft. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

1. JARED GOFF, California (6-4, 217, 4.78, 1): "He was surrounded by nothing," a scout said. "His best running back had a hip (injury) and was hurt all year, the receiver has all kind of talent and he's a nut job. The rest of them are pedestrian. He might be the most ready but I'd be nervous taking him before 10. Thing I don't like is his slender build."

"I just don't see him having that winner quality about him," a third scout said. "His arm isn't great. They do a lot of that dink and dunk offense, a lot of that false production. He gets rattled by pressure. Everything has kind of got to be under control for him. He couldn't win there and you want him to be the face of your franchise?"

2. CARSON WENTZ, North Dakota State (6-5, 237, 4.69, 1): "He's a genius, Wentz is," said another scout with knowledge of Wentz's 40 on the Wonderlic. "He could be really good. He's the best runner, he's the best athlete. He is off the charts."

"He gets away with things in that league (Missouri Valley) that he wouldn't get away with in the SEC," a third scout said. "He tries to throw in tight windows. Even in the (FCS) title game he threw two picks. The guy he reminds me of is (Blake) Bortles. Everybody was so excited about Bortles because of the height and the athletic ability, and this guy has the same thing. At least Bortles played against big-time competition. At this point I just don't see where he's that accurate of a passer."

"He's big, athletic and has a freaking cannon," a fourth scout said. "Level of competition is the only thing. I'd sit him for a year and a half, two years. Then I got a real starter. He'll be shoved into the fire too quickly and it may crush him."

3. PAXTON LYNCH, Memphis (6-6 ½, 246, 4.83, 1): "You might hit the home run with Lynch but because of the mental you might strike out," a third scout said. "He has the best arm. It ain't even close. That big, tall son of a gun can run, too. He's a little spacy, a little different." Added a fourth scout: "The overall maturity level and disposition, I'd be a bit concerned. Big kid, strong arm. But he's a ways away mentally."

4. CONNOR COOK, Michigan State (6-4, 216, 4.79, 1-2): "Let's put it this way: he's not Kirk Cousins," another scout said. "The person kills him. Selfish. He goes out too much. It's a tell-tale sign when your teammates don't like you, and I know they don't."

"He stinks," a third scout said. "Wildly inaccurate (57.5% career). Average arm, average mobility, average field vision. Not a leader. Not aware. Someone will take him in the second, third or fourth round and he's going to disappoint. The owner needs to fire the GM right after they pick him if someone takes him in the first. But when the Buffalo Bills took EJ Manuel in the first, all bets are off."

5. CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG, Penn State (6-4 ½, 222, 4.81, 2-3): "People can make every excuse in the book for him but he just hasn't done it," another scout said. "He was a Bill O'Brien guy and he had some issues with Franklin. He hangs out more with managers than he does teammates. It tells me he likes to be king of the little people rather than king of the big people."

"He doesn't have a clock in his head," said a third scout. "I understand they had a poor offensive line but that's too many sacks. Throw the ball away. Do something. He has talent but he scares the hell out of me."

6. DAK PRESCOTT, Mississippi State (6-2, 227, 4.78, 2-3): "This was not a good team but for two years they competed against the best teams," one scout said. "He was the entire team there. The guy's just a winner. He's got patience, focus, makes quick decisions, good arm strength, nice touch, stands tall in the pocket under pressure."

"I just don't see the vision downfield. He's a very streaky thrower. There will be a place for him in the league. I'd take him over Tim Tebow hands down."

"He's got no accuracy, got no vision," said a third scout. "I don't think he's an NFL quarterback."

7. JACOBY BRISSETT, North Carolina State (6-3 ½, 230, 4.92, 3): "He has a chance to be a starter," said one scout. "I think he's better than Teddy Bridgewater. He's bigger, got a better arm and better pocket presence, and is a great kid. People will want to work with him. He's got this huge lower body. Guys just have a hard time bringing him down. He's not a speed guy but he's not a slug."

8. KEVIN HOGAN, Stanford (6-3, 214, 4.74, 3-4): "That (delivery) doesn't bother me," said a second scout. "Sonny Jurgensen had a really weird release. Throws it like Philip Rivers. He's cerebral, smooth."

"He's your old-time pro QB," said a third scout. "Takes most of his snaps under center. He's good but not anything special."

9. JEFF DRISKEL, Louisiana Tech (6-4, 235, 4.49, 4): "You've just got to get over the fact he was a transfer from Florida. He's a little bit of a different kid but you want to talk about talent after the (top) three, he's the next guy. He's more talented than Cook."

10. CARDALE JONES, Ohio State (6-5, 250, 4.80, 4-5): "You can't pass a talent like that," said one scout. "If you're going to bet on one, bet on a guy with all the talent if he shows you enough

"Kind of reminds me of a poor man's JaMarcus Russell," said another scout. "At least JaMarcus had some touch. This guy just throws the ball. His mechanics are all over the place."

Added a third scout: "Strong arm. Big, big body. Not the brightest cookie in the world. I worry about him when he gets money in his pocket. I just don't know if it's all there mentally."

--------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

NFL Draft Talk [View all] , will_5198, Mon Mar-14-16 01:03 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
dumbass Dak Prescott
Mar 14th 2016
to be fair, that's pretty on-brand for Dak Prescott
Mar 15th 2016
Eagles will still draft him
Mar 16th 2016
      Lynch is more like a poor man's Blake Bortles if anything
Mar 16th 2016
           exactly. Bortles is actually starting to pan out
Mar 17th 2016
SPEED
Mar 15th 2016
real time or Va Tech time?
Mar 15th 2016
LSU time
Mar 16th 2016
is he projected 1st round? Arizona should consider him
Mar 16th 2016
Damn...opened this post anticipating a will draft extravaganza
Mar 16th 2016
I keep thinking I'll get back into it
Mar 17th 2016
UCLA's pro day actually makes me a bit mad
Mar 16th 2016
Myles Jack is gonna be sooooo good
Mar 17th 2016
Teams are starting to get weary about Bosa and Elliot....
Mar 16th 2016
what I learned: kids still call them "raves"
Mar 16th 2016
raves are still a thing?
Mar 16th 2016
Kids need to feel included so they use the word
Mar 16th 2016
interesting. all I heard was how great Zeke did in interviews
Mar 16th 2016
iiiiiiiiinteresting
Mar 16th 2016
Espn Insider McShay updated top 32.
Apr 06th 2016
Baylor DE Shawn Oakman arrested for sexual assault
Apr 14th 2016
Generic Ass QB #51
Apr 22nd 2016
      Doesn't trading down actually improve the Browns chances of taking him?
Apr 22nd 2016
           For most teams. I'm hoping Hue and 'em don't drink the Kool-Aid
Apr 22nd 2016
updated mcshay/kiper mock draft
Apr 22nd 2016
i pray the titans draft anything close to that level of work.
Apr 22nd 2016
safety class weak as hell.
Apr 22nd 2016

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2524455 Previous topic | Next topic