Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2449262

Subject: "Dirty Delly..." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon May-25-15 03:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dirty Delly..."

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/matthew-dellavedova-is-a-dirty-player

Matthew Dellavedova is a dirty player

By MIKE FOSS 8 hours ago

Al Horford was ejected for landing an elbow above Matthew Dellavedova’s shoulders in the second quarter of Sunday night’s game between the Atlanta Hawks and the Cleveland Cavaliers after the two became tangled searching for a loose ball.

Horford was assessed a flagrant foul two and Dellavedova was given a technical foul. Horford absolutely deserved an ejection. Dellavedova absolutely deserved a technical foul.

But the controversy comes from Dellavedova’s role in similar events these playoffs. The first when he leg-locked Taj Gibson in the conference semifinals. Gibson’s retaliation earned him an ejection. The second when Dellavedova tangled with Kyle Korver, leaving the latter with season-ending ankle sprain that could require surgery.

Some would defend Dellavedova in all of these incidences. LeBron James ardently supported his teammate during Sunday night’s press conference.

“Are we going to talk about us trying to win basketball games or about those guys trying to figure out a way that Matthew Dellavedova is this type of … this guy, he works his tail off every single day,” James said. “He beats the odds, and he comes to play as hard as he can every single night. If they’re focused on Delly, then they’re focused on the wrong thing.

“I’m a little bit off about it because this is my guy, this is my teammate, and this is a guy that goes out and works his tail off every single night, and people are trying to give him a bad rap. He doesn’t deserve it, and I don’t like it.”

James is wrong.

Dellavedova does deserve a bad rap because Dellavedova is a dirty player.

There are plenty of guys who work their tails off in the NBA. They wouldn’t be in the NBA if they didn’t work their tails off. You are capable of working hard and also playing fairly.

No one is contesting Dellavedova’s work ethic. He hustles. But to say that these are just a series of unfortunate events is naive at best. This isn’t Rudy 2. This is a guy who doesn’t know the line and is risking other players’ careers. And what no one is considering is the fact that this is just the third time TV cameras and audiences have noticed Dellavedova mixing it up with opponents. Does anyone really believe he isn’t bringing his unique brand of “hustle” to his game off the ball?

If LeBron was playing against Dellavedova rather than with him, you, I, LeBron, and everyone else who has ever watched an NBA game knows that James would be livid after what has transpired these past three games.

Is Dellavedova intentionally trying to hurt players? When you launch yourself at the knees of your opponents, or leg-lock someone as they are trying to get up, what else are you hoping to achieve?

I wonder how LeBron feels about Kelly Olynyk’s hustle against Kevin Love in the first round of the playoffs.

There’s plenty of room for players to scrap and hustle, and even get chippy during the playoffs. But that’s not what Dellavedova is doing. It isn’t gamesmanship. It’s dirty, and there’s no way around it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Dirty Delly... [View all] , ThaTruth, Mon May-25-15 03:56 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
If our worlds newspaper of record says it
May 25th 2015
I think it may be an Aussie thing
May 25th 2015
      Aussie plays are some fucking goons. Word to Bogut.
May 25th 2015
      No, it's a BASKETBALL THING - no way in that split second could
May 25th 2015
rugby player..these hoop niggas soft
May 25th 2015
LOL. Well I guess if all your agendas fail, might as well poast this.
May 25th 2015
What agendas have failed?
May 25th 2015
      "I just don't see how Cleveland can be a contender"
May 25th 2015
           I addressed this in the other post, the current Cavs team is different.....
May 25th 2015
                nope don't wanna hear that plea cop now - when it was announced
May 25th 2015
                RE: nope don't wanna hear that plea cop now - when it was announced
May 25th 2015
                no one?
May 25th 2015
                Truth is correct, though. no one saw those trades coming.
May 26th 2015
                     Nobody saw this coming, either.
Jun 11th 2015
                *This team is less talented than the team originally on paper (injuries)
May 25th 2015
                     RE: *This team is less talented than the team originally on paper (injur...
May 25th 2015
                          RE: *This team is less talented than the team originally on paper (injur...
May 26th 2015
                               FOH, Mo Williams was way better than Delly on that 66-win 08-09 team...
May 26th 2015
                                    I agree with this
May 26th 2015
                                         RE: I agree with this
May 26th 2015
                                              so in conclusion: Both these CLE teams are insufficient to win a title
May 26th 2015
First team All-Annoying NBA. don't see him as dirty though
May 25th 2015
^exactly.
May 25th 2015
I feel like I'm reading about Bruce Bowen
May 25th 2015
yep. Bruce was the NBA version of Rodney Harrison.
May 26th 2015
Clickbait article.
May 25th 2015
I feel like I'm in Bizarro World.
May 26th 2015
The whole 'he's a rugby guy' narrative works against him
May 26th 2015
lol
May 26th 2015
I thought the Taj play was the dirtiest by far, the Korver play...
May 26th 2015
All those plays by themselves aren't that bad.
May 26th 2015
      exactly
May 26th 2015
SMH...scared
May 26th 2015
funny thing is, nobody wants to actually look at that video
May 26th 2015
RE: Dirty Delly...
Jun 10th 2015
neither of them get any sympathy there. they're both dirty.
Jun 10th 2015
this one, he should be suspended
Jun 10th 2015
looks like a shoulder to the booty. folk reaching with that one
Jun 11th 2015
no mention of the illegal screen set on Delly?
Jun 11th 2015
there's all kinds of 'cheating' going on in this series I've stopped pay...
Jun 11th 2015
Green hit him and Delly hit him back
Jun 11th 2015
Jun 11th 2015
I watched that reply about 8 times and Green tried to Flop!
Jun 11th 2015
Did anybody call Ariza a dirty player?
Jun 11th 2015

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2449262 Previous topic | Next topic