Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2416556

Subject: "Josh Gordon kind of ethers...well, everybody" Previous topic | Next topic
ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 10:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Josh Gordon kind of ethers...well, everybody"

Awesome read, the second hand smoke notwithstanding.

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-open-letter-to-charles-barkley-co-cb5c4e64cf3

An Open Letter To Charles Barkley & Co.
Yes, I have a “problem,” but it’s not the one all of you seem to think it is.
By Josh Gordon
(AP)

Dear Sir Charles, Stephen A., Cris and other interested parties,

Thank you for your recent outpouring of concern about my well being. In what has been a difficult time for my family, friends and fans, you — and those like you — have taken it upon yourselves to express just how much you care about me and my future. For that, I am truly appreciative.

The thing is, though, you don’t even know me.
Chuck, you have never so much as shook my hand, let alone exchanged a single word with me. Few of you have, to be honest. Respectfully, your worry over my “problems” with substance abuse and my twisting descent into darkness and, apparently, my impending death, is misplaced — mostly because you have very little idea what you are talking about. None of you do, even those of you who seem curiously obsessed with the goings-on in my life:

You’re done with me, Stephen A.? That presumes we ever actually got started. How, exactly, can you be “done” with someone you have never had a meaningful conversation with beyond a quick First Take spot? Regardless, I am relieved that you no longer need to harbor sympathy for me — mostly because I never asked for it, never wanted it, and certainly never needed it. I am not a victim here; I never claimed to be one, either.

And Cris, your level of interest in my life is even more puzzling, especially considering we have never met, either.

In addition to being concerned about me — like when you publicly called for the Browns cut me so I could learn the same lessons you learned — you also stated as fact that “we are dealing with addiction here.” Know this: We are not dealing with anything, Cris. We are not the same. Not at all.

So, in the interest of lifting the heavy burden of my welfare off your collective consciences, I’d like to set the record straight about a few things.

First, words cannot express the remorse and regret I feel over this latest incident. I acknowledge that the repeated transgressions that have led up to this point have damaged my credibility, and for that, the only person to blame is me.

I have let down many in Cleveland — my Browns teammates, our hard-working coaching staff, the team’s ownership, and the loyal fan base that wants nothing more than to win. Playing there is different than in many other cities. We feel the fans’ pain. We know how important this is to them.

Also, I have disappointed the family and close friends who have always stood by me — no matter how tough things have been at certain points in my life. Believe me, there have been more dark days than I care to remember.

Most importantly, I have failed myself. Again.

I failed myself when started using marijuana regularly as a young teenager. I failed myself when I ruined a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be Robert Griffin III’s running mate during his Heisman Trophy-winning season at Baylor. I failed myself when I didn’t check with the league office to ensure that my doctor-prescribed, codeine-based medicine was allowed under NFL guidelines. I failed myself when I was arrested for driving a motor vehicle with a blood-alcohol level over the legal limit. I failed myself when I missed a team walkthrough late in the season and was suspended for the final game of the year.

But you know what, Charles, Stephen A., Cris and everyone else? I also have succeeded.

I succeeded by escaping a youth riddled with poverty, gang violence and very little in the way of guidance or support. I succeeded by narrowly avoiding a life of crime that managed to sink its clutches into almost all of my childhood friends. I succeeded by working tremendously hard on my craft and my body to even have a chance to play professional football for a living. And, contrary to popular belief, I succeeded by overcoming my longstanding relationship with weed — because I knew I was risking my future over it.

Truth is, I have not smoked marijuana since before I was drafted by the Browns in 2012 — and there are years’ worth of drug tests to prove it.
So, then how did I get here, you ask? That’s easy. I messed up. But to even begin to understand why I messed up, you need to know the Josh Gordon that existed before the NFL.

(AP)
I don’t speak of it often, and even less so publicly, but I faced a fair amount of hardship growing up. My father was pretty much out of the picture, which left my mom to fend for herself with three sons at home. She did the best she could, but there were large stretches of time as an adolescent when I was completely alone — with no supervision, no one to guide me, and no one to keep me in line.

We lived in a poor section of Houston called Fondren, and to say it was a rough place would be putting it lightly. The other kids in the neighborhood weren’t well off, either, but it always felt like we had even less to our name. We moved at least seven times, and things were so bad sometimes, there were days I would come home from school and there would be no electricity, heat or hot water.

Over time, particularly after my older brothers moved out, I started hanging out with the wrong kind of people. The kind who would think nothing not only of carrying guns, but using them. Back then, smoking marijuana wasn’t an addiction for any of us — we were still boys, basically. It was just what everyone did. It was everywhere, just like alcohol was.

So Charles, Stephen A., Cris — you judge me now, but what if you came from where I come from? Heck, maybe you did experience similar upbringings, but I wouldn’t know, because I do not know you. Each of you have dealt with more than your fair shares of self-inflicted controversies, though, that I do know.

Again, I make no excuses for my past. That culture didn’t make me do anything I didn’t want to do, but when you judge me without actually knowing me, you deny the existence of the world I come from.
Later, when I went to college, it was like a dream come true, but in retrospect, I wasn’t ready for it. I had to have that opportunity taken away from me before I could really look within myself and decide what I wanted for my future. Was I going to continue to break rules to get high, or was I going to get straight and make the most of my God-given talents?

I made my choice when it came to the NFL, and I haven’t wavered.

Now, I messed up again. It happened about four weeks ago.

As most everyone knows, I missed a considerable portion of the 2014 season because I was suspended by the league. The details in relation to my reinstatement, however, are important to understand.

In connection with the DWI case, the league — in consideration of the fact that my blood-alcohol level was just .01 over the legal limit — agreed to shorten my punishment from four games lost to two. These games were tacked on to my eight-game suspension that had been levied on account of my inadvertently inhaling second-hand marijuana smoke last offseason.

That punishment — while harsh, given what my lab results clearly showed, including a backup sample that was under the league threshold — was just. I foolishly put myself in a precarious situation, one which I could have easily avoided if I had thought more clearly about the potential ramifications of my actions and who I chose to spend time around.

As a strict condition to my reinstatement in Week 12, I had to agree not only to abstain from drinking for the rest of the season, but also to submit to an alcohol screen as part of my in-season drug testing under the league’s substance-abuse protocol. Did I think that was excessive given I had never had any issue whatsoever with alcohol? Yes. Did I think it was hypocritical that a professional league making hundreds of millions of dollars off beer sponsorships was telling me not to drink? Yes. Did I so much as blink at the condition? No.

My primary concern was — and is — being the best football player I can be; I really didn’t even view it as much of a punishment or sacrifice.

On Jan. 2 of this year, just days after our season ended earlier than we all had hoped — and yes, my actions during the prior offseason definitely contributed to our failure to make the playoffs; it killed me seeing our guys fight so hard when I wasn’t out there with them — I boarded a private flight to Las Vegas with several teammates. During the flight, I had two beers and two drinks. It was the first time I had consumed so much as a drop of alcohol since July 4, 2014, the day of the DWI.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not much of a drinker. Even calling me a social drinker would be an exaggeration, but at that moment, on that flight, I made a choice. The wrong choice, as it turned out.

Upon landing, I received the all-too-familiar notice by phone that I was to report to a testing location within four hours. I failed the test, obviously, and the rest is history … colored by media speculation and faux outrage.

In the end, of course, I failed myself.

It doesn’t matter if I thought that the league-imposed restriction on drinking had expired at the end of the regular season; what matters is that I didn’t confirm whether or not that was the case. Now, that oversight has further jeopardized my relationship with my team and our fans, my reputation, and maybe even my career.

So that’s it, Charles & Co.

These are the actual facts surrounding my situation, and these are my words. What comes next is uncertain. I haven’t decided whether to appeal the latest suspension. That’s a matter for my agent and me to discuss.

To those of you who traffic in lies and innuendo over fact, with seemingly no consequences for your actions …

I really don’t know how you get away with it.

What I do know is the following: I am not a drug addict; I am not an alcoholic; I am not someone who deserves to be dissected and analyzed like some tragic example of everything that can possibly go wrong for a professional athlete. And … I am not going to die on account of the troubled state you wrongly believe my life to be in. I am a human being, with feelings and emotions and scars and flaws, just like anyone else. I make mistakes — I have made a lot of mistakes — but I am a good person, and I will persevere.

If I have a “problem,” it is that I am only 23 years old — with a lot left to learn. I’ve come a long way from those mean Fondren streets, but it’s clear that I can be a better me — one who kids coming up to me for selfies and autographs can be proud of. I want that future for myself. And I truly believe that what I am going through right now will only make me stronger. I believe that my future is bright.

If you see me someday, Chuck, Stephen A., Cris, or any other well-intentioned person to whom this letter is directed, please come on over, shake my hand, and say hello. I won’t be holding a grudge, but I will expect you to admit you were wrong about me.

Sincerely,

Josh Gordon, No. 12

---------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Josh Gordon kind of ethers...well, everybody [View all] , ErnestLee, Thu Jan-29-15 10:39 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Great read
Jan 29th 2015
i mean...
Jan 29th 2015
You didn't read the article. And Josh Gordon writes better than you.
Jan 29th 2015
i read it earlier today. in its entirety.
Jan 29th 2015
      No, its not subjective. You're an embarrassment.
Jan 29th 2015
This is kind of his point though
Jan 29th 2015
      Yeah, not sure why the fuck we act like it has to be that way.
Jan 29th 2015
Nigga costing himself MILLIONS though, smh.
Jan 29th 2015
interesting
Jan 30th 2015
***creates poll for my Dynasty League to give essay points***
Jan 30th 2015
feel bad for him, but he's a knucklehead
Jan 30th 2015
yeah. it's a lot of hot air until he proves otherwise.
Jan 30th 2015
      He's still less of a dumbass than you were at 23.
Jan 30th 2015
      chill...
Jan 30th 2015
           ?
Jan 30th 2015
                inbox.
Jan 30th 2015
                     Nah, I'm one of the most beloved people around here
Jan 30th 2015
                          you're takin' this entirely too far...
Jan 30th 2015
                               Post #32.
Jan 30th 2015
                               you want it to be one way © marlo...
Jan 30th 2015
                                    "I'm a peaceful brother." (c) Nasir
Jan 30th 2015
                               Awwwe someones e-feelings might get hurt, LOL!
Jan 30th 2015
      yep, claiming he doesn't have a problem with alcohol
Jan 30th 2015
^^^^^^PLEAS COPPED
Jan 30th 2015
he really hasn't said much...
Jan 30th 2015
OE is right. Surprised at the callous cynism in this post.
Jan 30th 2015
But if he got jammed up in college....what twice?
Jan 30th 2015
his problem is that he is young and learning responsibility in real time
Jan 30th 2015
      No idiots you didn't know were publically judging you, though.
Jan 30th 2015
      nah his problem is, he keeps getting jammed up
Jan 30th 2015
           He already told us that, though.
Jan 30th 2015
           And now he has to follow through on that
Jan 30th 2015
                LOL -- are those things mutually exclusive? Jesus.
Jan 30th 2015
                     you know what isnt automatically mutually INclusive?
Jan 30th 2015
                     LOL -- Gordon "assessed his behavior" better than we did.
Jan 30th 2015
                          no he hasnt. if he did, hed refer to himself as an addict.
Jan 30th 2015
                               Women have called me a "sex addict"
Jan 30th 2015
                                    has your sexual behavior ever gotten you arrested?
Jan 30th 2015
                                         so marijuana arrest = addiction?
Jan 30th 2015
                                              it could very well be that the NFL's drug policy is unreasonable.
Jan 30th 2015
                                              what?
Jan 30th 2015
                                                   you're allowing arbitrary social definitions to determine a man's worth
Jan 30th 2015
                                                        no, im not. ive actually said almost nothing about "his worth"
Jan 30th 2015
                                                             saying he has the problem and he is an addict is judgmental
Jan 30th 2015
                                                                  judgmental as in weighing and assessing his behavior? yes.
Feb 01st 2015
                     I'm not debating the first part.
Jan 30th 2015
                          But again: Gordon made that arguement already.
Jan 30th 2015
           He keeps making questionable decisions. There is a difference.
Jan 30th 2015
                Sorry, but I call bullshit.
Jan 30th 2015
                     i would hope that ppl who care abt him wouldn't put him in that position
Jan 30th 2015
                          or he indeed needs to choose between his career and his fam/friends
Jan 30th 2015
                          in what position?
Jan 30th 2015
it was almost literally the exact opposite of a mature response
Jan 30th 2015
      You are literally the opposite of an intelligent person.
Jan 30th 2015
      no one is less qualified to assess addiction than the person in ?
Jan 30th 2015
           Jesus Christ, you just made MY POINT
Jan 30th 2015
                youre putting me in something i have no interest in being in
Jan 30th 2015
                     Nah, too late to backtrack. You made Gordon's exact point.
Jan 30th 2015
                          i havent judged him for anything.
Jan 30th 2015
                               but the NFL has stricter standards than most professions
Jan 31st 2015
      lol. take a breath and then read again.
Jan 30th 2015
RE: Josh Gordon kind of ethers...well, everybody
Jan 30th 2015
Pretty much. Lotta hypothetical well adjusted 23 yr old millionaires in ...
Jan 30th 2015
beyond the hype, he did it to himself...
Jan 30th 2015
You guys sound like the Orange County debate team semi-finals.
Jan 30th 2015
I'm not trying to take personal accountability out of this
Jan 30th 2015
      its not about one incident...
Jan 30th 2015
           But He ADMITTED To All That Though
Jan 30th 2015
                Yeah, HALF the article is Gordon talking bad about himself.
Jan 30th 2015
                i never said he shirked responsibility...
Jan 30th 2015
</post>
Jan 30th 2015
tl;dr, I don't have a substance abuse problem, I'm just irresponsible
Jan 30th 2015
"it was hypocritical that a professional league..."
Jan 30th 2015
it's a facile argument at best. Deflection, if we're being honest
Jan 30th 2015
      I disagree.
Jan 30th 2015
      Nah, the issue is the morality part.
Jan 30th 2015
           Yeah.
Jan 30th 2015
clear pattern of behavior but he has talent and time on his side
Jan 30th 2015
lol, word
Jan 30th 2015
damn punching a buckeye?
Jan 30th 2015
      he's been gettin a little too self righteous lately imo...
Jan 30th 2015
           lately?
Jan 31st 2015
                did i stutter ?
Feb 03rd 2015
                     if Duron's last name was Jones, would anybody still care about him?
Feb 03rd 2015
                          nope, he's an entitled little shithead, but the talent is there.
Feb 03rd 2015
cris carter is the LAST guy who should be pointing fingers
Apr 13th 2016
Josh needs to take as much time as he needs to get help in dealing with ...
Jan 30th 2015
Now that's a badass letter
Jan 30th 2015
one of the first "open letters" i can get behind
Jan 30th 2015
Stephen A response:
Jan 30th 2015
he kinda dropped a few jewels, though...
Jan 30th 2015
yea he bodied most of the rebuttals in here
Jan 30th 2015
He's doing it again. Stephen A talking like he knows him personally
Jan 30th 2015
right
Jan 30th 2015
Pretty much. Just furthered Gordons point
Jan 30th 2015
      Yep, Steven A. was terrible.
Jan 30th 2015
damn called him a young bol and cast doubt that he even wrote
Jan 30th 2015
Jesus
Jan 30th 2015
lol @ Skip questioning the use of "faux outrage"
Jan 30th 2015
Cunt.
Jan 30th 2015
line up here to help OE enable josh gordon
Jan 30th 2015
Damn shame, you spent all night thinking that up.
Jan 30th 2015
      sidenote: it's a lot more fun to agree w/ u than disagree
Jan 30th 2015
      he knew the rules, his union agreed to the rules
Jan 30th 2015
      it's a shame your reading comprehension is so low
Jan 30th 2015
           your definition of 'alcoholic' is meaningless.
Jan 31st 2015
                that's not my definition, chief
Jan 31st 2015
                     purely medical definitions of alcoholism/addiction
Jan 31st 2015
                          josh gordon has a problem with alcohol
Feb 01st 2015
                          Your Obama example is perfect for my argument
Feb 01st 2015
                               i guess you're right
Feb 01st 2015
                               your argument is toyally irrelevant
Feb 01st 2015
                                    Like I've said, I don't accept those definitions
Feb 01st 2015
                          butting in here just to say it was actually four drinks
Feb 01st 2015
                               yeah, i peeped that
Feb 01st 2015
http://media.giphy.com/media/ZztrPL0XFLZMQ/giphy.gif
Jan 30th 2015
yeah, he's on point with pretty much all of this
Jan 31st 2015
I like to smoke weed and drink on weekends
Feb 01st 2015
this is the key
Feb 01st 2015
      exactly
Feb 01st 2015
      his poor choices have cost him less than you think.
Feb 02nd 2015
           you have to be trolling
Feb 04th 2015
      eh kinda
Feb 01st 2015
           what do you mean kinda? your main thing was the main thing last yr
Feb 03rd 2015
He's still delusional about that weed
Feb 01st 2015
nit was insanely strict. 15 nano grams
Feb 01st 2015
      Well damn was not aware of that
Feb 01st 2015
           15???
Feb 01st 2015
FOH with the excuses.
Feb 01st 2015
suspended. 1 year minimum.
Feb 03rd 2015
Well theres that. And I can continue reading these dumbass replies...
Feb 03rd 2015
      lulz. reply 96.
Feb 03rd 2015
      i dunno why dudes tryna flip this like he just put upon and noble
Feb 03rd 2015
           He's a victim of repeated circumstance
Feb 04th 2015
how did Gordon get to stage three of the NFL drug program if
Feb 03rd 2015
that's a good point. denver post article i found says
Feb 03rd 2015
rumor is he failed another drug test
Apr 11th 2016
LOL, but of course he did
Apr 11th 2016
it's like...you say you don't have a problem
Apr 11th 2016
lmao
Apr 11th 2016
He's living with Johnny Football in L.A..... smh
Apr 11th 2016
can you imagine the parties though?
Apr 11th 2016
wonder if they have an extra room for Justin Blackmon
Apr 11th 2016
      :(
Apr 11th 2016
      if nfl network ever wants to go full dirtbag, they have a show
Apr 11th 2016
Legalize it.
Apr 11th 2016
In a way he's an argument against legalization
Apr 12th 2016
      Addiction isn't an argument against legalization.
Apr 12th 2016
      smh you're smarter than this smuts
Apr 12th 2016
      No he's not.
Apr 12th 2016
           glad you're still commenting on me after all the years
Apr 13th 2016
                idiot.
Apr 13th 2016
                     guys
Apr 13th 2016
      lol, whut?
Apr 13th 2016
smh
Apr 11th 2016
he should've just said he was a drug addict. ppl dont feel sorry for id...
Apr 11th 2016
That would have been a good start.
Apr 12th 2016
damn just drafted him in fantasy this past weekend
Apr 11th 2016
that league sounds miserable
Apr 12th 2016
      lmao
Apr 12th 2016
      +1
Apr 12th 2016
      Hey, blowhards was partially blown up because some people argued
Apr 12th 2016
dude's kind of ethering...well, himself
Apr 12th 2016
      Its almost like there is a division in this post
Apr 12th 2016
           Everyone recognizes that he has a "problem."
Apr 12th 2016
                You have shown very little understanding of neuropsych & medicine
Apr 12th 2016
                But dude you yourself conflated the two separate issues.
Apr 12th 2016
                     Lol. No. You guys just aren't very bright.
Apr 12th 2016
                          Ad hominem attacks, a sure sign of a winning argument lol
Apr 13th 2016
                          Not Ad Hominem at all. Basic observation.
Apr 13th 2016
                               I don't think you're not bright. Just wrong.
Apr 13th 2016
petition for reinstatement denied...can reapply Aug. 1st.
Apr 12th 2016
I Am Josh Gordon
Apr 12th 2016
The amount of courage it took for you to share that...wow.
Apr 12th 2016
RE: The amount of courage it took for you to share that...wow.
Apr 12th 2016
      My man
Apr 13th 2016
respect.
Apr 12th 2016
RE: respect.
Apr 12th 2016
Thanks for sharing man.
Apr 12th 2016
RE: Thanks for sharing man.
Apr 12th 2016
damn, thanks for sharing
Apr 13th 2016
RE: damn, thanks for sharing
Apr 13th 2016
honored you felt like you could share this with us
Apr 13th 2016
RE: honored you felt like you could share this with us
Apr 13th 2016
RE: honored you felt like you could share this with us
Apr 13th 2016
thanks for sharing man.
Apr 13th 2016
RE: thanks for sharing man.
Apr 13th 2016
Much respect
Apr 13th 2016
RE: Much respect
Apr 13th 2016
We touched gloves and then spoke about it. You know my stance.
Apr 13th 2016
forbidding someone on the BROWNS from drinking is inhumane
Apr 13th 2016
RE: Josh Gordon kind of ethers...well, everybody
Sep 21st 2016
Sep 29th 2016
somebody posted this on this on Twitter...
Sep 29th 2016
hopefully this is a step in the right direction...
Sep 29th 2016
Excellent, now starts arguably the hardest part
Sep 29th 2016
which is where he clearly needs to be. I wonder what sparked this
Sep 29th 2016
my fantasy team wants him to stay high and play ball
Sep 30th 2016
I'm a keep it a buck. I'd be more understanding if it wasn't weed.
Sep 30th 2016
he wanted off the Browns
Sep 30th 2016
      i wonder if he wants off the league.
Sep 30th 2016
      or he'll leave rehab before next season
Sep 30th 2016
      yep...Hugh said enough is enough...
Sep 30th 2016
Cgonz basically owned this post
Sep 30th 2016
yea he nailed it