Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2328007

Subject: "Keeping them dogs on track: UCONN BBall posts perfect APR score" Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50761 posts
Thu May-15-14 12:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Keeping them dogs on track: UCONN BBall posts perfect APR score"

UCONN has somewhat of a rep as a party school, and they do party out there in the woods, but it is also one of the better public research universities in the country...after all the bullshit that the NCAA put the school through to oust Calhoun, his decision to stall to get Kevin Ollie in as coach is continuing to pay dividends. This score is for last season (2012-13) but the school is confident they will match it for this season....did I mention we just won a chip?

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-apr-scores-0515-20140514,0,4019481.story

UConn Men, Women Both Score Perfect 1,000 In APR

By DOM AMORE, damore@courant.com The Hartford Courant

6:05 p.m. EDT, May 14, 2014

The UConn men's basketball program lifted itself out of hazardous academic territory, scoring a perfect 1,000 in Academic Progress Rate data released by the NCAA Wednesday. The score is for the 2012-13 academic year, covering Kevin Ollie's first season as coach.

UConn knew last fall it had a perfect score for 2012-13. The data became official on the day Ollie and Geno Auriemma received their Winged Foot Awards, presented to the national championship coaches. At the New York Athletic Club, Ollie, responding to recent reports, reaffirmed that while he might listen to overtures from NBA teams, UConn "is where I'm supposed to be" and said contract talks are progressing.

All three of UConn's national championship teams — men's and women's basketball and field hockey — achieved perfect APR scores.

The APR tracks the progress of athletes on scholarship, with programs losing points if they become academically ineligible to compete, or leave school with poor academic standing. UConn was ineligible for the NCAA Tournament in 2013 because of subpar scores, 844 in 2008-09 and 826 in 2009-2010, which dragged down the program's four-year rolling average.
Purchase your Officially Licensed UConn National Championship Gear HERE!

NCAA President Mark Emmert offered praise for UConn's turnaround in men's basketball.

"I was at UConn for four years and like everybody that knows that school well, I was very disappointed to see them have the academic problems they were having," Emmert said on a conference call. "But I've been equally heartened by the response of the university. The president , the athletic director , the coaches and most importantly the players have all stepped up and completely changed the academic performance of the team. … Everybody did a remarkable job, and the membership is extremely pleased and proud of it."

After the Huskies won the national championship, Shabazz Napier, who graduated Sunday, took the microphone and, with Emmert on the stage in Arlington, Texas, declared, "This is what happens when you ban us. …"

Walter Harrison, president of the University of Hartford and chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Academic Progress, added, " should be very proud of their achievements. Everybody from the president to the players has embraced the importance of academics and we applaud them for that."

The UConn men scored 978, 947 and 1,000 over the three most recent academic years, bringing their four-year average to 936, above the 930 minimum to avoid penalty. UConn expects to have 1,000, or close to it, for 2013-14, which would replace that 826 and bump its average well out of danger.

"The bottom line, I know what my kids are doing behind the scenes," Ollie said. "I find satisfaction every day, I see them over in Burton , studying hard, passing tests. Even though we were gone for a month with the NCAA Tournament and all the traveling, they're still getting their things done. Having study hall on the road, those things give me pride and allow me to sleep better as a coach."

Ollie said he got emotional and shed "a little bit of a tear" as he watched Napier, Tyler Olander, Niels Giffey and Tor Watts get their diplomas last weekend.

To put UConn's 1,000 in context, the average score for Division I men's basketball for 2012-13 was 957. According to data released Wednesday, four-year averages for the state's Division I men's basketball schools are 956 for Central, 970 for Fairfield, 969 for Quinnipiac, 955 for Sacred Heart, 995 for UHart and 984 for Yale.

The UConn women's basketball team has a four-year average of 989, achieving scores of 1,000, 976, 976 and 1,000 over the most recent academic years counted.

The UConn football team scored 976 for the 2012-13 year and has a four-year average of 957.

Across the country, the APR for Division I athletics was 976, a two-point improvement from last year. Men's basketball rose from 952 to 957; football from 949 to 951.

"Those are sports we've been paying attention to," Emmert said, "because they have been challenged in the past."

Thirty-six teams from 27 schools, none in Connecticut, fell short of the required 930 four-year average and will be ineligible for postseason play in 2014-15, suffering the same fate as UConn once did. Nearly all of these are from what are considered "low-resource schools," and the NCAA is looking into ways to help, Emmert and Harrison said.

In men's basketball, eight Division I teams will be ineligible next season, including Wisconsin-Milwaukee, which played in the NCAA Tournament in 2014.

With the long delay in reporting and verifying data, teams tend to be penalized after the students who affected the APR are gone, as was the case with UConn. Emmert and Harrison, though, point to the numbers released Wednesday as an indication the focus on academics is getting sharper.

"We've changed the culture of intercollegiate athletics in this country," Harrison said. "There are clear expectations, not only for student athletes, but for coaches and administrators, and the vast majority have taken up this cause with their customary energy and zeal."

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2328007 Previous topic | Next topic