Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2325811

Subject: "Johnny Football is about to have one less target (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Melanism
Charter member
20456 posts
Fri May-09-14 05:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Johnny Football is about to have one less target (swipe)"

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10908822/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-faces-season-long-suspension&ex_cid=sportscenter

Josh Gordon faces suspension
Updated: May 9, 2014, 6:05 PM ET
By T.J. Quinn and Don Van Natta Jr. | ESPN.com

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon could face a season-long suspension after a second failed drug test months ago, this time for marijuana, sources told "Outside the Lines" on Friday.

Reached by phone Friday afternoon, Gordon said: "That's something you're going to have to talk to Drew Rosenhaus about. I really don't know anything about it."

Asked whether he planned an appeal of his suspension and test, Gordon said, "I'm going to have to find out about that later. You need to call Drew," before hanging up.

Rosenhaus declined to comment but said the information was "not true."

The 23-year-old Gordon was expected to the top target for Brian Hoyer or rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel this upcoming season.

Gordon, who was suspended last season without pay for two games and two additional game checks for his first violation of the league's policy, led the Browns with 87 receptions and had nine touchdowns last season. He led the NFL with 1,646 receiving yards and became the first player in NFL history with consecutive 200-yard receiving games.

Gordon said last year's suspension was the result of using cough syrup that contained codeine -- a banned substance.

Two sources told "Outside the Lines" Friday that Gordon's latest violation is the result of marijuana being found during a drug test. One source said that Gordon received a letter in early winter from a league physician stating he had failed a test. A second letter, informing Gordon that he faced a 16-game suspension but had the right to appeal, was sent in late April.

Gordon had drug-testing problems in college as well. He was dismissed from the Baylor Bears after being suspended twice for marijuana use. He transferred to Utah but didn't play there after failing another drug test.

Gordon is considered the star on an offense that added Manziel Thursday night with the 22nd selection in the first round of the draft.

Prior to the draft, Gordon pushed behind the scenes for the Browns to take Manziel.

"I think I was just a big fan of his overall game, his prowess on it," Gordon said Friday on "SVP & Russillo" on ESPN Radio, before "Outside the Lines" reported the substance abuse policy violation. "His outlook on it. His fire and ambition and will to win was greater than I think any other prospect in the draft.

"Despite all the mixed reviews and the media downsizing him, his perseverance seemed to be a lot greater than that. I saw something a lot deeper than just his talent that could take us to the next level."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Johnny Football is about to have one less target (swipe) [View all] , Melanism, Fri May-09-14 05:12 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Welp....Browns fans had a nice 24 hours of optimism
May 09th 2014
This dumb nigga is seriously fucking with my Keeper League emotions.
May 09th 2014
nice league bro
May 09th 2014
cool story bro. tell me more, bro
May 09th 2014
      Inbox?
May 09th 2014
damn, manziel getting excuses before waking up from partying last night
May 09th 2014
COTDAMN!!!! Is weed THAT good???
May 09th 2014
No.....and I'm high as I type this.
May 09th 2014
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc85/napsharmon/Animations/smokalot1....
May 09th 2014
i'm saying...i make the wrong call daily on chicken fingers and running
May 09th 2014
hell no. and I smoke like a chimney. HELL NO.
May 09th 2014
NO. Only drug that feels good enough to cost u a year's salary is heroin
May 09th 2014
C'mon a good Save By The Bell episode could make me skip the DMV
May 09th 2014
      not if I got that good local appointment, toss some ear buds in
May 09th 2014
"Fuck the pussy, gimme the money and the weed"
May 09th 2014
"sources" say it's for weed, don't be naive
May 09th 2014
      what made you think the NFLPA was competent or had clout?
May 09th 2014
seems like weird timing
May 09th 2014
lol..right...feels like they would have stayed and got Watkins...
May 09th 2014
Apparently the team didn't find out until 90 minutes ago
May 09th 2014
      coaches and the like 90 mins ago. Upper management knew 2 wks ago
May 09th 2014
damn weed is not that good. What an idiot.
May 09th 2014
His last suspension was for lean
May 09th 2014
did your "sources" tell you that? ever thought they might be lying?
May 09th 2014
RE: damn weed is not that good. What an idiot.
May 09th 2014
this nigga....
May 30th 2014
May 30th 2014
lol @ the weed belonging to his passenger
May 31st 2014
meanwhile ray rice gets 3 games for wife beating
May 30th 2014

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2325811 Previous topic | Next topic