Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2219112

Subject: "" Previous topic | Next topic
Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22327 posts
Fri Aug-16-13 08:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""

60 Minutes reporting that A-Rod’s camp leaked Ryan Braun and other Biogenesis players’ names to Yahoo!

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/16/60-minutes-reporting-that-a-rods-camp-leaked-ryan-braun-and-other-biogenesis-players-names-to-yahoo/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Alex Rodriguez has, like, 47 people on the planet in his corner. It’s me, a few other like-minded PED apologists, his kids, some friends, his lawyer and a handful of ballplayers, I figure. If this report from 60 Minutes is accurate, he’s doing a great job now of alienating even those left in his corner:

"'60 Minutes' has learned that members of New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez’s inner circle in February obtained and leaked documents that implicated Milwaukee Brewers slugger Ryan Braun as well as his own Yankees teammate, catcher Francisco Cervelli, in the doping scandal that has enveloped Major League Baseball."

"The leak came just days after the weekly newspaper Miami New Times published documents in January detailing Rodriguez’s pervasive use of performance enhancing drugs."

The documents in question are Tony Bosch’s handwritten notes which, unlike those which sourced the Miami New Times report, were unredacted. The report is that A-Rod got his hands on them and released them to Yahoo! The possible implication being that he wanted more people’s names out there. The more serious implication: that A-Rod, in doing so, violated the Collective Bargaining Agreement’s confidentiality clause and also interfered with Major League Baseball’s investigation.

I see a confidentiality clause violation as a real problem. It could serve as a basis for Major League Baseball arguing for greater discipline and defending its 211-game ban. I’m less impressed with an argument that it interfered with their investigation. If true, it actually undercuts the idea that A-Rod was trying to destroy evidence. He was preserving it, actually, even if it wasn’t for pure motives. And if reports at the time were to be believed, Major League Baseball didn’t, as of yet, have access to any of these documents or the names contained therein, so Braun and others’ names being thrown out there actually would have allowed them to expand their investigation, wouldn’t it? It would have served as a lead? That doesn’t excuse A-Rod, of course, but I do think that it’s less than 100% clear that even him leaking things, if true, necessarily impeded MLB’s investigation.

But, if true, this is a potential additional violation of the CBA and it’s certainly an optics problem, as it appears as though A-Rod is throwing players under the p.r. bus. That he was trying to throw the focus off of him for a while. Which was successful, if one remembers how the story so quickly shifted to Braun in the week or so after Biogenesis came to light last winter.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

[View all] , Marbles, Fri Aug-16-13 08:35 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
not surprised.
Aug 16th 2013
damn if this is true, he should just retire and disappear
Aug 16th 2013
A scumbag among scumbags nm.
Aug 16th 2013
LOL....this fucking guy. You almost had your narrative, Shells!
Aug 16th 2013
Team ARod, I Love this Fuckin' guy
Aug 16th 2013
if he really goes full heel, ill applaud
Aug 16th 2013
Jeter taught me...wait for it...it's coming
Aug 16th 2013
Your wrong nobody was talking about roids til Bonds
Aug 16th 2013
      Ken Caminiti disagrees
Aug 16th 2013
Aug 16th 2013
I am somehow surprised and not surprised at the same time.
Aug 16th 2013
good for him
Aug 16th 2013
Aug 16th 2013
dude is the ultimate loser....
Aug 16th 2013
This post looks like a Braun family reunion
Aug 16th 2013
'TISM.
Aug 16th 2013
      Still defendin your boy now??
Aug 20th 2013
obvious decision from a PR standpoint and not all that surprising
Aug 16th 2013
Will he go down as baseball's most hated player?
Aug 16th 2013
I didn't like dude, but I'm starting to support him
Aug 17th 2013
This right here
Aug 19th 2013
Shit has gotten COMPLETELY out of hand with the hate
Aug 19th 2013
      Out of pocket ARod hate got me fighting longtime friends here
Aug 20th 2013
           ^^^ Needs its own post
Aug 20th 2013
Agreed. And the post-plunking HR was pretty baller.
Aug 20th 2013
The hypocrisy of ARod hate right is uncanny
Aug 20th 2013
Im on the fence, I wanna support him, but now suing the team doctor?
Aug 20th 2013
I think the NYY and/or Cashman were trying to recoup money from
Aug 20th 2013
oh I'm loving the shit out of his madmaking
Aug 20th 2013
another Jose Conseco scumbag snitch.
Aug 20th 2013

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2219112 Previous topic | Next topic