Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #749299

Subject: "RIP Richard Roundtree (Shaft)" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13990 posts
Wed Oct-25-23 05:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP Richard Roundtree (Shaft)"

The View Remembers Richard Roundtree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTXppWwiLQ&pp=ygURUmljaGFyZCBSb3VuZHRyZWU%3D

Shaft (trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CukEP_KnFiQ&pp=ygURUmljaGFyZCBSb3VuZHRyZWU%3D

https://www.vibe.com/news/entertainment/shaft-richard-roundtree-dead-81-1234805626/

HOME
NEWS
ENTERTAINMENT

‘Shaft’ Star Richard Roundtree Dead At 81

The Black icon was known for the 'Shaft' trilogy and memorable roles in 'Roots' and 'Man Friday.'

BY MARC GRIFFIN

OCTOBER 25, 2023 9:33AM

Richard Roundtree, star of the original Shaft, has died at age 81. Patrick McMinn, Roundtree’s manager, stated that the actor died on Tuesday (Oct. 24) after a brief bout with pancreatic cancer, The Hollywood Reporter reported. The legend was diagnosed just two months before his death. His family was present when he passed away at his Los Angeles home.

The entertainer was previously diagnosed with breast cancer in 1993 and received a double mastectomy. “Breast cancer is not gender specific,” Roundtree said in ’97. “And men have this cavalier attitude about health issues. I got such positive feedback because I spoke out about it, and it’s been quite a number of years now. I’m a survivor.”

Richard Roundtree is best known for his role as Detective John Shaft throughout the 1970s. He portrayed the man in all three Shaft films, including Shaft, Shaft’s Big Score!, and Shaft in Africa.

Roundtree was often touted as Hollywood’s first Black action star. In fact, his role in the first Shaft helped him become nominated for New Star of the Year at the Golden Globe Awards. The actor also played memorable characters in Roots, Once Upon a Time… When We Were Colored, and Man Friday.

Other stars inspired by the icon paid homage to Richard after the news of his passing. Samuel L. Jackson posted a photo of himself with the actor on Instagram along with a heartfelt message.

“Richard Roundtree, The Prototype, The Best To Ever Do It!! SHAFT, as we know it is & will always be His Creation!! His passing leaves a deep hole not only in my heart, but I’m sure a lotta y’all’s, too,” he captioned a photo showing all three generations of Shaft. “Love you Brother, I see you walking down the Middle of Main Street in Heaven & Issac’s Conducting your song???? coat blowin’ in wind!! Angels whispering, “That Cat SHAFT Is A Bad Mutha, Shutcho Mouth!! But I’m Talkin’ Bout SHAFT!! THEN WE CAN DIGIT!”

Jackson originally played Roundtree Shaft’s “nephew” in the 2000 “sequel/remake.” Jackson and Roundtree then reprised their roles in 2019’s Shaft, with Jessie T. Usher starring as the new Shaft in training.

Gabrielle Union also paid homage to the man who recently played her father in the drama series Being Mary Jane. Union expressed that working with Roundtree was like “a dream” for her.

“Working with Richard Roundtree was a dream,” she typed on X/Twitter. “Getting to hang with him & our Being Mary Jane family was always a good ass time with the best stories & laughs. He was ALWAYS the coolest man in the room with the BEST vibes & ppl would literally run over to come see him. He was simply the best & we all loved him.”

VIBE sends our deepest condolences to the Roundtree family and all those affected by this loss.

Working with Richard Roundtree was a dream. Getting to hang with him & our Being Mary Jane family was always a good ass time with the best stories & laughs. He was ALWAYS the coolest man in the room with the BEST vibes & ppl would literally run over to come see him. He was simply… pic.twitter.com/1N8fHVDsA6

— Gabrielle Union (@itsgabrielleu) October 25, 2023

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #749299 Previous topic | Next topic