Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748863

Subject: "Special Ops: Lioness (Sheridan, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6576 posts
Wed Aug-16-23 12:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Special Ops: Lioness (Sheridan, 2023)"
Wed Aug-16-23 12:32 PM by navajo joe

Sicario for the OANN set.

It's sleek and well-crafted rightwing fan-fiction. It's on some real ra-ra operator shit that guys who drive F-150s and Michael Bay would edge to. It's also very watchable in large part due to solid direction from folks like Hillcoat and others and the quality of the cast esp. Saldana and that it moves fast enough and is stupid enough that you just have to sit back and say "fuck it." or as characters would say in this show "fucking fuck it." Sheridan uses "fuck" in between each word in dialogue like other people use spaces.

It's also clear they poured money into this thing. The action, while generally brief is well-done and mirrors some of the tension/release from the first Sicario film. I hope other major franchise trying to do spy/special ops shit take notes from this in terms of scope/scale and execution.

Sheridan returns to his Soldaldo boogeyman of "cartels are trafficking mooslim terrorists across the borders" again. It further cements my theory that Sheridan is having the career Nic Pizzolatto would have had had season 2 of True Detective not eaten shit and derailed his career.

They're also similar in the sense that you can tell just how far the quality can fall off when left to their own devices or not paired with creative talent that can withstand their baser instincts and overcome their artistic inadequacies.

Unless this is some anthology show that I am unaware of, the fact that they had to put "Special Ops:" in front of Lioness tells you just what level of intelligence of the target audience.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Special Ops: Lioness (Sheridan, 2023) [View all] , navajo joe, Wed Aug-16-23 12:25 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Sheridan know how to make some watchable ass TV
Aug 16th 2023
I tapped out of Tulsa King early
Aug 16th 2023
yeah 1883 blows everything he's done out of the water
Aug 16th 2023
Yeah, tone was a big problem w/ Tulsa King
Aug 16th 2023
Can I just hop into 1883?
Aug 20th 2023
      yes
Aug 20th 2023
      thanks!
Aug 21st 2023
      Yes!!!!!
Aug 21st 2023
           thanks!
Aug 21st 2023
this shit goes hard
Sep 08th 2023
I saw articles saying the 1st ep did record numbers for Pararmount+
Sep 09th 2023
His next series is about Bass Reeves
Sep 09th 2023
1883 gives me hope that he will rock Bass Reeves.
Sep 11th 2023
Yeah this is one I have been tracking
Sep 11th 2023
fucking loved it.
Sep 19th 2023

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748863 Previous topic | Next topic