Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742628

Subject: "pinball was illegal in California?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mynoriti
Charter member
38799 posts
Fri Feb-18-22 12:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "pinball was illegal in California?"
In response to In response to 0

when i looked it up, it said yes. when i asked people who were around, the response was always.. "huh? don't think so. we had pinball"
my guess it it was technically true but not enforced. at least once we got to the 60s and 70s

someoene described this movie as someones faulty memory, so that kind of tracks. i def see the 'Once Upon a Time in the Valley' thing.
Plus I always love how PTA reps the valley. and having lived there a couple years as a kid and was there farily often due to friends, he captures it so well. I can't really explain it other than he really 'gets' the valley. especially in that era.

I wasn't as blown away as most by Cooper Hoffman. I mean he was good but nothing that really stood out. Mostly his character was a version of Max Fischer.

Alana Haim was pretty fucking fantastic tho. And it's weird because in the beginning i found her presence jarring.
It made me question a lot of conditioning . She's not unattractive but def not what I was used to seeing as a female lead (really she just looks like an actual person).
I found myself thinking this could be a side story about say, one of Elizabeth Shue's annoying friends in Karate kid. Also i found her more and more attractive and engaging as the movie went on.

Their 'relationship' dynamic cracked me up. as problematic as it would be today, back in that era/place it's something that would be a conversation piece or an aspect people would make fun of. hardly anyone would be saying its criminal.
in some sense he had the upper hand. she liked his fame, and how easy everything came to him

even the contrast of how easy things were for this child who's kinda breezing trhough life. they generally didn't 'feel' that apart in age, (and she slipped with Cooper that she was 28 and not 25). but there were moments where their age difference felt pronounced, like when she got on the phone with that customer.

I think my favorite funniest moment from her was when she said "I'm a politician"

I could ramble on about this movie for a long time, but just don't ask me what it's about.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Licorice Pizza (PTA, 2021) [View all] , Frank Longo, Fri Nov-19-21 02:06 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Gonna see it this weekend. Cant wait!
Nov 23rd 2021
I loved this, one of those movies I can't stop thinking about the next d...
Jan 12th 2022
Really really enjoyed it
Jan 17th 2022
Trash
Jan 18th 2022
boothisman.gif
Jan 18th 2022
Loved it. PTA does not miss
Feb 17th 2022

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742628 Previous topic | Next topic