Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742567

Subject: "In the minority who found this to be "fine, good enough, etc." (spoilers..." Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Fri Jan-28-22 10:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "In the minority who found this to be "fine, good enough, etc." (spoilers..."
In response to In response to 0

Definitely some very nice moments, and a couple of great performances, but honestly thought it felt like eight episodes stretched into ten in a lot of spots. Contains a number of instances of my biggest pet peeve in shows like this: shows where everyone conveniently forgets or doesn't discuss a hugely important thing, because if they did, then they wouldn't be able to fill the episode allocation. I felt like it happened in a number of the plot lines. After nearly every episode, my wife and I were almost always running down a list of "but why didn't they talk about X?" or "did they just forget about Y?"

Like, the biggest example of this: I was blown away at how quickly none of them thought "but wait, who killed Travis?" in the last couple episodes. The evidence that someone burned candles and then took them away-- in the FORM OF THE FUCKING SHAPE-- is incontrovertible, right? They saw that symbol in the woods, they saw it under Travis in the form of candles... seems like they should have no reason to doubt that a murder happened there. But then, when Jeff spills his guts about the blackmail, Shauna never says, "but hey, did you kill Travis?" And when they're chopping up Adam, and Shauna and Tai are insinuating that Travis just killed himself... Misty knows at this point that Travis's bank was closed after his death, and Natalie knows from Misty as well. Why doesn't anyone bring this up? And it's *baffling* to me that Natalie would just accept "oh, they're right, he just killed himself." BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CANDLES THO?? Like, the only reason to not have anyone address that ever is to save the reveal for the very last scene of the season. I felt like this sort of thing happened a number of times.

Also, I know this isn't fair to Yellowjackets... but for a show borrowing pretty heavily from Lost in a lot of ways, it's just... not Lost. Like, I rewatched Lost a year or two ago, and holy fuck, it's exceptional television. So while watching most of this, with the episode structure, and the "will this wilderness let us leave?" angle, and the people seeing things, and the ending with the Others surrogate... it just ended up with so many shadows of Lost without being better than Lost that the seams just felt a little more apparent to me.

Maybe I'll keep at it to see how the second season starts. The flashbacks are pretty increasingly disinteresting to me, as we know for the most part where all of that is headed and have for some time, but there's still some interesting mystery around the present-day stuff. And it's a good show to have a week between episodes to build conversation-- so even if I'm not as over the moon as others, I like that this style of show is coming back into fashion.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Yellowjackets (Showtime) [View all] , Original Juice, Mon Nov-08-21 01:51 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Yellowjackets (Showtime)
Nov 08th 2021
3 episodes in I love it
Jan 01st 2022
im fucking w/ this
Jan 02nd 2022
It's getting better
Jan 03rd 2022
About Adam…
Jan 14th 2022
im all in, love it, but im very skeptical of the inevitable cliffhanger
Jan 06th 2022
the creators said they planned for 5 seasons when they pitched it
Jan 06th 2022
2 episodes in. This shit is flames.
Jan 08th 2022
was just a matter of time before shrooms were introduced
Jan 10th 2022
i may be way off base for this but..
Jan 10th 2022
I was wondering how they ended up doing demonic rituals and shit lol
Jan 14th 2022
      I feel like
Jan 14th 2022
      As a frequent mushroom user, I thought that was *ridiculous,* lol.
Jan 28th 2022
Yeah, this show is gonna take off for Season 2.
Jan 14th 2022
Finale.
Jan 16th 2022
ok but where's Javi tho
Jan 17th 2022
      I don’t think they did.
Jan 17th 2022
Fun, compelling, and pretty damn stupid *spoilers*
Jan 17th 2022
Ooooof. Couldn’t disagree more.
Jan 17th 2022
      Yeah, at least it was clearly foreshadowed.
Jan 28th 2022
To your biggest concern- I think we have to find out more.
Jan 31st 2022
I'm with you (but not for your main reasons)
Feb 06th 2022
You're probably on to something.
Feb 07th 2022
im sympathetic to this perspective
Feb 11th 2022
binged season 2.
May 28th 2023
Season 2 *spoilers*
May 31st 2023

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742567 Previous topic | Next topic