Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740484

Subject: "All in on all of this. This was fantastic. very balanced. I need three m..." Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44809 posts
Sun Apr-04-21 05:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "All in on all of this. This was fantastic. very balanced. I need three m..."
In response to In response to 0
Sun Apr-04-21 05:21 PM by Cold Truth

Spoilers

The hollow earth shit had my rolling my eyes at first. But ten seconds in, I felt a genuine sense of wonderment. I wanted to know what this was and where they were going. And what we got was genuine character development for Kong. He got a true-blue Heroes Journey, and I'm here for it. They even gave him his own Excalibur.

We also got a glimpse into King's intelligence, which is not insignificant. Ditto Godzilla, because he was hunting down Apex facilities that were working on his demise.

And their fight was every bit the spectacle I'd hoped for. Kong was out there doing Superman punches off of buildings, but he was seriously overmatched with Godzilla's abilities. My guy lost- but I love that they gave us a true winner in that fight. GZ got him- but let up once it was clear he won.

Again: this is all true-blue hero shit. They had their lil beef, but GZ wasn't trying to kill him.

And Mechagodzilla was the goddamned truth. I expected a fight, but nope- GZ got fucking WASHED. Without Kong, he's fucking dead..and also is Kong. And that teamup fucking delivered, right down to GZ charging up Kong's axe. They built both a genuine chemistry and rivalry here.

The humans were whatever. They had a lot of screen time, but for once they felt like they were secondary characters, just there to support the big dogs. I don't care about them, or anything they did. They could be better, but they weren't a detriment here. Skarsgard was unexpectedly quirky and he added some levity to this. The comedy beats worked for the most part, and they didn't overdo it. The kid from Deadpool hadson to exist, but at least they didn't make him one of the grating Bayformers sidekicks.

By and large the main attractions got the appropriate shine here, and we got some serious world-building.

This was well-placed, well-balanced, and well done. The next joint just needs to hold court with this one, and it'll open like a Marvel film

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Godzilla vs. Kong (Adam Winguard, 2021) [View all] , bwood, Sun Jan-24-21 01:31 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
they aint gotta do much to keep me satisfied.
Jan 24th 2021
Praying it's like that
Jan 24th 2021
Doubtful. They kept Millie Bobby Brown, and added the kid from Deadpool ...
Jan 25th 2021
I’m not gonna poke holes. I just want big, stupid fun.
Jan 25th 2021
Kong on PEDs? And he got an axe?
Jan 26th 2021
I seem to recall it being said in Skull Island that he was a kid
Jan 28th 2021
Skull Island was set in the 70’s and they said he was adolescent.
Feb 02nd 2021
lol Kong been in the gym
Feb 02nd 2021
I think we are use to Kong being smaller from his previous movies
Feb 02nd 2021
      A 1200 foot tall ape? Muhphuckas talking to him without a bullhorn
Feb 02nd 2021
I just watched King of the Monsters and I swear if that Mother survived
Feb 02nd 2021
Rewatched the MonsterVerse thus far and I'm ready
Mar 30th 2021
*Spoiler alert*
Mar 31st 2021
RE: i wasnt expecting spoilers in th e headers of this thread
Mar 31st 2021
Exactly what I wanted.
Mar 31st 2021
Whoa. This was kooky.
Mar 31st 2021
This was dumb fun and I loved it
Apr 01st 2021
RE: This was dumb fun and I loved it
Apr 01st 2021
aesthetically, it was enjoyable.
Apr 02nd 2021
split the difference for me.
Apr 02nd 2021
this ni&&a kong really drank some Monsta Energy juice straight from
Apr 02nd 2021
First of these to go for the weirdness of the O.G. Godzilla sequels
Apr 04th 2021
I disagree slightly on the humans, depending on definitions
Apr 04th 2021
yeah. enjoyed this one a lot.
Apr 04th 2021
This one was almost there. Just needs a little less humans...
Apr 05th 2021
Rented out a theater to see this
Apr 30th 2021

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740484 Previous topic | Next topic