Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740001

Subject: "Mank (2020, Fincher Jr, Netflix)" Previous topic | Next topic
benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Sat Dec-05-20 12:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Mank (2020, Fincher Jr, Netflix)"

As far as vanity projects (this was a script that Fincher’s dad had tried to make for a long time and could never find backing for) this wasn’t terrible, but it does too little with its 130min runtime, possibly because Fincher seems more interested in certain aspects of Mankiewicz’ saga than others. The stuff about Upton Sinclair’s campaign clearly is where the film is at its most incisive, and as someone who knew very little about this, kinda made me wish the movie had focused on that aspect more instead of the somewhat turgid scenes showing the Creative Process of drunk Mank fighting with himself and Welles. The movie clearly takes Pauline Kael’s infamous take about Welles having little to do with the Citizen Kane screenplay to heart, but in the process makes him into a caricature that kills off most of the scenes he’s in. On the other hand Charles Dance is woefully underused as Hearst, even though his confrontations with Mank are clearly shown as the tinder that led to the greatness of Citizen Kane.

It ends up a weird product that will have little appeal to anyone not steeped in classic Tinseltown, while providing little insight to those that are. Sure, the acting works (though I don’t totally buy Oldman as a 45 year old, especially when his brother, who was just 12 years younger, show up), the score is fantastic and the cinematography sparkles. And this being a Fincher movie the directing is sharp and no-nonsense. But overall it’s tough to shake the feeling that this is yet another Netflix production, made more out of an abundance of funding than creative impulse

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Mank (2020, Fincher Jr, Netflix) [View all] , benny, Sat Dec-05-20 12:26 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
That last sentence is *chef's kiss*
Dec 05th 2020
I thought it had a real flow to it, and Lily Collins surprised me a lot
Dec 06th 2020
Collins was great, but Seyfried was the standout IMO
Dec 08th 2020
I'm mad he basically ended MindHunter for this
Dec 07th 2020
I loved Mank. It was funny!
Dec 18th 2020
Very standard biopic. Might be Fincher’s worst.
Dec 21st 2020

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740001 Previous topic | Next topic