Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738361

Subject: "I found Penny Prentice's "Uncorked" (Netflix 2020)...problematic" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Apr-06-20 09:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I found Penny Prentice's "Uncorked" (Netflix 2020)...problematic"

It's a Netflix movie so it's a pretty low bar for me to be entertained (e.g., Bird Box) but three was an underlying subtext of the film that bothered me. Perhaps a Spolier: I feel like the underlying premise (or subtext) of the movie is that Elijah wanted more than his simple black family had to offer and he would not find happiness until he was able to enter the white world of being a sommelier. I mean dude had an opportunity to be the owner of a thriving black restaurant business to chase an opportunity to work in a white restaurant? Why is that the goal? Because one is upscale and the other is downscale?

I must admit. My opinion is shaded by the fact that I think a large part of the wine scene is pretentious as hell. I couldn't make it through Sideways. So I was watching the movie and couldn't get into his struggle to become a sommelier and had not alot of interest in learning what it takes to become one. Throw the racial element on top of that and I was done.

I don't want to knock a black film too much publically but yeah...

I could be reading too much into it so I am curious to see if anyone else had the same takeaway.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

I found Penny Prentice's "Uncorked" (Netflix 2020)...problematic [View all] , Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Apr-06-20 09:40 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I couldn't get through sideways and it had Sandra Oh in it
Apr 07th 2020
I thought it was OK. But I disagree w/ your assesment.
Apr 08th 2020
I liked it. Disagree with your assessment. He just wanted to do wine
Apr 08th 2020
I agree w your take on the sommelier scene
Apr 08th 2020
I agree to a certain degree
Apr 10th 2020
Eh - I enjoyed it for what it was. Disagree on the take
Jun 17th 2020

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738361 Previous topic | Next topic