Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #736186

Subject: "okayplayer has a show (kinda) - hip hop: the songs that shook america" Previous topic | Next topic
howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Oct-02-19 02:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"okayplayer has a show (kinda) - hip hop: the songs that shook america"

executive produced by ?uesto, black thought, and shawn gee along with alex gibney among others, on AMC as part of its visionaries series. if you have fond memories of the musical jewels and hip-hop tales shared on thissite, this one's for you.

https://www.amc.com/shows/hip-hop-the-songs-that-shook-america

the first episode has been available at the above link and elsewhere for a few weeks now, and it's on "jesus walks." i put off watching it, somehow unable to muster the enthusiasm, but i needn't have. as might be expected from the pedigree listed above, it's brilliant. i used to be such a fan, and i still learned a lot. the well-known but still enjoyable vintage footage was put to great use alongside new talking head interviews and location shoots. it's a nostalgia trip that is more importantly well done and informative. i thought it might be stretching my interest to focus an entire episode on one song, but by the end i could have easily watched more.

honestly, AMC visionaries is some of my favorite programming on tv right now, and i devour every series. this looks to be no exception. i've seen a little preview of the season but am avoiding looking ahead to exactly what's coming up. i just know it will be good. it starts officially on the 13th.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

okayplayer has a show (kinda) - hip hop: the songs that shook america [View all] , howisya, Wed Oct-02-19 02:50 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
*bookmarks*
Oct 02nd 2019
did Jesus Walks really shake America? I always skip that track
Oct 11th 2019
RE: did Jesus Walks really shake America? I always skip that track
Oct 11th 2019
not that good of a song
Oct 15th 2019
Episode one is free download from iTunes
Oct 13th 2019

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #736186 Previous topic | Next topic