Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #734889

Subject: "uh...." Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Mon Sep-09-19 04:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "uh...."
In response to In response to 0

(just the last paragraphs of the article)

https://slate.com/culture/2019/09/it-chapter-two-movie-vs-book-mike-hanlon.html

MOVIES

It: Chapter Two Adapts a Storyline About Racism Into a Storyline That’s Racist

The 2019 movie manages to be less progressive than the 1986 novel it’s based on.

By JACK HAMILTON

The filmmakers’ “solution” to this is made disconcertingly evident in the second film. As a young child, Mike Hanlon apparently watched his parents die in a fire, and he harbors guilt over not having done enough to save them. This event is hinted at in the first film, but in oblique ways that also evoked the book’s 1930 Black Spot fire, when a nightclub frequented by black soldiers was burned to the ground by the Ku Klux Klan–like Maine Legion of White Decency, an event that Hanlon’s father first recounts to him in 1958. It’s particularly disturbing, then, when the second film reveals that Hanlon’s parents were drug addicts (“crackheads,” specifically) who died in a fire that seems to have been either the direct or indirect result of their own drug use, while a young Mike is shown watching them burn alive while seated on his tricycle.

It is one thing for the filmmakers, in transposing a story from the late 1950s to the late 1980s, to dial down the explicit racism a young black character faces. Social mores do indeed change. But to transform the only black protagonist from the child of responsible, nurturing parents into the child of negligent crack cocaine addicts is far worse than lazy writing; it’s to actively draw from a deeply racist set of cultural tropes. In the transition from book to film, Mike Hanlon has arguably gone from a victim of racism at the hands of Henry Bowers to a victim of racism at the hands of the filmmakers. I don’t think that this was done with malicious intent, but I do think it is the product of the filmmakers not knowing how to wrestle with some of the novel’s most challenging but crucial material. Not unlike the town in which it’s set, Muschietti’s It only sees what it wants to.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

It: Chapter Two (Andrés Muschietti, 2019) [View all] , bwood, Thu May-09-19 11:01 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Should have been called "It: Takes two"
May 09th 2019
hope the rest of the movie is like that scene.
May 09th 2019
agreed
May 10th 2019
I enjoyed it for the most part
Aug 28th 2019
3 hours?
Aug 28th 2019
I'm okay with 3 hours
Aug 29th 2019
RE: I enjoyed it for the most part
Aug 29th 2019
did the journalist leave before the end? (spoilers)
Sep 09th 2019
      "but I didn't think that particular aspect was as problematic"
Sep 09th 2019
           I'm just reacting to this part
Sep 09th 2019
                "I might be way off base though" - why is there a might possibility
Sep 10th 2019
Saw it on Saturday
Sep 09th 2019
yeah, the 'final battle' was ridiculous
Sep 10th 2019
The Police/Parents in this movie were the damned WORST
Sep 11th 2019
I was told that the book explained it
Sep 12th 2019
      At least it makes sense when Pennywise or people under
Sep 12th 2019

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #734889 Previous topic | Next topic