Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732137

Subject: "Apostle (Evans, 2018)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Sat Oct-13-18 10:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Apostle (Evans, 2018)"

The Netflix feature film trash heap keeps getting higher.

I think I actually like this a little less the Hold the Dark, which is saying something.

After this and the Raid 2, it is pretty clear Gareth Evans ambitions far outstrip his abilities when it comes to storytelling. The film manages to feel both rushed and overlong. There's no logic to the island, the cult or the actions of any of the characters.

It is a film that clearly wants to say things about religion, faith, corruption, redemption, patriarchy but is too stupid to utter anything sensible or worthwhile. There's certainly a kernel of a great idea here and in the hands of a capable filmmaker it could be great.

Evans even manages to work an awful performance out of Stevens which might be the movie's greatest sin. Stevens has been uniformly excellent in everything I've seen him in and has proven himself to have a chameleonic ability and a natural magnetism (see The Guest) but here you can just see him acting in ALL CAPS.

I know Evans has lost interest in doing a Raid 3 or even other martial arts films but after this, that's about all I'm interested in seeing him do.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Apostle (Evans, 2018) [View all] , navajo joe, Sat Oct-13-18 10:28 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
these netflix movies really shouldnt be this bad.
Oct 13th 2018
Netflix's quality control is definitely lacking.
Oct 13th 2018
*shrug*, I liked this one too
Jun 23rd 2019

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732137 Previous topic | Next topic