Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732086

Subject: "The simple pleasure of Blade." Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Tue Oct-09-18 11:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The simple pleasure of Blade."

There is no huge multiverse with dino lizard attack cruisers. There is no trust fund; Blade and Whistler are robbing vampires. Blade doesn't bump into Daredevil or Punisher. He ain't kicking it in the barbershop playing chess. There are no sultry single moms sidling up to him like, "Hey there, I like that leather duster."

Wesley is just meditating, doing pushups, jumping in his whip with his sword, and whipping vampire ass.

The opening scene in the vampire disco has aged well- you still feel a bit of empathy for the woody harrelson looking muhphucka when the fire sprinklers start churning blood out all over the dance floor, and the appearance of the clean black boots still makes your pulse race.

The story is straightforward, the score has a lot of boom-bap in it that gives the pace an edge- it doesn't feel like two hours.

This is the best David Goyer movie- he doesn't have a lot to fuck up- no timelines crossing; there is no losing sight of who is at the center of the story- just a man with a gun and sword, fighting vampire hordes.

N'Bushe is still fine as frog hair, and she kicks a good amount of ass; there is no build up of drama to see what decisions a character will make- when Karen is dumped by Frost in the zombie pit, she quickly dispatches her old boyfriend with a femur and proceeds to keep it moving.

And of course Frost is a badass.

Blade is 20 years young and I hope that it is never rebooted. Put Blade in an MCU series (maybe teaming up with Daredevil), but don't try and bring it back sans Wesley. We all know what happened after this classic, but its nice to return to it and see the foundation of the Marvel aesthetic. DAYWALKER!

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The simple pleasure of Blade. [View all] , Castro, Tue Oct-09-18 11:42 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
You need to lump Blade 2 in this
Oct 10th 2018
naw, Blade 2 is great, but I have one main issue with it
Oct 10th 2018
hell yeah
Oct 10th 2018
RE: NOW
Oct 10th 2018
Agreed, except that I'm okay with a reboot
Oct 10th 2018
But Goyer would undoubtedly be in charge. That would suck.
Oct 10th 2018
me too
Oct 10th 2018

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732086 Previous topic | Next topic