Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #731704

Subject: "pk and 3 idiots" Previous topic | Next topic
howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 10:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "pk and 3 idiots"
In response to In response to 0

these are the best movies i've seen in the last few weeks. i need to emphasize they were maaaaasssive hits in their country of origin, but here they qualify for your post. they aren't produced by any streaming company, however. pk was finally added to netflix recently, but 3 idiots i don't believe is streaming anywhere.

i watched 3 idiots first, and it surprised the hell out of me. it reminded me how much i love watching asian movies because they help me feel less alone in my thoughts, i just apparently live on the wrong continent. i can't remember why i rented this, and i didn't have high hopes because the few bollywood movies i can remember seeing didn't impress me much. this movie had everything. it is overall a comedy but is so much more. maybe if i spoke hindi and grew up in india i would have a very different reaction and be less impressed, but i'm not so sure. there's a reason it was such a hit there. i was very moved by it, and it is very funny even from an outside perspective because it touches so much on universal themes and ideas while still being very much about india and indian culture.

a few years after that movie was made, writer-director rajkumar hirani and megastar aamir khan (seriously, after watching 3 idiots, i was surprised how deep and varied his filmography is) reteamed for pk, which in hindi is a homophone for "tipsy" as in drunk. this one has a slightly shorter run time, more songs, a bit less innocence, and is about as ambitious. it is a satirical takedown of authority figures in government and religion but manages to be lighter than 3 idiots because the main character is a humanoid alien, whereas the setting for 3 idiots is a school.

for a director i had otherwise never heard of and who hasn't done many films, rajkumar hirani has a terrific sense of style and is able to justify comedies that run well past 2 hours, nearly 3 for 3 idiots. that's because they have so much more depth than the comedies we are used to seeing in the u.s., regardless of their budget or mode of distribution. these lengthy films are gripping and absorbing, a total joy and a journey to watch, with the nuance you get out of really good dramedy tv series, and i can't recommend them more highly.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Off the beaten path movies [View all] , budz4zo, Tue Sep-18-18 12:45 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Brawl In Cell Block 99
Sep 18th 2018
same
Sep 18th 2018
Good People (2013-James Franco)
Sep 18th 2018
cross-post
Feb 11th 2019
netflix added 3 idiots
Nov 07th 2019
Another example... Armed
Sep 19th 2018
Standoff at Sparrow Creek (Dunham, 2018)
Nov 07th 2019
Five Fingers for Marseilles (South African Western-Matthews, 2018)
Nov 07th 2019
Pusher Trilogy - Nicolas Winding Refn
Nov 07th 2019
third is SO good
Nov 07th 2019
      couldn't agree with all of that more.
Nov 07th 2019

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #731704 Previous topic | Next topic