Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #729257

Subject: "Trailers with Footage Not In the Movie (Discussion)" Previous topic | Next topic
BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue May-01-18 06:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Trailers with Footage Not In the Movie (Discussion)"

This happened in the Infinity War Trailer (Hulk, Iron Man getting KO'd by Thanos, etc), but the most recent best example I can think of is Rogue One, where almost everything you see in the trailer is not in the film.

Once upon a time, it would have annoyed me. Now? I almost prefer it this way.

Why?

It successfully gets you excited for a movie. At the same time, it doesn't spoil anything, AND it saves you from that trap we've all fallen victim to where the best shots and jokes of a movie are already in the trailer.

On top of that, these 'misleading' trailers are cut in a way that preserves some of the twists of the movie/series (i.e. Thor's eye, Hulk in battle, etc).

The downside is that yes, it's bait and switch.

(It might not be coincidence that all the examples I can think of right now are coming from Disney).

At this point where I almost want to avoid the trailers for films I'm interested in, this is a way to build the hype will still offering up very little as far as the actual product.

Thoughts?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Trailers with Footage Not In the Movie (Discussion) [View all] , BigWorm, Tue May-01-18 06:19 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I completely agree...
May 01st 2018
yup. It's the best way, as long as it's not lying about the content
May 01st 2018
Infinity War also didn't have that charging scene...
May 01st 2018
I'm not offended by it anymore
May 01st 2018
I don't care
May 01st 2018
I love the trailer misdirections. Great idea.
May 01st 2018
I stopped watching trailers years ago. Never looked back.
May 01st 2018
Same here
May 01st 2018
i usually don't notice
May 01st 2018
I see. Yeah, trailers don't serve the same function anymore
May 01st 2018
IDC
May 02nd 2018

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #729257 Previous topic | Next topic