Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725850

Subject: "not as bad as reviews make it out to be (i know i know but its true)" Previous topic | Next topic
araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Nov-25-17 08:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "not as bad as reviews make it out to be (i know i know but its true)"
In response to In response to 0
Sat Nov-25-17 08:21 PM by araQual

a slightly better step in the right direction for DC.
we know it's a superhero team up film going in, so they're gonna pretty much rush through the new characters origin stories (that's what the solo films are for). we know they existed from the epic "quicktime files" that ppl love referencing lol. so i'm not mad at that.
i think everyone in this thing is pretty well cast.
Batfleck is giving us a Batman we haven't really seen portrayed on screen yet: aged and not giving much of a fuck.
Momoa's Aquaman was badass. his solo film is gonna crush it (i been a Momoa fan since Stargate: Atlantis, which is also funny considering). his chemistry with Bats should be explored further as they play well off each other (both actors are fairly quippy n funny, makes sense pairing em together).
Cyborg was definitely a grower. was played well, n gave us hints of his story resulting in a complicated r/ship with his dad. didn't need to expand on it. but suffice to say he was pretty integral to the team's success.
Flash has been portrayed many times, and while i didn't mind what they did with Barry here, the actual special fx of him running are handled better in the CW show than it was here (when he's running while he's accessing the speed force, it looks like he was slo-mo jogging, which kinda takes me out of the moment and that particular power). CW Barry's running has him moving his arms and legs ridiculously fast to match the speeds he's traveling. but that's a small nerdy gripe (it's hard to make a dude look cool while running fast, but CW did a better job).
Supes was obviously coming back. and i'm not sure he came back 'evil' for the brief scenes he was wrecking shop. the film follows the GoT checklist of resurrection by stating that 'you lose something' when you come back. so i didn't see it as 'evil Supes', just a disoriented god trying to find his footing & spark his memories. it's good to see him joking around a bit, seems like the group dynamic is what's going to turn around any negative opinion on Cavill's take. i always dug the animated series version of Supes, spesh when paired with Batman. Bats was always able to bring out the wry sarcastic humour out of Supes.

Steppenwolf. he's a villain. he destroys worlds. he DID namedrop Darkseid so at least they're still thinkin of using him down the line. but we've all been here. MANY times. it's a staple so it's never going to change. ah well.

look, i'm surprised i even enjoyed any of this, considering the iffy track record so far (MoS + WW aside). it could be cos of the Whedon influence that slightly tempered Snyder's cinematic voice (although the reasons that even happened was tragic as fuck) & added some jokes. i didn't really find the mix of tones jarring. god-like characters can't all be serious brooding loners. you live like a fucking god, you *should* develop a sense of humour. cos the stakes are never that serious lol (unless you're Bruce).

at this point, there is no competition with Marvel's run, or with their planning & execution of their cinematic universe. & i'm not a fanboy either way, just a film nerd judging from what's released. Marvel's vision came out of an understanding of their characters, and the ability to leave the world wide open enough to include anyone or anything. DC's entire cinematic run feels slapped together and not well-earned. like they threw everything at the wall in the hopes it would stick, ride that wave that Marvel set up.

i don't even wanna be one of those dudes saying "well, if they can make the NEXT one like this and this and this, they could still turn it around...!".
no.
other than an Aquaman solo joint?
there is no 'turning it around' anymore.
the tone and feel of this universe has already been established since MoS. i don't think much will change. and the only 'step in the right direction', and the only thing that'll keep bums in seats, are the characterisations of these beloved comic heroes. in that respect, forming the JL is the DCEU's best bet to continue limping on and (who knows) maybe pull off an out-and-out commercial and critical success down the line with a future JL movie (technically that's not me saying they'll 'turn it around', just that they can make a win using the formula they've already been working with).

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Justice League discussion/spoilers post (Zack Snyder, 2017) [View all] , bwood, Tue Nov-14-17 09:24 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
this is not surprising
Nov 14th 2017
And that's basically the entire movie.
Nov 14th 2017
Now there's an artist I haven't thought about in a while
Nov 14th 2017
      Be careful Robbie L is enjoying a resurgence in popularity
Nov 14th 2017
           he likes going at people on twitter and IG too
Nov 14th 2017
                Yo I've seen it
Nov 21st 2017
eh
Nov 17th 2017
Exceeded my (low) expectations
Nov 18th 2017
my 2nd favorite of the dceu
Nov 18th 2017
RE: my 2nd favorite of the dceu
Nov 19th 2017
RE: my 2nd favorite of the dceu
Nov 19th 2017
Wasn't bad. Wasn't good either
Nov 18th 2017
This shit couldn't even clear $100 million on opening weekend.
Nov 19th 2017
I'd hate to be a WB office tomorrow morning
Nov 19th 2017
      Kevin T gotta get fired now
Nov 19th 2017
           Run time mandate or corporate meddling?
Nov 19th 2017
                Both *links*
Nov 19th 2017
Dope. Very entertaining and a good jumping off point.
Nov 19th 2017
lol
Nov 20th 2017
I enjoyed it but I have no concrete reasons why
Nov 21st 2017
i knew what it was gon e going in, so i enjoyed it...
Nov 24th 2017
I enjoyed this
Nov 24th 2017
A breakdown on why JL's box office is bad business
Nov 25th 2017
This article was spot on...
Jan 28th 2018
So, Coco wins the weekend. Is it safe to say JL is done domestically?
Nov 26th 2017
I got the sense that they made it primarily for international
Nov 27th 2017
Not as bad as Suicide Squad, not as good as BvS
Nov 27th 2017
Box Office Irony: 'Justice League' To Gross Less Than 'Man Of Steel'
Dec 04th 2017
What could've been. The OG script.
Dec 05th 2017
man, that sounds like a convoluted POS
Dec 05th 2017
      Honestly at this point, that's the DCEU M.O.
Dec 05th 2017
           It had some good bones though
Jan 28th 2018
Finally saw it a few days ago via Chinese buccaneering
Jan 28th 2018
"it's too dark"
Jan 29th 2018
      I've actually heard this argument many times
Jan 29th 2018

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725850 Previous topic | Next topic