Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #719472

Subject: "RE: "I Am Not Your Negro" - James Baldwin documentary" Previous topic | Next topic
The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Tue Feb-07-17 03:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: "I Am Not Your Negro" - James Baldwin documentary"
In response to In response to 0

Thought this was excellent, but as far as 2016 documentaries by talented black filmmakers that use potent archival footage to both underline the country's history of glaring racial inequities and draw parallels between mid-20th century and the present day, I may have narrowly preferred 13TH even if it's a little more "conventional" in structure and presentation.

This is a fucking awesome testament to Baldwin, though. He's electric. I could easily watch a few more volumes of documentaries just like this one that use basically just his words.

Some of my favorite parts of I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO were Baldwin waxing poetic about the underlying racial politics of classic era Hollywood films. Insightful and fascinating.

----

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

"I Am Not Your Negro" - James Baldwin documentary [View all] , TheRealBillyOcean, Thu Feb-02-17 09:13 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Stellar.
Feb 03rd 2017
Agree on more of Baldwin, but yeah, this is great.
Feb 05th 2017
Probably next saturday
Feb 05th 2017
Go see this
Feb 06th 2017
This joint was phenomenal. Saw it last night.
Feb 07th 2017
wanted to like it more than i did
Mar 17th 2017

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #719472 Previous topic | Next topic