Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #702785

Subject: "What he said" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8608 posts
Sat Sep-19-15 08:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "What he said"
In response to In response to 0

http://www.thewrap.com/matt-damon-has-twitter-seeing-red-over-project-greenlight-diversity-comment/

“When we’re talking about diversity you do it in the casting of the film not in the casting of the show,” Damon said in an exchange with producer Effie Brown

Matt Damon has come under fire on social media for an exchange that aired during Sunday night’s season premiere of HBO docu-series “Project Greenlight.”

In choosing a director for a comedy with a black prostitute as a main character, Damon and his fellow producers – including Ben Affleck, the Farrelly brothers and “Dear White People” producer Effie Brown – debated the finalists they had to choose from.

Brown lobbied for the directing duo of Leo Angelos & Kristen Brancaccio, an Asian man and white woman, arguing they could bring a diverse perspective to the script.

Also Read: Fall TV Preview: 126 New and Returning Shows Premiere Dates

“I would want to urge people to think about – whoever this director is, how they’re going to treat the character of Harmony,” she said. “The only black character who’s a hooker who gets hit by her white pimp.”

Damon retorted that Angelos and Brancaccio, out of the group of finalists, were the only ones who did not bring up the potentially problematic issues with the Harmony character.

“So on the surface they look like one thing, but they might end up giving us something we don’t want,” he said.

Also Read: 'Mindy Project's' Ed Weeks, Newcomer Melanie Zanetti Join Project Greenlight Film 'Leisure Class' (Exclusive)

But his next statement is when viewers decided he crossed a line.

“When we’re talking about diversity, you do it in the casting of the film, not in the casting of the show,” he said, referring to the need to focus on diversity during casting, not during the staffing of the show.

“Wow. Okay!” Brown answered in amazement.

Many social media users were just as exasperated as Brown. They relentlessly roasted Damon on Twitter and caused the hashtag #damonsplaining to trend for several hours on Monday.

Also Read: Matt Damon Is Confident 'Jason Bourne Would Kick the Sh-t Out of Batman'

“Matt Damon speaking over the only black person in the room so he can explain diversity to her is SO WHITE it hurts,” said Twitter user MrPooni, whose tweet has been retweeted over 3,000 times and favorited nearly 2,500 times.

“Project Greenlight” ended up choosing New York-based director Jason Mann, a white male, for the job, and the rest of the season is set to follow Mann as he sets out to direct the Farrelly brothers’ script, “Not Another Pretty Woman.”

Also Read: Ben Affleck, Matt Damon to Produce FIFA Scandal Movie for Warner Bros.

Reps for Damon have not yet responded to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Below is a sampling of social media reactions to the “Project Greenlight” exchange:

*click link to read tweets*

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Matt Damon's diversity comment. [View all] , bwood, Sat Sep-19-15 08:42 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Matt Damon's apology
Sep 19th 2015
when content management goes wrong, lmao
Sep 22nd 2015
white folks in hollywood gonna be white folks in hollywood
Sep 19th 2015
I was surprised this came from Damon
Sep 19th 2015
Insularity.
Sep 19th 2015
      Bollocks! Matty D. is one of my best mates. We did 3 films together!
Sep 20th 2015
      lmao
Sep 22nd 2015
      Lololol
Sep 22nd 2015
      lmao
Sep 23rd 2015
      ha!
Sep 24th 2015
      There it is.
Sep 21st 2015
      How does that translate into the real world though?
Sep 23rd 2015
i'm not mad or surprised
Sep 21st 2015
nice.
Sep 21st 2015
it was a weak point and I'm surprised he made *that* the argument
Sep 22nd 2015
lol That's not an apology.
Sep 23rd 2015
I'm stunned it made the cut
Sep 23rd 2015

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #702785 Previous topic | Next topic