Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #685054

Subject: "My nigga Fincher and my nigga James Ellroy are doing a noir show for HBO" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Sun Sep-14-14 08:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My nigga Fincher and my nigga James Ellroy are doing a noir show for HBO"

Noir is back!!!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/david-fincher-james-ellroy-plotting-1950s-crime-noir-series-for-hbo-20140908

David Fincher has wanted to make a classic crime noir for several years now. People tend to forget, but the filmmaker almost directed “The Black Dahlia” (he was attached before Brian De Palma eventually took over), and for several years he tried to make “Torso,” an Eliot Ness crime thriller about the famous detective trying to stop a serial killer in 1930s Cleveland (director David Lowery is making that now).

In fact, when Fincher was attached to the adaptation of James Ellroy’s ‘Dahlia’ novel, he envisioned a five-hour, $80-million miniseries with movie stars (Tom Cruise being the lead). That obviously didn’t happen and the project fell through (and Fincher moved on to “Zodiac”). But it seems that Fincher is circling around a similar idea, once again with Ellroy.

Sources close to the project (the same sources who told us about the new Lonergan project announced this weekend, that we unfortunately slept on because of TIFF) tell us that Fincher and Ellroy are talking to HBO, and planning a noir-ish crime show set in L.A., in a similar 1950s milieu (like Ellroy’s “L.A. Confidential”).

Details are scare at the moment, but Fincher and Ellroy are mutual admirers who go way back—after the “Black Dahlia” fell through, the two artists stayed in touch, and Ellroy even participated on one of the commentary tracks on the director's cut of "Zodiac" in 2007. No deal is in place yet, and all parties are still discussing the matter (though this could change soon), but the possibility of Fincher doing a hard-boiled '50s neo-noir with the great James Ellroy is a tantalizing prospect (note: pal Steven Soderbergh had a similar idea with Michael Douglas involved last year, but then got distracted with "The Knick"). As the L.A. Times wrote back in 2007, the men have a “mutual interest in obsession and the destruction it leaves behind.”

Fincher has “Gone Girl” coming in the fall, but at the moment his attention has shifted away from film towards television, and right now he is actively developing three TV shows and no movies. And a lot of it is happening at HBO. One is the aforementioned Ellroy project, another is reteaming with “Gone Girl” author Gillian Flynn for an adaptation of her “Utopia,” which already has a series order at HBO, and there’s also “Mind Hunter,” an old project with Charlize Theron involved (just as a producer) about the investigation of serial killers. That one was announced in 2010, but Fincher hasn’t given up on it. It could even turn up at Netflix.

To that end, Fincher's washed his hands clean of "House Of Cards" and won't be back to direct any more episodes. This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who watched season two become Beau Willimon’s thing, and Fincher announced his own shows around the same time. Fincher helmed no episodes in the second run and was barely involved creatively. Now all that's left is a token executive producer credit.

For those wondering (or hoping), tax credits in Australia or no, Fincher is still not directing Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" any longer (he removed himself to that project a year ago and that hasn’t changed). Several issues were at hand there, but a $200 million dollar 3D project from an uncompromising filmmaker might have been the biggest hurdle. The project always made Disney nervous, and Fincher is not a fan of banging his head against the wall with films that don’t move forward. In case it does progress—for what it’s worth, Disney wanted Chris Hemsworth as the lead at the time—as of now it looks as if screenwriter Scott Z. Burns is still attached.

But right now Fincher’s finding the path of least resistance is in television. Studios there are all too happy to have him, and the idea of going, long, wide and deep into characters and story is currently his new fascination. If and when these projects get off the ground Fincher will be heavily involved, directing episodes and being integral to the creative process. But it seems, at the moment, the filmmaker's interest has shifted toward long form cinematic storytelling on different avenues of premium cable television.

Fun fact: the 2013 "Black Dahlia” graphic novel is co-credited to David Fincher because Matz (née French comic book writer Alexis Nolent) was so influenced by conversations with the filmmaker (who almost adapted Matz’s “The Killer” graphic novel back in the day).

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

My nigga Fincher and my nigga James Ellroy are doing a noir show for HBO [View all] , bwood, Sun Sep-14-14 08:03 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm here for it
Sep 09th 2014
After witnessing the reaction to True Detective, a majority of niggas he...
Sep 09th 2014
      But True Detective was great tho
Sep 09th 2014
           Yes. Massive amounts. nm
Sep 09th 2014
                niggas straight up hated...
Sep 09th 2014
                     And that's the fucking problem right there...
Sep 09th 2014
                          RE: And that's the fucking problem right there...
Sep 09th 2014
I'm not sure if Fincher would/could reign in Ellroy's insanity...
Sep 09th 2014
Most of Fincher's shit is dark and pulpy, so it seems like a pefect fit
Sep 09th 2014
That's the main thing that bothered me about the TD criticim
Sep 10th 2014
So, the show is called "Shakedown" *swipe*
Dec 18th 2014

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #685054 Previous topic | Next topic