Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #662167

Subject: "This shit is getting a last minute 3D conversion *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8597 posts
Tue Feb-04-14 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "This shit is getting a last minute 3D conversion *swipe*"
In response to In response to 0

This never goes over well.

http://collider.com/need-for-speed-3d-post-conversion/#more-310581

Well this is disheartening news. Scott Waugh‘s Need for Speed, which looked like an entertaining, gritty, hardcore action film with an emphasis on practical stunts, is now getting a last-minute 3D post-conversion. For those unfamiliar with the film, it chronicles a cross-country race against time as a blue-collar mechanic (Aaron Paul) who was framed for manslaughter by a wealthy, arrogant ex-NASCAR driver (Dominic Cooper) sets out for revenge in a high-stakes underground racing tournament.

Yesterday, Box Office Mojo tweeted ‘Need for Speed’ will now be released in 3D. It’s unlikely the 3D post-conversion was always in the works since none of the marketing material, including this past Sunday’s Super Bowl spot, said the movie would be in 3D (something ads always seem proud to proclaim as if that’s still an exciting selling point). There’s no word if Waugh will be overseeing the conversion. Hit the jump for more. Need for Speed opens March 14th.

With the exception of Gravity, it’s difficult to think of another film with a stellar 3D post-conversion. At best, it’s unnecessary, and at worst, it’s a migraine-inducing eye-sore. While the domestic demand for 3D has died down over the past couple of years, it’s currently fueling international sales, so we have to keep putting up with it.

However, the studio obviously knows this, so why are we only learning about this five weeks before the movie opens? Clash of the Titans showed us what happens when you rush a conversion, and even if you make the argument that the technology and our ability to handle post-conversion 3D has advanced since then, I repeat: when was the last time you saw this handled well, especially so close to the release date?

The move for this late 3D post-conversion is disappointing, because the movie looked like it had potential. Now, it looks like the studio is trying to inflate the opening weekend box office because they know that the picture’s quality isn’t enough to draw people into the theater.

Read more at http://collider.com/need-for-speed-3d-post-conversion/#hSC6MS2cCdVSGYu8.99

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Need for Speed (Waugh, 2014) starring Aaron Paul & Kid Cudi [View all] , bwood, Mon Jun-02-14 02:23 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Need for Speed (Waugh, 2014) starring Aaron Paul & Kid Cudi
Sep 26th 2013
:24. I was there!
Sep 26th 2013
Crudi was shocked as shit when he realized this wasn't Need for Weed
Sep 26th 2013
Whatever they filmed near my job,
Sep 26th 2013
They filmed by mine too.
Sep 26th 2013
im amazed this really got made.
Sep 26th 2013
kid cudi? is this a DONDA production?
Sep 26th 2013
This new trailer has me suped excited!!!
Nov 18th 2013
It's filling the void the FF series left with fast car races.
Nov 18th 2013
i'm surprised he went this route for his first theatrical starring role
Nov 18th 2013
Yea it looks dumb as shit, but I still want to see it. New trailers.
Feb 03rd 2014
^Exactly.
Feb 03rd 2014
They might as well make this the theme song for the movie
Feb 03rd 2014
I caught a screening... And, I gotta say, it isn't bad.
Feb 21st 2014
I agree with phenompyrus.
Mar 10th 2014
Oh and the 3D is bullshit.
Mar 11th 2014
I think we may be alone on this though.
Mar 13th 2014
They filmed a bunch of the driving scenes around the corner
Mar 11th 2014
Finally saw this last weekend
Apr 21st 2014

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #662167 Previous topic | Next topic