Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #645443

Subject: "Bruce Timm steps down as DC animation Supervising Producer" Previous topic | Next topic
hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Mar-29-13 02:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bruce Timm steps down as DC animation Supervising Producer"

Long live James Tucker

http://blackfolksmakingcomics.tumblr.com/post/46611076738/breaking-news-james-tucker-is-the-new-supervising
"Breaking News: James Tucker is the new Supervising Producer of all DC Animated projects effective immediately as the previous Supervising Producer, Bruce Timm (one of the architects of the DC Animated Universe alongside Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, and later Dwayne McDuffie), is stepping down to work on other projects.

Mr. Tiucker’s no wide-eyed newcomer to DC Comics animated media. He has worked on numerous titles. He directed five episodes of Static Shock (including the very first episode) as well as episodes of Batman Beyond (which gave him an Emmy) and Legion of Super Heroes, which he also produced. Other producing credits include Justice League/Justice League Unlimited and Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Mr. Tucker is also the director and producer of the upcoming DC Animated film Superman Unbound."

http://voicesfromkrypton.net/vfk-exclusive-dc-tooniverse-bruce-timm-steps-down-as-producer/

There’s a change coming to the DC Tooniverse, and not just with the cancellation of Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series, but in terms of the continuing series of made for Blu-ray/DVD films that began with Superman Doomsday in 2007 and will next be represented by this May’s Superman Unbound. Most notably, Bruce Timm, who has been guiding the vast majority of things DC animated since the debut of Batman: The Animated Series in 1992, has stepped down from his position as producer, initially to have focused his energies on GL and, more significantly, to develop some of his own projects. Stepping into his place as supervising producer is James Tucker.

Tucker, of course, is no newbie to this world having served as producer of Justice League, Legion of Super Heroes and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. He’s also been credited as a director on Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Legion of Super Heroes and, currently, Superman Unbound.

“Bruce had done a lot since Justice League Unlimited ended,” explains Tucker, “so it’s been quite a haul. I can’t speak for him, but I think going out on Dark Knight Returns was a special thing for him. If he was going to make the break, that seemed like a good time.”

Tucker emphasizes that his goal is to keep things going in the “right” direction, living up to the reputation of what’s preceded him in this role. At the same time, on a personal level, he hopes to “shake things up a bit.”

“I’d love to use more of a variety of characters, but that’s something I don’t have control over,” he says. “Granted Dark Knight Returns was long overdue to be adapted and I’m glad they did it and did it superbly. But beyond that, I’m not really interested in replicating, image by image, word for word, something that was in a comic book, because you can’t replicate that experience or feeling. You’re basically getting a secondary experience, so you have to make it your own in order to make it work as a movie. Creating films in which people are going through it with a checklist saying, ‘Okay, they took that out, they took that out…” I’m not interested in doing anything like that.”

For some fans who have been following the animated films, there is a growing frustration over the fact that the vast majority of the flicks center around Batman or Justice League, and then Superman, with many other characters not getting the same kind of opportunity to be featured. Of course there have been attempts, most notably with Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and even the collection of short films, DC Showcase, but the responding sale figures didn’t support the idea of such forays. Tucker, for his part, believes that there’s a creative way around this particular challenge.

“I can’t go into specifics,” he says, “but I have a feeling when we announce our next slate of movies, people are going to be very excited because we will be using Batman, Superman and Justice League as a gateway to exposing other characters.”

One example he can refer to is the already announced Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, which will take a Flash-centric approach. “I can’t think of any other classic DC stories that I want to adapt, and I’m not big on adapting stuff anyway. Once you’ve done Dark Knight Returns, that’s the ultimate DC adaptation. So my attitude is, ‘OK, this leaves me open to doing interpretations of characters and stories,’ so what we’ll be doing with Flashpoint is kind of changing the dynamic a little bit. Doing things that are based on characters and situations from the comics, but not literal adaptations. They’ll be more like original stories along the lines of what we did with Green Lantern: First Flight and Wonder Woman. There won’t be as many literal adaptations. That’s a step in the right direction, because this is a Flash focused story, and it’s probably the only Flash focused story that would sell, because there is a version of the Justice League involved.

“Our challenge,” he continues, “is that people want us to do these other characters, but if they don’t sell that threatens the whole line. So the way to do it is to be smart. If we know we’re going to use Superman, Batman and the Justice League, how do we use them as gateways to these other characters? If Batman, Superman and Justice League bring in the average person who’s not a comic book fan, once you have them you insert a Huntress or a secondary character like Oracle as a means of introducing them to more of the world. But you’re not going to be able to do an Oracle movie. Unfortunately the Green Lantern and Wonder Woman movies didn’t perform like we would have liked them to, even though I thought they were among the best we’ve done.”

There will be other changes in forthcoming releases, all part of Tucker’s desire to bring a sense of continuing evolution to the line. “I want our movies to feel like contemporary movies you’d see in a theatre,” he muses, “so that means even changing up the way we do the main titles. I want more variety in how we do things and in the types of things we do. I’d love to do a DC comic that is humorous, like Justice League International. And that could be a possibility down the line. The title Justice League is a selling point now. It works on its own so even if you don’t have Superman and Batman in it – okay, Batman’s in it and we could probably find a way to put Superman in it — it would work. Besides, we wouldn’t adapt a literal story from the run. That’s just an example of what I mean. Not every superhero movie has to be the same type of movie with the same kind of tone. There’s different ways to bend the genre. It’s good to mix up the format and not just do the same kind of heavy story. I want them to feel like different types of movies. Who wants to see exactly the same type of movie every time we do one of these?”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Bruce Timm steps down as DC animation Supervising Producer [View all] , hardware, Fri Mar-29-13 02:08 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
The DC toons were the only thing they were doing right too
Mar 29th 2013
They're being replaced by two new DC shows.
Mar 29th 2013
      Don't have enough to keep 2 shows people like running? Word?
Mar 30th 2013
           Depends on what their budget is for those DC shows
Mar 30th 2013
           Here's something to look up: how many concurrent DC toons
Mar 30th 2013
I've been telling niggas that WB needs to hire Bruce Timm and Paul Dini
Mar 29th 2013
ye that woulda seemed like a no-brainer
Mar 29th 2013
Post-"John Carter", it may be more skeptical about animates directing li...
Mar 29th 2013
      RNa yo. Talking to regular niggas, they love the animated films homie pu...
Mar 30th 2013
marvel this is yo chaaaaaaaaance!
Mar 29th 2013
Truuuuuuue!
Mar 30th 2013
Can you imagine?
Apr 01st 2013
update. he's just taking a break. he'll be back w/ a new JL cartoon.. (l...
Mar 31st 2013
sweeet. new JL. in the DCAU Timmverse. this can't suck
Apr 01st 2013
so he was supervising producer of _all_ of Warner Bros. Animation?
Apr 01st 2013
http://i.imgur.com/ifYUt.gif
Apr 02nd 2013
      lol
Apr 02nd 2013
hopefully in the interim he'll give us more cmoic book covers
Apr 01st 2013
Maaaan, muthafuck The Flash!
Apr 02nd 2013
?
Apr 02nd 2013
ninja can run fast
Apr 02nd 2013
      Actually, yes. Or try to vibrate through them.
Apr 02nd 2013
           No he isn't
Apr 06th 2013
                What happens when a layperson makes comics analogies...
Apr 06th 2013
                ...ur dissin RAPH now? lol
Apr 06th 2013
                What in the fuck does that mean?
Apr 07th 2013
YOU don't know wtf you're talking about....
Apr 06th 2013
running fast isn't The Flash's power
Apr 07th 2013

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #645443 Previous topic | Next topic