Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #635019

Subject: "Samuel L goes Pass the Popcorn & talks M. Night and Tarantino" Previous topic | Next topic
TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Dec-20-12 02:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Samuel L goes Pass the Popcorn & talks M. Night and Tarantino"

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/samuel-l-jackson-says-m-night-shyamalan-hasnt-made-a-good-movie-since-unbreakable-20121220

Samuel L. Jackson Says M. Night Shyamalan Hasn't Made A Good Movie Since 'Unbreakable'

The last time this writer wrote something even slightly negative about M. Night Shyamalan on this very site – the phrase "diminishing returns" was thrown about if memory serves - it was open season in the comments section. The writer-director certainly still has his passionate fans who don’t need much provocation in order to jump to his defense, but it seems that Samuel L. Jackson isn’t one of them. The actor is known for speaking his mind, and during an interview over at the Huffington Post to promote “Django Unchained” he did just that on a variety of issues, including the career of Shyamalan.
As the conversation moves onto “Unbreakable,” and whether we’ll ever see him in a sequel to that movie Jackson doesn’t mice his words regarding his former director. Here’s the brilliant exchange that follows, which is probably best read in its entirety:

“We're never going to see a sequel to that movie, are we?"
There were supposed to be three. I don't know.
People liked "Unbreakable."
You'll have to ask the brilliant director who wrote it and didn't do the rest of them.
He moved on to "The Last Airbender."
I mean, he hasn't made a really good movie since then.
"Signs" was OK.
There's some issues. I didn't like that thing in the cornfield.
I thought it was OK.
I didn't see the Wahlberg one.
"The Happening”?
Yeah.
I haven't either. But wouldn't "Unbreakable 2" be a good career movie for him?
Yeah! Well, he suffered from what happened to Quentin when he made "Jackie Brown.” He didn't make "Pulp Fiction 2," he made "Jackie Brown" -- which is a wonderful fucking movie.”

The conversation then briefly segues into a discussion of “Jackie Brown,” but soon returns to the topic of M. Night and “Unbreakable”…

“If M. Night announced tomorrow that "Unbreakable 2" is going to happen, it would be all over the Internet.
Everybody would be waiting for it, yeah. It would be crazy for it. It would trend through the roof now on Twitter. But, yeah, they would. But Quentin makes movies that Quentin wants to see. I don't think M. Night makes movies for the same reason. Quentin makes movies that are genres that he wants to see. "I like Spaghetti Westerns -- I'm going to write a Spaghetti Western. I like blaxploitation movies, too - so I'm going to make the protagonist black." So, he's got a blaxploitation western with Hong Kong undertones. The "Bullet Ballet" undertones. He wants to see it and I want to see it. I want to be in that kind of movie.

I think M. Night gets too caught up on having to have a twist.
Yeah, there's that. And there's, you know, "I'm smarter than everybody coming to watch my movie." Quentin's not that. He's just, "I want you to love my movie. I want you to love it and enjoy it because this is fucking cool."

So that’s a pretty damning indictment of M. Night’s career. That’s five of Shyamalan’s movies there that Jackson’s writing off straight away, as well as questioning his filmmaking intentions and suggesting that the director believes he’s smarter than his audience. It’s a shame, because Jackson’s right, we probably would go crazy for an "Unbreakable" sequel, and let’s not forget that QT himself rates that movie incredibly highly and we’d be inclined to agree with him. But after that brutal assessment it sounds like that sequel probably won’t ever happen, and neither does it sound likely that Jackson will be buying a ticket for “After Earth” when it hits on June 7th then. And if he does, well expect to hear exactly what he thought of it.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Samuel L goes Pass the Popcorn & talks M. Night and Tarantino [View all] , TheRealBillyOcean, Thu Dec-20-12 02:16 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Well we'll DEFINITELY not get to see Unbreakable 2 now!
Dec 20th 2012
http://c.asset.soup.io/asset/1716/1084_a5ac.gif
Dec 20th 2012
Does anyone expect Sam to do otherwise?
Dec 20th 2012
I personally didn't know Q & MNS were pitted against each other...
Dec 20th 2012
I'm still mad I typed out that breakdown of their works & Nolan's
Dec 20th 2012
Althought if ANYONE would do this, it would be Sam.....
Dec 21st 2012
My nigga. nm
Dec 20th 2012
dang hes right
Dec 20th 2012
I approve. I mean, Samuel ain't lying so what's the issue?
Dec 20th 2012
I don't think M. Night sucks as a director at all.
Dec 20th 2012
      RE: I don't think M. Night sucks as a director at all.
Dec 20th 2012
           I thought Lady in the Water was well-acted.
Dec 20th 2012
                RE: I thought Lady in the Water was well-acted.
Dec 20th 2012
I was here
Dec 21st 2012
^^^he was here
Dec 21st 2012
      ^^^he replied here
Dec 21st 2012
once again...so much EFFORT put in to hatin on Night Dogg
Dec 21st 2012
Hold up right here
Dec 21st 2012
we just disagree
Dec 21st 2012
      You think Night is better than Spike? Or Spielberg!?
Dec 21st 2012
           Spike?
Dec 21st 2012
What do you think it is?
Dec 21st 2012
it's cultural inertia...it's "cool" to hate on him. period.
Dec 21st 2012
      I strongly doubt this is the case with Sam Jackson though...
Dec 21st 2012
           i'm sure sam has a lotta strong opinions that will cost him
Dec 21st 2012
agree with this
Dec 22nd 2012
I read this, and immediately wanted to buy SLJ a drink...
Dec 21st 2012

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #635019 Previous topic | Next topic