Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #597014

Subject: "Charlize Theron and Black Hollywood: What She Doesn't Get" Previous topic | Next topic
SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Jan-26-12 11:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Charlize Theron and Black Hollywood: What She Doesn't Get"

So, this article is interesting and folk should really listen to the roundtable (which was quite good this year)

But, though I do see Samuels points, I didn't get the impression at all that Theron was dismissing Davis. I think it genuinely was "don't say that you look good as hell, etc."

But, I had wished Davis was able to expound more upon the subject at hand (the lack of roles for actors and actresses of color and why Hollywood refuses to do much about it, etc.)

So, I'm not seeing the racism aspect of this at all...or is it there and I'm not seeing it?

Thoughts?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/24/what-charlize-theron-doesn-t-get-about-black-hollywood.html Allison Samuels original blog post at The Daily Beast

What Charlize Theron Doesn’t Get About Black Hollywood
by Allison Samuels Jan 24, 2012 8:14 AM EST
During Newsweek’s Oscar roundtable, The Help’s Viola Davis tried to speak about the difficulties of being a black actress in Hollywood—but a well-intentioned reply from Theron was just another example of the problem.

PrintEmailComments (377)
Charlize Theron surely meant no harm. The actress genuinely thought she was complimenting fellow thespian Viola Davis during this year’s Newsweek Oscar roundtable when she told Davis, “You’re hot as shit.’’

Their exchange revolved around Davis’s comments on finding work as an African-American actress. Davis, who has won praise for her starring role in The Help, was attempting to explain the difficult plight of being black and female in the movie industry. “I’m a 46-year-old black woman who really doesn’t look like Halle Berry, and Halle Berry is having a hard time,” said Davis.

No doubt hoping to forge a sisterly bond, Theron rushed in to reassure Davis that she was indeed “hot’’ and naively implied that a simple change of attitude would make a world of difference. Her exact words—“You have to stop saying that, because you’re hot as shit.’’

How sweet of Theron to say, and how thoroughly misguided and offensive as well. Davis was honestly confronting a number of painful and complicated issues faced by many women of color in Hollywood today—issues Theron (who was born in South Africa to parents of European descent) more than likely has never encountered and would have done well to listen to. The Oscar roundtable was the perfect forum for such a discussion, and yet Theron’s verbal charity managed to downplay the importance of Davis’s point. What difference does it make if Davis stops speaking a truth if the reality remains?

Actresses Charlize Theron and Viola Davis attend a Golden Globe Awards post-party at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Jan. 15, 2012, John Shearer / Getty Images

In Hollywood, where even legendary filmmaker George Lucas had to fight and ultimately use his own money to get an all-black film (Red Tails) made, black actresses still struggle to find quality work. When they do, they are rarely cast as ideals of beauty or objects of desire. On the odd occasion that they are, only a certain look will do. Berry, who is biracial, has long been viewed as Hollywood’s most beautiful black actress, and some would argue that much of her success is based on that belief. Apparently Theron didn’t get the memo that mainstream culture strictly dictates what beauty is—and by those narrow standards, Viola Davis doesn’t fit the bill. Has Davis graced the covers of any of the beauty and fashion magazines that Theron lands with ease, whether she has a project or not? She hasn’t. Davis’s only covers on major publications such as Entertainment Weekly and The Hollywood Reporter also featured her costars from the film or George Clooney. Her “hotness” was apparently not enough to warrant a solo appearance despite the fact that she may soon snag her second Oscar nomination for The Help. The reasons for this are as varied as they are disturbing, and Theron’s overly simplistic advice only underscores the lack of understanding many have around a reality they either don’t comprehend or don’t fully appreciate.

Apparently Theron didn’t get the memo that mainstream culture strictly dictates what beauty is.
Davis’s work has been consistently stellar throughout her career, yet her most celebrated role to date may just be that of a maid to a white family during the ’60s in the Deep South. Some viewed The Help as another stereotypical representation of black life, but Davis still found a way to shine in her work. Diverse and well-defined parts such as the ones Theron enjoys—a ruthless killer in one film, a dying woman in love in another—aren’t offered to Davis, nor are well-paid endorsement deals with Christian Dior. In the world Davis lives in, you take a role like the one of Aibileen in The Help because you’ve long given up on the notion that more balanced, nuanced parts about women who look like you are on the horizon. You understand that even in major films that feature African-American male stars, you may not get to costar as the wife, girlfriend, or partner because big studios get more “bang for their buck” when the female is of another race.

As one studio executive pointed out, “black man, black women, black kids equals black movie.” So when Will Smith does a film like Hitch, Eva Mendes gets to play his love interest and not Viola Davis. As well meaning as Charlize Theron is, she has no clue what it means to be a dark-skinned African-American woman whose beauty is seldom showcased in national commercials for perfumes or on mega billboards on Sunset Boulevard or even celebrated in the latest video by the hottest rappers. In the world Theron lives in, simply not saying something makes it go away. In Davis’s world, it doesn’t.

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Charlize Theron and Black Hollywood: What She Doesn't Get [View all] , SankofaII, Thu Jan-26-12 11:34 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
What an awful, wildly speculative article.
Jan 26th 2012
Yeah, it seems like a reach
Jan 26th 2012
exactly, the writer is out of bounds...n/m
Jan 26th 2012
RE: What an awful, wildly speculative article.
Jan 26th 2012
Yeah, she went HAM for no reason
Jan 26th 2012
      RE: Yeah, she went HAM for no reason
Jan 26th 2012
           Also, why comment when articles like this happen.
Jan 26th 2012
           Yep
Jan 26th 2012
                RE: Yep
Jan 26th 2012
Seems like she had an article she wanted to write
Jan 26th 2012
      RE: Seems like she had an article she wanted to write
Jan 26th 2012
i remember reading that and being annoyed by charlize, honestly
Jan 26th 2012
damn, dude... Viola ain't no supermodel
Jan 26th 2012
tilda/cate...whatever
Jan 26th 2012
Cameron Diaz hasn't been sexy since The Mask
Jan 26th 2012
Yep Article's not a stretch to me
Jan 26th 2012
See, I don't get that implication at all.
Jan 26th 2012
Agreed on the EW cover.
Jan 26th 2012
If you watch the video, Charlize is just referring to Viola's comment
Jan 26th 2012
      Fassbender *WAS* odd to me...
Jan 26th 2012
      i dont think he was being disingenuous
Jan 26th 2012
      i know...doesn't change what i said. in fact, it's my point.
Jan 27th 2012
           RE: i know...doesn't change what i said. in fact, it's my point.
Jan 27th 2012
                RE: i know...doesn't change what i said. in fact, it's my point.
Jan 27th 2012
                     Because Clooney and his high minded films employ black actresses...
Jan 27th 2012
                          RE: Because Clooney and his high minded films employ black actresses...
Jan 27th 2012
                               Clooney disproves his own (and your) point.
Jan 27th 2012
*sigh* this shit is kiddie pool
Jan 26th 2012
RE: *sigh* this shit is kiddie pool
Jan 26th 2012
      ah yes
Jan 26th 2012
damn you!
Jan 26th 2012
RE: damn you!
Jan 26th 2012
      agreed
Jan 26th 2012
But she's South African!!!
Jan 26th 2012
Typical BOHO BULLSHIT
Jan 27th 2012
Basically...
Jan 27th 2012
      she wasn't being self-deprecating. that's what you're missing
Jan 27th 2012
      Listen to it again. She ACCEPTED that her looks are downplayed
Jan 27th 2012
      All I know is, as a man...
Jan 27th 2012
this whole topic is weird
Jan 27th 2012
RE: this whole topic is weird
Jan 27th 2012
This is what Bohos do. They are opportunists
Jan 28th 2012
Not Holly,..but I know where Charlize CAN get some Black wood
Jan 27th 2012
OOP! LOL!
Jan 27th 2012
No one mentioned that Theron is an African-American?
Jan 27th 2012
^^^Blinded by the white
Jan 28th 2012
That article is bullshit, ignore it.
Jan 28th 2012
RE: That article is bullshit, ignore it.
Jan 28th 2012

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #597014 Previous topic | Next topic