Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #499329

Subject: "THEATER IN NYC: Talk about what you've seen recently." Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Mon Jan-25-10 03:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"THEATER IN NYC: Talk about what you've seen recently."
Mon Jan-25-10 03:45 PM by Frank Longo

I just got back from my first of several trips over the next few months. I'll be seeing the new Martin McDonagh play, the Fences revival, and the new Kristoffer Diaz play in my coming trips. For now, here's what I just saw.

Hair revival- Awesome. Just awesome. The singing kicks ass, the visuals are great, and it's just a lot of fun. Try to get a seat at stage level and not mezzanine if possible. You'll know why when you see it.

Race (the new Mamet play)- My friend said it was "like a freight train," and I couldn't agree more. Sure, there are some embellishments on how lawyers work and how discrimination cases work... and of course there are some bits of white people talking about how black people are and black people talking about how white people are that will certainly ruffle some feathers. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, the acting is terrific (especially David Alan Grier and James Spader... Washington does well in her Broadway premiere but you can kind of tell it's her Broadway premiere... her voice doesn't carry as well as the others), the script is sharp and funny and provocative. It's worth the pricey ticket imo. I'd be happy to talk more spoilers on this if need be.

Next to Normal- I didn't get to see Alice Ripley. Shit. BUT the music rocks, and the understudy has a major set of pipes. See this while as many of the original cast remain as possible. WARNING: If you have family issues (divorce, illness, dysfunction, etc.), you will likely cry. Everyone I saw it with wept. I can also go into spoilers here too if need be.

What have you seen recently? What do you recommend for those visiting the Big Apple?

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

THEATER IN NYC: Talk about what you've seen recently. [View all] , Frank Longo, Mon Jan-25-10 03:44 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
all theatre this season begins and ends with FELA
Jan 25th 2010
I support this.
Jan 26th 2010
      It's the only show...
Jan 26th 2010
           I'm going to see it in Feb when I come up for the McDonagh.
Jan 26th 2010
Bridge Project version of As You Like It.
Jan 25th 2010
the last fifteen minutes of HAIR are remarkable.
Jan 26th 2010
hahahaha
Jan 27th 2010
      Nope. Chicago production.
Jan 28th 2010
For Off-Broadway, I also MUST recommend Smudge.
Jan 26th 2010
question for ppl that have seen fela:
Jan 26th 2010
I'm broke, but when I get some money I want to see
Jan 27th 2010
also for discounts: broadwaybox.com
Jan 28th 2010
i saw fela
Feb 07th 2010

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #499329 Previous topic | Next topic