Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #488026

Subject: "Seen it. Couple things here. (SPOILERS)" Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sun Jan-03-10 03:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Seen it. Couple things here. (SPOILERS)"
In response to In response to 0
Sun Jan-03-10 04:14 AM by ZooTown74

First off, every single person who has posted up to this point in the post is (almost) correct:

- Jeff Bridges does deliver a damn fine performance; I'm stopping short of calling it brilliant, however, because...

- it does seem like he's doing nothing but channeling Kris Kristofferson, who apparently is a legend in the country songwriting community, and for more than just writing country songs (and songs for Janis Joplin)... but that said, this film reminded me just how underappreciated Jeff Bridges is as an actor (Sponge left out one of his best roles, and that was Starman back in 1984)... this guy takes a familiar character and gives him so much charisma and likability that you root for him not to fuck it all up... but when he does, he's so smooth that you easily forgive his faults and transgressions. Believe what they're saying: Bridges really does do some great, possibly-Oscar-stealing work here...

- the movie IS The Wrestler for country music fans; a washed-up entertainer aims for one last go-round with the help of a loving woman... actually, check that, the only real similarity this movie has to The Wrestler is that the lead character is low on life's totem pole... the woman he gets involved with (Maggie Gyllenhaal) is actually a low-level journalist who's just starting out, not a washed-up dancer, and as a whole, the movie seems just fine with simply following Bad Blake around as he falls for this woman and this woman's son and tries to wreck everything with his drinking... there's no big gig that we work toward, unlike the big wrestling match at the end of The Wrestler... in other words, "nothing happens," but that was fine with me...

I'm not a country music fan (I mean, what self-respecting "Hollywood Hipster" is, har har har), but I liked the songs in this movie a lot, particularly the lyrics, a lot of which deal with the usual: having a lot of fun then regretting it, getting into trouble with women, drugs, liquor, etc. The music was cool...

The only problem I had with the movie was that two of the most important people in Bad Blake's life were played by two actors whom I just could not buy as "country" folk: Maggie Gyllenhaal and... Colin Farrell? Yep, Colin plays the big country star who was mentored by Bad Blake and kinda-sorta tries to pay homage to his mentor by letting him open one of his big stadium gigs. I like Colin Farrell as an actor, but he was almost comical here with his shifting country twang. And while you know that Jeff Bridges actually sang his songs, there's never any doubt that Colin didn't sing a word of his (even though he gets credits for singing them... cmon, fam)... and when Maggie, as Jean the aforementioned journalist, mentions that she's from Enid, Oklahoma, I wanted to howl in disbelief. Don't get me wrong, her performance as a single mother with some realistic expectations of and reactions to what Bad Blake does was fine, but she really coulda just said she was from Ohio or some shit, and it would have been more believable...

I didn't have much of a problem with the May-December nature of Bad and Jean's relationship, only because Maggie played Jean as if she knew the ledge and had been through some rough patches as a single mom (even if she didn't have any speeches that suggested it), and like I said, I was pleased that her reactions to Bad (and how his actions affect their relationship) felt realistic...

Again, there will be complaints that "nothing happened," but I was willing to roll with the movie because I was fascinated by Bad Blake... Bridges played him as if he had SERIOUS mileage on him, a man who could probably keep you entertained with stories about his life experiences for days... it's another stellar performance from a man who doesn't get enough award show credit for the many he's had... this might be the year that finally changes.

also on Facebook

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Jeff Bridges' performance looks brilliant in the Crazy Heart trailer [View all] , Sponge, Sun Nov-22-09 05:40 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
The Door in the Floor is slept on overall
Nov 22nd 2009
he reminds me of Kris Kristofferson here
Nov 22nd 2009
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.
Nov 22nd 2009
Looks like The Wrestler for country music fans
Nov 23rd 2009
and/or Tender Mercies
Nov 23rd 2009
      It's similar to both, but stands on it's own.
Jan 05th 2010
           RE: It's similar to both, but stands on it's own.
Jun 25th 2010
thanks.
Jan 05th 2010
I lost a bet cuz of your review, fam.
Feb 02nd 2010
My bad... did you at least get to hit?
Feb 02nd 2010
      Of course.
Feb 02nd 2010
How many legit Southern actors got turned down for Tommy Sweet...
Jun 21st 2010
Colin Farrell is in this joint? Oh, yeah, I'm going.
Jan 04th 2010
I'll check it out....even though I don't give a damn about country
Jan 05th 2010
Crazy Good. I didn't notice any KK comparisons tho.
Jan 08th 2010
Didn't love Bridges here as much as
Feb 02nd 2010

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #488026 Previous topic | Next topic