Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #476186

Subject: "I enjoyed the shit outta this. Put Damon into the Oscar race." Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Sep-26-09 04:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "I enjoyed the shit outta this. Put Damon into the Oscar race."
In response to In response to 0

I thought the performances from Melanie Lynskey and Scott Bakula were strong as well... and I loved how the script detailed this guy's gradual and inevitable downfall... it's a tricky thing, as once you realize that this guy is not well mentally there's a chance that the story could turn into a sad requiem for a fuck-up, but it refuses to do so... or it at least holds off on doing it as long as it can... I also dug the score and thought it fit surprisingly well...

Anyone who says anything about this being "smug" clearly wasn't paying attention... the reason there's an exclamation point on the title is most likely because it reflects the idea that this screwed-up guy thinks he's Taking A Stand Against Corporate Malfeasance!... even though he's actually a bipolar nutjob who stole money from his company... I mean, there's a reason the pre-credit "Based on a True Story" title card ends with "So There!"

Even when we find out what's really wrong with Mark Whitacre, there's really no reason to feel any kind of sympathy for him; he tried to beat the system and when he got caught, he repeatedly lied and remained in denial until it all caught up with him...

Anyway, I attended a screening with a Q & A with the writer Scott Z. Burns afterward...

He said when he first pitched the idea to Section Eight (Soderbergh and Clooney's now defunct company) he screwed up the pitch, so he called and asked for a "do-over;" they let him come back and he nailed it...

He said Soderbergh told him that he didn't want to make a straightforward corporate thriller, because the story's just so outrageous... so Soderbergh told him to go away and come back with a crazy-yet-funny take on the story... Scott said he finally focused on the notion of, "What was he thinking?" He also said Soderbergh gave him complete freedom to write and tinker with the script, and didn't cut or rewrite a word of it when he turned it in...

Scott also said Marvin Hamlisch said that the score was supposed to reflect Mark's inner mindset, and that the voice-over containing Mark's inner monologues were actually his (Scott's) own random thoughts that he has sometimes, and were not necessarily Mark's actual thoughts...

Scott noted that Soderbergh chose a 70's (not 60's) aesthetic mainly because he considers the 70's to be the greatest period of filmmaking, and he wants his work to reflect that; it's not meant to be a commentary (ironic or otherwise) on Mark or the setting at all...

There's some other stuff I'm forgetting; if I remember it I will return and add it... otherwise, I thought this was a really good flick...

also on Facebook

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Informant! [View all] , ZooTown74, Fri Sep-18-09 02:52 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm very excited about this
Sep 18th 2009
me too
Sep 18th 2009
I just realized this was Soderbergh like last night, I'm going
Sep 18th 2009
RE: I just realized this was Soderbergh like last night, I'm going
Sep 18th 2009
      Cel's gonna score himself some free senior coffee at Micky D's
Sep 18th 2009
           I'm still miffed they make me bring my own cocktails to the theater
Sep 18th 2009
This looks good to me. I wanna see it
Sep 18th 2009
I passed on a sneak peek last week cause it started lookin trite
Sep 18th 2009
what situation?
Sep 18th 2009
      whistleblowin
Sep 18th 2009
RE: The Informant!
Sep 18th 2009
I saw a sneek preview on Monday and loved it.
Sep 18th 2009
i liked it a lot...damon was great
Sep 18th 2009
guess your calls for SS to retire were too soon
Sep 19th 2009
      He def needs to retire those digital camera indie films... they're AWFUL...
Sep 19th 2009
RE: The Informant!
Sep 19th 2009
What do you guys make of this review by Matthew Purpletuna?
Sep 20th 2009
RE: What do you guys make of this review by Matthew Purpletuna?
Sep 21st 2009
I enjoyed it, but at first I was wondering why the 60's vibe.
Sep 22nd 2009
I thought the score was one of the best parts of the movie.
Sep 25th 2009
I really liked this.
Sep 21st 2009
i must agree with this assessment of the film
Sep 24th 2009
Didn't like it
Sep 22nd 2009
Some thoughts (could be considered spoilerish)
Oct 13th 2009

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #476186 Previous topic | Next topic