Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #463219

Subject: "Wordman's director's cut review" Previous topic | Next topic
Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Sun Jul-26-09 03:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Wordman's director's cut review"
In response to In response to 0

Just the movie, I'll review the DVD itself in the next post.
I'll try not to include any spoilers.
The added scenes definitely help the movie, with maybe the exception of the last Hollis Mason scene. It's a great scene, but wasn't necessary and didn't really add to the movie.
Places where the theatrical release failed are the same places the director's cut failed.
It still feels hurried at the end.
Some of the acting is horribly cardboard. Malin Akerman was ridiculous, Dr. Manhattan shows more emotion - seriously. Matthew Goode is never comfortable as Ozymandias. It looks particularly bad because the other actors are doing good work. Patrick Wilson delivered a phenomenal understated performance, exactly what the part needed. Billy Crudup does a good job with Dr. Manhattan (even if his part doesn't feel as good as the other leads). The two jokers in this deck (Haley as Rorschach and Morgan as Comedian) stand out in the script and performance, with Haley trumping.
The dumbing down effect that occurs in American movies, and is promptly compounded with American comic book adaptations, is present here. Carla Gugino will never look 60 years old. She won't look 60 when she's 60. She won't look 60 when she's 70. It would have confused no one if an ACTUALLY 60 YEAR OLD WOMAN played the mother and Carla did the flashbacks. But apparently the audience isn't smart enough to figure that out. There's points where the script gets "comic book corny", plus the "this movie needs to be a big blockbuster" requirements. But you know that going in, which breaks your fall some.
There's surprisingly little they didn't film from the book, with notable exception being the newspaperman and the kid reading the comic. And the detectives' angle is never brought up. Oh, and the black freighter comic stuff (which they made a motion comic out of).
Bottom line - it's very difficult to make subversive material mainstream. When it works it's Fight Club (which made NO money in theatres). When it fails it's everything that looks like it's trying to be Fight Club (too many films to list). And Watchmen if VERY subversive, on top of being unfilmable for other reasons.
That being said, Snyder and co. made as good of a movie as one probably could, given their circumstances. So while the material would have been much more successful as a tv mini series, it doesn't fail as a movie. If anything, it makes you want to read the comic, which I feel is what the movie should do.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Wait No Watchmen Director's Cut Post? Ok Here it is: [View all] , Shawn Maxam, Sun Jul-19-09 10:38 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Wait No Watchmen Director's Cut Post? Ok Here it is:
Jul 21st 2009
BLU-RAY must buy of teh year!
Jul 21st 2009
I'll wait til December.
Jul 21st 2009
Yeah Watchmen Ultimate Edition in Dec. I'm waiting for that.
Jul 22nd 2009
      wtf, is that 18 hours long?
Jul 22nd 2009
I just bought the regular ed.
Jul 22nd 2009
picked up my copy today
Jul 22nd 2009
the director's cut is a VAST improvement....
Jul 24th 2009
RE: Wait No Watchmen Director's Cut Post? Ok Here it is:
Jul 25th 2009
They should have used the Jeff Buckley version of "Hallelujah"
Jul 25th 2009
They should have used ANYTHING but the version they used
Jul 25th 2009
Wordman's director's cut DVD review
Jul 26th 2009
I picked up the DVD but...
Jul 28th 2009

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #463219 Previous topic | Next topic