Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #461726

Subject: "Hip-Hop Movie Sample Game" Previous topic | Next topic
Big Chief Rumbletummy
Member since Jan 31st 2006
2005 posts
Fri Jul-10-09 10:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hip-Hop Movie Sample Game"

This is interesting…I was just listening to a CD called “Hey That’s Funny!”. It’s a comedy compilation CD consisting of stand-up comedy routines and skits from various comedians dating from the 60’s through to the 90’s. There’s some hilarious stuff on there, a lot of stuff I’ve heard before and a lot that I hadn’t, but that’s not the impetus of this post. What’s so interesting is that on 3 straight tracks, tracks I had never heard before, there was a very recognizable (to me anyway) old school-era-to-golden age-era hip-hop sample. 3 straight tracks I got THAT feeling on.

It has been quite a while since I got that good old familiar feeling of “sample recognition”. You know that feeling? Old hip-hop heads know it, they have to. Its law somewhere in some jurisdiction. Or maybe its science. Or science law maybe. I don’t know…I’m getting ahead of myself here. Sample Recognition is that thing your brain does where as the bit that’s been sampled is playing, you stop whatever you’re doing and your head swerves upward to the right, sort of like a dog that’s caught the scent of a decidedly rancid garbage can 4 blocks away. A smile inadvertently spreads across the breadth of your face, earlobe to earlobe, and without any deliberate precognitive notion, you finish the sample by either saying it aloud or mouthing it. After the sample is completed, individual responses vary**.

So I sez to myself…”Self”, I sez…”it’s been awhile since you’ve given these philistines a game to play”. And it has. It’s been a while since I’ve handed out any Rumbletummy Phun Bux (redeemable for 2 “LOL” or 1 “LMBCRAOROFL” replies to any post***) and they are piling up around the teepee. Let’s see who’s got the chops. The rules are simple: I’ll provide a list of source material from any number of media: movies, television, albums, etc. Just not any other song samples. If you want to play, you reply with the name of either the song, the group, the actual sample, or any combination of the three. Some are quite specific while others, like Richard Pryor, Wu-Tang, & Scarface, will have oodles of mentions…but so what!??!

The poster with the most correct replies wins!****

Here goes:

Mister Roberts - National Lampoon
Gun Control – Saturday Night Live
The Devil Made Me Buy This Dress
Rebel Without A Cause (radio announcer)
Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang
Hoodlum
Wattstax – Jesse Jackson
Wattstax – Rufus Thomas
This Is Your FBI
Usual Suspects
Two on the Road a.k.a. Fearless Dragons
Delirious – Eddie Murphy
5 Deadly Venoms
Ten Tigers From Kwantung
Bangin’ In Little Rock
The Killer
J.D.’s Revenge
Wild Style
Sesame Street – Big Bird
Hindenburg Disaster – Herbert Morrison
Saturday Night Live – Don Pardo
Shogun Assassin
Scarface
Goodfellas
Inaugural Address – John Fitzgerald Kennedy
The Education of Sonny Carson
Breakthrough: An Amazing Experiment In Electronic Communication with the Dead – Unknown Woman

** = Some folks have been known to pump their fists and smile wildly, some folks have been content to smugly smirk and just nod their heads in the affirmative. Still others have been compelled to spend work time organizing posts on the internet to see who else gets giddy at this kind of shit.
*** = I reserve the right not to reply like that and might even call you nasty names.
**** = Unless they are a terrorist because then the terrorists really will have won.

©

Simply soothe, will move vinyl like glue
Transistors are never more shown with like
When vocal flow brings it all down in ruin
Due to a clue of a naughty noise called
Plug Tunin'

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Hip-Hop Movie Sample Game [View all] , Big Chief Rumbletummy, Fri Jul-10-09 10:34 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
If you have any, feel free to add them
Jul 10th 2009
Memento
Jul 11th 2009
*takes a stab*
Jul 10th 2009
Lemme try
Jul 10th 2009
I got a couple...
Jul 10th 2009
Well done so far you guys, very well done