Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #448938

Subject: "I think W & L > Old Joy" Previous topic | Next topic
Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Fri May-01-09 01:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I think W & L > Old Joy"
In response to In response to 5

I can see Old Joy being an insufferable watch for people.

I also can see someone that hated OJ liking W & L. Or, I can see someone that likes The Bicycle Thieves or movies of that ilk being taken with W & L.

It's a remarkable film showing socioeconomic forces at work on people. I also love what the film has to say, and I can't say it better than Reichardt. A couple of quotes:

"It was very post-Katrina -- what it was for everyone just to be watching, but also the conversation of, you know, "Those people, living in such peril," they wouldn't be in the shape they're in, the position they're in. We just started pondering: If you don't have a net and you've had a shitty education and you don't have the benefit of family that's in any better situation than you're in, how does one improve their lot? Not even reaching the middle class, but how do you just get a toehold in the next level? That was the seed, and then Jon went off and wrote the story. The screenplay was just an adaptation of his story."

"But when you’re strapped financially, it’s hard to escape some things. The myth that we’ve bought into in this country, especially in the last eight years, is that if it’s not working out for you, then it’s because you’re lazy or don’t really want it. So we started with this character who actually has the wherewithal to look around her and say, “There’s no opportunity here.” And she has the spirit to go out and seek something. Is that really all you need?"

"The idea was just that she would be a stranger, and the film has sort of proven the question to some degree. Do we have any responsibility to each other? What's our obligation to each other? And the way she just runs into people in the film, and comes across them, they don't know her whole story, and that was how I wanted the audience to be with her."

At the very least, I recommend the film solely for Michelle Williams' performance. Incredible. Off the top, probably the best American actress her age +/- 5 years.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Top Films of 2009: Pre-Summer Movie Season Edition [View all] , Sponge, Thu Apr-30-09 04:29 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
My Top Ten:
Apr 30th 2009
I've only got 1 that will be on my year end list so far = Sugar
Apr 30th 2009
RE: Top Films of 2009: Pre-Summer Movie Season Edition
May 01st 2009
You felt Wendy and Lucy that much, eh?
May 01st 2009
RE: You felt Wendy and Lucy that much, eh?
May 01st 2009
I purposely avoided W&L b/c of Old Joy
May 01st 2009

who's the jawn in your avi?
May 01st 2009
The Portuguese-Chinese beauty Jessica Gomes a/k/a
May 01st 2009
      There's no getting away from it
May 02nd 2009
May 01st 2009