Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #315562

Subject: "...and it starts: Disney considers "Ratatouille" a "flop" internally" Previous topic | Next topic
Nukkapedia
Member since Apr 16th 2006
35461 posts
Fri Sep-14-07 09:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"...and it starts: Disney considers "Ratatouille" a "flop" internally"

Disney blames Pixar for "making a movie about a rat in a kitchen and expecting it to out-gross a bevy of sequel movies".

Pixar blames Disney for putting together "a crappy marketing campaign."

I say "it still made $200 mil. Get over it."

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2007/09/04/toon-tuesday-why-ratatouille-s-good-but-not-great-box-office-numbers-are-now-causing-problems-for-disney-s-marketing-staff.aspx

Jim Hill
Toon Tuesday: Why "Ratatouille" 's good-but-not-great box office numbers are now causing problems for Disney's marketing department
Jim Hill talks about all of the finger-pointing that's going on in Burbank & Emeryville, as execs try to find someone to blame for this Pixar picture's perceived under-performance

By now, you've probably heard that -- over this past weekend -- "Ratatouille" finally officially achieved really-for-real blockbuster status. Earning over $200 million during its initial domestic run.

Mind you, it did take this new Brad Bird film quite a while to reach that milestone. As you can see by the chart below ...

"Finding Nemo": 20 days
"The Incredibles": 22 days
"Cars": 30 days
"Monsters, Inc.": 30 days
"Toy Story 2": 44 days
"Ratatouille": 65 days

... Of the six Pixar films that earned at least $200 million over their initial domestic runs, "Ratatouille" took the longest. In fact, I've been told by several Disney insiders that the studio was so concerned that this animated feature might not achieve blockbuster status before the Labor Day Weekend was over that the Mouse actually increased the number of theaters that "Ratatouille" was being shown in. Bumping up the number of screens that this Pixar picture was being screened on this past Friday from 956 to 1068.

"Ah, but what does that matter how long it took, Jim?," you say. " 'Ratatouille' has finally officially achieved blockbuster status. Isn't that something worth celebrating?"

Well, the Walt Disney Company would certainly like you to think so. Which is why -- over the next few days -- you're going to see the usual self-congratulatory full-page ads in the trades. Not to mention those press releases that talk about how happy the studio supposedly is with the way that "Ratatouille" has performed to date.

Of course, were you to ask the people who work in Mickey's marketing department about what Mouse House senior management really thinks about this particular Pixar production's box office performance, you'd hear a very different story. One that involves a lot of finger-pointing as well as people attempting to shift blame to other departments at the studio.

"But why would people want to assign blame when it comes to 'Ratatouille' 's domestic box office performance?," you ask. Well, you have to understand that -- up until this last Brad Bird film -- Pixar productions have always finished in the Top 5 during their initial domestic runs.

Don't believe me? Okay. Let's go to the charts. "Toy Story" was the No. 1 film domestically back in 1995 ...

Top Five Films of 1995
"Toy Story": $191.7 million
"Batman Forever": $184.0 million
"Apollo 13": $172.0 million
"Pocahontas": $141.5 million
"Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls": $108.3 million

"A Bug's Life" came in fourth in 1998's domestic box office derby ...

Top Five Films of 1998
"Saving Private Ryan": $216.5 million
"Armageddon": $201.5 million
"There's Something About Mary": $176.4 million
"A Bug's Life": $162.7 million
"The Water Boy": $161.4 million

"Toy Story 2" came in third back in 1999 ...

Top Five Films of 1999
"Star Wars: Episode 1 -- The Phantom Menace": $431.0 million
"The Sixth Sense": $293.5 million
"Toy Story 2": $245.8 million
"Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me": $206.0 million
"The Matrix": $171.4 million

"Monsters, Inc." finished fourth back in 2001 ...

Top Five Films of 2001
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone": $317.5 million
"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring": $313.3 million
"Shrek": $267.6 million
"Monsters, Inc.": $255.8 million
"Rush Hour 2": $226.1 million

"Finding Nemo" was No. 2 back in 2003 ...

Top Five Films of 2003
"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King": $377.0 million
"Finding Nemo": $339.7 million
"Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl": $305.4 million
The Matrix Reloaded": $281.5 million
"Bruce Almighty": $242.8 million

"The Incredibles" came in fifth back in 2004 ...

Top Five Films of 2004
"Shrek 2": $441.2 million
"Spider-Man 2": $373.5 million
"The Passion of the Christ": $370.2 million
"Meet the Fockers": $279.2 million
"The Incredibles": $261.4 million

While "Cars" grabbed the 3 spot in last year's domestic box office derby.

Top Five Films of 2006
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest": $423.3 million
"Night at the Museum": $250.8 million
"Cars": $244.0 million
"X-Men: The Last Stand": $234.3 million
"The Da Vinci Code": $217.5 million

Whereas "Ratatouille" ... Well, as of yesterday, this Pixar production found itself dropping down to No. 8 ...

Top Ten Films of 2007
(As of 9/03/07)
"Spider-Man 3": $336.5 million
"Shrek the Third": $321.0 million
"Transformers": $310.5 million
"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End": $308.2 million
"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix": $286.6 million
"300": $210.6 million
"The Bourne Ultimatum": $202.6 million
"Ratatouille": $201.0 million
"The Simpsons Movie": $178.4 million
"Wild Hogs": $168.2 million

... having just been knocked out of the No. 7 berth by "The Bourne Ultimatum."

And given the domestic market is now pretty much tapped out for this particular Pixar production (Just last week, "Ratatouille" was struggling to pull in $120,000 - $130,000 for its stateside weekday performances. And given that most of the kids in the U.S. are headed back to school today, you can now expect this movie's numbers to fall straight through the floor) and given that there are still 17 movie-going weeks left in 2007 ... It is quite possible that -- between now and New Year's Eve -- three more movies that can gross over $200 million domestically will come along. With one of those films most likely being Walt Disney Pictures' "Enchanted."

The way I hear it, the folks up in Emeryville are not happy about this prospect. Not just because "Ratatouille" has already been knocked out of the Top 5. But because -- for the first time ever -- there is the very distinct possibility that this animation studio's latest release will not be in the domestic Top 10 as 2007 draws to a close.

This is why there's now a new party line when it comes to discussing "Ratatouille" 's box office performance. Nowadays, Pixar die-hards don't really like to talk about how this Brad Bird film did during its domestic run. They'd much rather prefer to discuss how well this animation studio's latest release is doing overseas.

Of course, the only problem with doing that is that it then opens the window to comparing "Ratatouille" 's grosses to those for "The Simpsons Movie." And while it no longer seems likely that this 20th Century Fox release will be able to eclipse that Pixar picture's domestic earnings, "The Simpsons Movie" is still kicking "Ratatouille" 's butt overseas (i.e. Having earned $291.0 million versus $172.3 million to date).

Then when you factor in that "The Simpsons Movie" allegedly only cost $75 million to produce ... Well, that means that this Fox film will be in the black a whole lot sooner than "Ratatouille" will. Which -- given that this Brad Bird film (due to all of its production problems) reportedly cost $150 million to complete -- is something of a sore point with the suits back in Burbank.

And speaking of people being sore ... Let's get back to all that finger-pointing that's been going on in Burbank. All because the folks up in Emeryville are reportedly blaming the Mouse House's marketing team for "Ratatouille" 's under-performance at the box office.

As the story goes, the people at Pixar are now supposedly saying that this Brad Bird film didn't do as well as it could have domestically because Disney dropped the ball. They insist that Mickey's marketing staff didn't put together a really effective promotional campaign for this particular Pixar production.

As you might imagine, claims like this make the folks who actually work in Disney's marketing department completely crazy. As one studio insider that I recently spoke with put it:

We put together the best possible campaign that we could for 'Ratatouille.' Sure, this movie got great reviews. But this was a very difficult picture to sell during an incredibly competitive summer. To be honest, we're lucky that this movie did as well as it did.

Pixar is now claiming that we didn't put together a good enough trailer for 'Ratatouille.' They say that this is the main reason that their newest movie didn't do as well domestically as 'Cars' did. Which is why they're now being complete b*stards about the 'WALL-E' trailer. Insisting that only they know the proper way to promote their next picture.

Our counter-argument is that if we didn't put together the campaign that we did for 'Ratatouille,' putting that 9-minute excerpt out there on the Web, holding those sneak previews two weeks out, that there's no other way that we could have built better word-of-mouth for this movie. If we hadn't done that level of promotion, spent that money the way we did, they'd have been lucky if this film had done 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the business that it eventually did stateside.

But because Pixar never, ever makes mistakes, we're now the ones who have to take the blame. But that's okay. Let them call the shots on "WALL-E" 's marketing campaign. Next year, they'll be the one who'll be taking the fall when that Andrew Stanton film doesn't measure up to expectations.

Because if you thought that it was tough to sell a movie where a rat runs loose in a kitchen, wait 'til you try & come up with an effective marketing campaign for a movie that stars robots who don't talk. Which is set on a version of Planet Earth that's just this abandoned trash heap that's floating in space. Try selling that as a fun summer film for the whole family to see.

I know, I know. This is probably far too downbeat a story for all you dyed-in-the-wool Disney & Pixar fans out there. Who just want to celebrate the fact that "Ratatouille" finally achieved really-for-real blockbuster status during its initial domestic run.

Well, based on what the folks in Disney's marketing department have been telling me ... This time around, it's only the fans who are celebrating. Meanwhile down in Burbank and up in Emeryville, people are still trying to figure out what went wrong with "Ratatouille." They want to find why a film that received such glow-in-the-dark reviews failed to connect with a far larger audience. So that these possibly-promotion-related problems can then cleared up by the time "WALL-E" rolls into theaters during the Summer of 2008.

What do you folks think? Is there something that the Mouse's marketing department could have done differently with "Ratatouille" ? How can Disney improve the promotion that it does for Pixar's animated features?

Your thoughts?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

...and it starts: Disney considers "Ratatouille" a "flop" internally [View all] , Nukkapedia, Fri Sep-14-07 09:07 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
i dunno
Sep 14th 2007
and pixar will never make a flop...
Sep 14th 2007
a rat that wants to cook isn't an adventure?
Sep 14th 2007
      c'mon now
Sep 14th 2007
           ...so you're just replying just to be replying.
Sep 14th 2007
           ^^^This reply >>> than THAT reply
Sep 14th 2007
           ya'll REALLY gettin all huffy about this??
Sep 14th 2007
                Huffy...? You gave me the first laugh of the day...
Sep 14th 2007
           monsters>rats.....and i haven't seen either
Sep 14th 2007
As someone who hates it when OKPs complain about marketing
Sep 14th 2007
The stat about where it ranked during the year is pretty unfair, conside...
Sep 14th 2007
I am Disney fan and I must say
Sep 14th 2007
Jim Hill is an idiot...and this article is complete bullshit
Sep 14th 2007
^^^^^^^^
Sep 14th 2007
it's certainly not a dud, but
Sep 14th 2007
^thanks...
Sep 14th 2007
but cars, incredibles, toy story 2, monsters inc. and bugs life also
Sep 14th 2007
Fuck this corporate pissing contest. I mean, really.
Sep 14th 2007
I agree, but
Sep 14th 2007
hahaha
Sep 14th 2007
*dies*
Sep 15th 2007
I don't know many parents who aren't automatic Pixar DVD coppers
May 22nd 2008
Ratatouille is an amazing film, Bird is an amazing director
Sep 14th 2007
maybe it just wasn't funny
Sep 14th 2007
hold on there nitro
Sep 14th 2007
ohh yeah cars was horrible too
Sep 14th 2007
You didn't finish the movie?
Sep 15th 2007
*winces at the very mention of "Cars"*
Sep 14th 2007
I dunno about anyone else, but Ratatouille is number 3 on
Sep 14th 2007
it wasn't excessively funny, no...but why does it have to be?
Sep 14th 2007
maybe cuz its a disney and pixar movie
Sep 14th 2007
Happy Feet wasn't even the best animated movie of 2006
Sep 15th 2007
      lawd y'all know me too well LMAO
Sep 15th 2007
It was funny, just subtly funny, and within-a-storyline funny.
Sep 14th 2007
i was excited to see the movie
Nov 03rd 2007
Not a flop.
Sep 14th 2007
whoever decided to give it a title kids can't pronounce is an idiot...
Sep 16th 2007
"rat-ta-tou-ee". It's spelled out phonetically on the official logo
Sep 16th 2007
The name was a running joke through the film
Sep 16th 2007
      "Food names are supposed to sound delicious."
Sep 17th 2007
Yeah because kid HATE hard to pronounce words...
Sep 16th 2007
I can see the executives POV...
Sep 16th 2007
it's a shame that "celerity voice talent" has actually become a
Sep 17th 2007
ratatouille was magical
Sep 16th 2007
it did have some hefty competition though, gotta admit
Sep 16th 2007
I was just thinking that.
Sep 17th 2007
Janeane Garofalo and Patton Oswalt? Ratatouille had no big names.
Sep 23rd 2007
(yes I'm upping this old ass post) It's a sad day if animated flicks
Nov 02nd 2007
      That's the biggest difference to me between Pixar and DW
Nov 03rd 2007
           I'd say the plot, story, and dialogue are also glaringly different
Nov 04th 2007
I know this isnt an apreciation post, but I loved it
Nov 03rd 2007
Just finished watching this not 30mins ago
Nov 03rd 2007
For the record...
Nov 04th 2007
as a Pixar fan...I was honestly IMPRESSED w/ Ratatoiulle
May 22nd 2008
ummm it grossed over 200 mil AND won an oscar for best animated film
May 29th 2008
lmao @ someone replying to a 2 year old post
May 29th 2008
      Wrong. Nukkapedia is at least four years old.
May 29th 2008
why the hell did I just read this like it was new?
May 29th 2008

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #315562 Previous topic | Next topic