Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #297660

Subject: "The Official Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix post" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Melanism
Charter member
20449 posts
Mon Jul-09-07 08:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Official Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix post"

Two days and counting.

Unfortunately, I have to wait until Saturday to see this with friends at IMAX.

Here's the Variety review:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

A Warner Bros. release of a Heyday Films production. Produced by David Heyman, David Barron. Executive producer, Lionel Wigram. Co-producer, John Trehy. Directed by David Yates. Screenplay, Michael Goldenberg, based on the novel by J.K. Rowling.

Harry Potter - Daniel Radcliffe
Ron Weasley - Rupert Grint
Hermione Granger - Emma Watson
Bellatrix Lestrange - Helena Bonham Carter
Rubeus Hagrid - Robbie Coltrane
Lord Voldemort - Ralph Fiennes
Albus Dumbledore - Michael Gambon
Alastor 'Mad-Eye' Moody - Brendan Gleeson
Vernon Dursley - Richard Griffiths
Lucius Malfoy - Jason Isaacs
Sirius Black - Gary Oldman
Severus Snape - Alan Rickman
Petunia Dursley - Fiona Shaw
Minerva McGonagall - Maggie Smith
Dolores Umbridge - Imelda Staunton
Remus Lupin - David Thewlis
Sybil Trelawney - Emma Thompson
Argus Filch - David Bradley
Filius Flitwick - Warwick Davis
Draco Malfoy - Tom Felton
Cornelius Fudge - Robert Hardy
Mrs. Weasley - Julie Walters
Arthur Weasley - Mark Williams
Cho Chang - Katie Leung
Neville Longbottom - Matthew Lewis
Luna Lovegood - Evanna Lynch
Ginny Weasley - Bonnie Wright

By TODD MCCARTHY
The students at Hogwarts leave youthful hijinks behind once and for all in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." Considerably grimmer and grittier than the previous pictures in the phenomenally successful series, new entry finds the young charges' head-on collision with adolescence taking a backseat to their sober confrontation with unvarnished evil. Pottermania will reach a peak in July with the nearly simultaneous release of the fifth film and the seventh and final book, and only commercial concern for Warner Bros. may be that, after the second or third week, curiosity about the concluding tome could overshadow interest in the film.

Extravagantly produced in the expected manner, pic nevertheless marks a notable departure in tone from those that preceded it. From the opening scene, portents of bad tidings ahead hang over everyone and everything connected to the wizarding world, even as the magical establishment insists there is no threat at large in the land.

Altered feel this time around stems in large measure from the new blood recruited to push the franchise into ever-darker domains. Director David Yates, heretofore known mostly for his television work (and already engaged to helm the sixth film); screenwriter Michael Goldenberg, replacing series perennial Steve Kloves; and composer Nicholas Hooper, whose vigorously dramatic music uses only a smidgen of John Williams' themes, make the most decisive difference in steering the focus away from flights of fancy and in-house intrigue in favor of elaborate and sometimes heavy-handed foreshadowing of the inevitable showdown between Harry and Lord Voldemort.

Concentrated focus results in an unsettling mood and dramatic scenes of unusual intensity. But condensing the book, which at 870 pages is the longest J.K. Rowling has written, into the shortest film in the series has come at a price. Many viewers won't at all mind that this is the first "Potter" picture without a Quidditch match, nor that house elves and cutesy ghosts are largely absent as well.

But more serious is the diminishment of the myriad intrigues among individuals and factions that comprise so much of the stories' delightfully complicated fabric. Interplay detailing the fluctuating relationships involving Harry, Hermione, Ron (particularly slighted here), Cho Chang and intriguing newcomer Luna Lovegood (Evanna Lynch) is sacrificed in favor of repeated group scenes of Harry teaching his clandestine band of teenage warriors the finer points of wand work. Classroom scenes are scanted and a sense of the school year passing is minute, giving the film a flattened-out feel compared to the wondrous eventfulness of Mike Newell's "Goblet of Fire," the last and most successful series installment.

Current yarn commences at the end of a parched English summer, when Harry (Daniel Radcliffe, back with a clean-cut look) lands in hot water with the Ministry of Magic for issuing a forbidden curse to fend off an attack by two Dementors. Harry's Inquisition-like hearing, where he narrowly escapes expulsion from Hogwarts thanks to the unexpected intervention of Dumbledore (Michael Gambon), sets out the central conflict: The Ministry refuses to accept Harry's contention that Lord Voldemort is back and, in fact, is prepared to put all its propaganda muscle into discrediting Harry and Dumbledore.

To this end, the Ministry imposes one of its own as this year's professor of the Dark Arts. Dolores Umbridge is one of Rowling's most delicious -- and resonantly named -- creations; a stout, toad-like woman reliably clad in shades of pink, Umbridge is a party functionary par excellence, a rules-and-regulations fanatic with a whim of iron who cloaks her proscriptive edicts in dulcet tones and manufactured smiles. Imelda Staunton was the perfect choice for the part and unsurprisingly emerges as one of the film's greatest pleasures.

Umbridge wastes no time clamping down on Harry, the other kids and the Hogwarts staff; assuming more power virtually by the day, she puts her most outspoken student in painful detention, prohibits the learning of practical curses, begins firing wayward teachers and ultimately confronts Dumbledore to assert complete Ministry control over the school.

In response, Harry assembles an underground rebel band known as Dumbledore's Army. The intense way these passages are staged lead one to believe they are the scenes that most engaged the interest of director Yates, who seems to relish the image of Harry and Hermione as nascent revolutionary leaders.

Similarly prominent are Harry's renewed relationship with his beloved godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman), hiding away in the secret family homestead in London, and his nightmarish visions of Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes), with whom he increasingly feels a disturbingly strong connection. It gets so bad that he is forced to receive private tutoring from the dreaded Professor Snape, whose distaste for the task could not be more pronounced. Until shortly before the end, Snape has very little to do, but Alan Rickman may have outdone himself; seldom has an actor done more with less than he does here.

Climactic showdown between Harry's crew and Voldemort's henchmen, led by Lucius Malfoy (Jason Isaacs), is strikingly played out in a huge Ministry storeroom filled with shelved grapefruit-sized globes containing prophecies. One such sphere concerning Harry is of vital interest to Voldemort, and performing especially well on his behalf is Sirius' malignant cousin Bellatrix Lestrange, embodied by Helena Bonham Carter with a particularly maniacal glee.

It doesn't take much of a leap to connect the ill winds afflicting Hogwarts, along with the sweaty anticipation of inevitable conflict, with the present situation in the world at large. The metaphors are all implicit and have a lot to do with just growing up and facing unpleasant realities, but they increasingly contribute to the feeling of nervousness and unease creeping into the series. It will be interesting to see if general anticipation for the two remaining films holds fast or tails off once the epic series' conclusion is revealed in the final book.

Camera (Technicolor, JDC widescreen), Slawomir Idziak; editor, Mark Day; music, Nicholas Hooper; production designer, Stuart Craig; supervising art director, Neil Lamont; senior art director, Andrew Ackland-Snow; art directors, Mark Bartholomew, Alastair Bullock, Martin Schadler, Gary Tomkins, Alex Walker; set decorator, Stephenie McMillan; costume designer, Jany Temime; sound (Dolby Digital/DTS/SDDS), Stuart Wilson; supervising sound editor, James Mather; sound designer, Andy Kennedy; co-sound designer, James Boyle; re-recording mixers, Mike Prestwood Smith, Mark Taylor, Doug Cooper; visual effects supervisor, Tim Burke; special effects supervisor, John Richardson; special visual effects and animation, Industrial Light & Magic; visual effects, the Moving Picture Co., Framestore-CFC, Rising Sun Picture, Cinesite (Europe), Baseblack, Machine Effects; creature & makeup effects designer, Nick Dudman; stunt coordinator, Greg Powell; associate producer, Tim Lewis; assistant director, Cliff Lanning; second unit director, Stephen Woolfenden; second unit camera, Mike Brewster; casting, Fiona Weir. Reviewed at Warner Bros. studios, Burbank, June 28, 2007. MPAA Rating: PG-13. Running time: 139 MIN.

Read the full article at:
http://www.variety.com/story.asp?l=story&r=VE1117934037&c=31

Printer-friendly copy

The Official Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix post [View all] , Melanism, Mon Jul-09-07 08:20 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
New writer and a new director
Jul 09th 2007
Wednesday IMAX check-in.
Jul 09th 2007
same
Jul 09th 2007
FUCK! All the IMAX showings except for 10 and 12 AM are SOLD OUT in NYC
Jul 10th 2007
did you try Garden City?
Jul 10th 2007
*pops collar*
Jul 11th 2007
does anyone else think the films really pale in comparison
Jul 09th 2007
Yeah, pretty much
Jul 09th 2007
      I agree
Jul 10th 2007
I have to go see it by myself...
Jul 09th 2007
The reviews
Jul 10th 2007
I'm excited about seeing this film...
Jul 10th 2007
I saw it monday night.
Jul 10th 2007
I'm pissed that I couldn't make the midnight show. :(
Jul 10th 2007
I just got back from a theater in Burbank
Jul 11th 2007
Saw it last night... (Spoiler.....kinda)
Jul 11th 2007
cats got problems with this
Jul 11th 2007
the best HP movie to date
Jul 11th 2007
RE: The Official Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix post
Jul 11th 2007
I liked the new Harold the Potna movie (n/m)
Jul 11th 2007
what trailer was it + 10,000 BC (that fantasy trailer) oh yeah Stardust
Jul 11th 2007
i liked the novel but i dunno about this movie thing
Jul 11th 2007
SERIOUSLY cant wait!
Jul 11th 2007
It was okay, but something felt off (SPOILERS)
Jul 11th 2007
imelda staunton was okay, imo.
Jul 11th 2007
RE: It was okay, but something felt off (SPOILERS)
Jul 12th 2007
on Draco:
Jul 12th 2007
      you're right
Jul 12th 2007
RE: It was okay, but something felt off (SPOILERS)
Jul 17th 2007
      Imelda Staunton played Dolores Umbridge.
Jul 17th 2007
           oh right right
Jul 18th 2007
well,
Jul 11th 2007
RE: well,
Jul 12th 2007
just got back from seeing it. best one yet, i think
Jul 11th 2007
RE: just got back from seeing it. best one yet, i think
Jul 12th 2007
      this one and Prisoner of Azkaban are my favorites
Jul 12th 2007
some things i noticed:
Jul 12th 2007
My girlfriend said the same thing about Maggie
Jul 12th 2007
Seamus is Scottish, not Irish.
Jul 12th 2007
      thanks. I always get those two mixed up
Jul 12th 2007
      don't worry
Jul 12th 2007
      no, he's Irish
Jul 17th 2007
i enjoyed it
Jul 12th 2007
I read somewhere
Jul 12th 2007
mixed feelings
Jul 12th 2007
what did you think of book 6?
Jul 12th 2007
      RE: what did you think of book 6?
Jul 12th 2007
This was my least favorite of the books, but the movie was alright
Jul 12th 2007
wrong reply.
Jul 12th 2007
Question For Those Who Saw It (spoilers I guess)
Jul 12th 2007
oooooh that's juicy!!! (spoilers)
Jul 12th 2007
Luna is probably going to be the main love interest
Jul 12th 2007
luna had too big of a part in the movie
Jul 12th 2007
Kreacher?
Jul 12th 2007
According to wikipedia...
Jul 12th 2007
it's gotta be Kreacher. I'll tell you why.
Jul 12th 2007
You mean the locket?
Jul 12th 2007
yeah, the locket that wasn't at the bottom of the bowl.
Jul 17th 2007
very very nice.
Jul 12th 2007
Could be Bellatrix (swipe)
Jul 13th 2007
      Bellatrix was always in the OOTP movie because....
Jul 13th 2007
           I forgot to give you some context regarding her above comments
Jul 13th 2007
                i see what you mean
Jul 13th 2007
Jul 13th 2007
i don't agree
Jul 13th 2007
      hated gof witha passion
Jul 14th 2007
Good but not the best
Jul 13th 2007
i wasn't to thrillied about this one...
Jul 14th 2007
just how i felt
Jul 14th 2007
I liked it until the end (Spoilers)
Jul 14th 2007
I actually liked how they handled it (spoilers)
Jul 16th 2007
didn't like it.
Jul 15th 2007
Not a good stand-alone, but good for the series
Jul 15th 2007
I think this is the best movie so far. ESPECIALLY in light of the fact t...
Jul 15th 2007
I was dragged into seeing this
Jul 15th 2007
RE: I was dragged into seeing this SPOILER!!!!!!!
Jul 17th 2007
LOL at Serious Black!!!!!
Jul 17th 2007
3rd movie > 5th movie > 4th movie > 1st 2 movies
Jul 17th 2007
      Agree and agree
Jul 19th 2007
Jul 17th 2007
did you guys notice dumbledore as the bartender???
Jul 17th 2007
huh? you mean at the first d.a. meeting?
Jul 18th 2007
whoa. i didn't notice that at all
Jul 19th 2007
they are listed as diff actors in the credits
Jul 20th 2007
      it's Dumbledore's brother, Aberforth, not Albus...
Jul 20th 2007
up
Jul 24th 2007
this is about the movie.
Jul 24th 2007

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #297660 Previous topic | Next topic