Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #292449

Subject: "Tyler Perry Q & A (swipe)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Jun-20-07 01:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "Tyler Perry Q & A (swipe)"
In response to In response to 0

More black PTP hit doggery. Also, the article's from a white magazine, so I know it's reputable. From ew.com:

>The Q&A

Rocking the 'House'

Tyler Perry on making hits outside Hollywood: The busy media mogul talks about his most recent success -- TV's record-breaking ''House of Payne'' -- and his many, many other projects

By Tim Stack

He lit up the box office with hits like Diary of a Mad Black Woman; now Tyler Perry is bringin' the Payne to television. On June 6, the writer/director/actor saw the first two episodes of the sitcom he created, Tyler Perry's House of Payne, debut with an average of 5.5 million viewers — a record audience for a basic-cable original sitcom premiere. ''All I could do is say, 'Thank you, Jesus!''' said the 37-year-old about the runaway success of his show, which centers on a working-class African-American family and has already gotten a huge 100-episode order from TBS. The man with the Midas touch chatted with EW.com about his upcoming film projects (including November's Why Did I Get Married?, starring Janet Jackson), his television goals, and why he'll never enter the music business.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Why do you think audiences responded so well to House of Payne?

TYLER PERRY: It's something different that hasn't been done before. The show is going to go in a whole lotta directions. I break all the rules. I think that's part of the appeal, but we'll see what happens.
I watched the latest episodes, which had a subplot about crack addiction — pretty tough stuff for a show that's billed as a comedy. Is it a priority for you that the subject matter stays edgy like that?
Yes. It's so difficult for African-American people to have a drama on television. It's (rarely) happened before, so where else do you put it? Until I can get into a position where I can have a complete drama, then I'll keep mixing (the genres) all together.

EW: You're shooting the show at production facilities in your hometown of Atlanta, you're on cable instead of a network... Why, with all the huge success that you've had, are you staying relatively grassroots?

TP: Well, (otherwise) the artists have no say. I don't want to give something to a public that's buying my brand that is not me. If I have no say in it, then they're not buying my brand — they're buying something that's been watered down or changed or tainted. It's not that I'm a control freak. I can absolutely work with people as long as the idea I have is coming across.

EW: Why did ultimately you go with TBS? Had you been approached by other networks?

TP: After the tests ran last year, there were a few offers. I wanted somebody who would be as invested as I am and wouldn't just want five episodes, or six episodes, or even 20. I knew if they made (a big) commitment, they would blow it out of the water, and that's just what TBS did (by ordering 100 episodes).

EW: About those 100 episodes — how are they broken up per season?

TP: We're shooting three episodes a week, and we'll be done by the end of the year.

EW: Wow. How big is your writing staff?

TP: It's about 15 of us in the room, and we map out and write them. But we started writing six months before we started shooting... I'm directing every episode, (and) working with the writers on every episode.

EW: After the 100 are completed, is that the end of House of Payne, or do you think it will keep going?

TP: There hasn't been any talk about it as of yet... But 100 episodes is (the amount needed for) syndication. That's five days a week! Most shows go four years to get there.

EW: Has TBS talked to you about doing another comedy?

TP: Everything's very fresh. You're talking (just a few) days ago that all of this has happened. But I do have another sitcom (I'm developing) called Meet the Browns...

EW: Based on your play?

Tp: Yes, based on the character from the play. The Brown character is just as popular as Madea (the sassy matriarch Perry has played on stage and screen). The film version (of Meet the Browns, starring Angela Bassett) comes out in February — we're shooting it next month. I think the ratings (for a sitcom adaptation) would be unbelievable, because the characters are already built-in and have a huge following. We shot 10 episodes last December that are ready to go right behind House of Payne. I would be really happy for TBS to have it, because the promotion they put behind House of Payne just really blew my mind.

EW: Would you ever consider doing a television drama?

TP: I can tell you my short-term plan here in the next year or two: I'd love to have an entire night where I have three or four sitcoms on, and a drama, and a Tyler Perry talk show on just one day a week. That would be the thing I would love to have going. I think that whole four-hour block is very possible. That's the short-term goal. The long-term goal is to own a network.

EW: Tell us a little about the talk show you're about to launch on TylerPerry.com.

TP: I shot 12 episodes that will be running over the next month or two, on broadband streaming from my website. There's a live studio audience... Again, it breaks all the rules. It's a cross between Oprah and Leno, I think: One day I could be talking about serious subjects, and then the next day we could be having fun and listening to some great singers. It's all over the place.

EW: And what's going on with your next movie, Why Did I Get Married?

TP: It's done — it's in the can. We're really excited about it. Janet Jackson looks phenomenal in it, and Jill Scott too. They're unbelievable.

EW: Like Daddy's Little Girls, this movie has no Madea. Do you ever worry about your projects that don't have her in them, since she's so popular?

TP: No... To keep the value of the character, she shouldn't be too exposed. You know, Daddy's Little Girls left the box office doing $30 million, and it was an $8 million movie. So it was a huge success.

EW: You've done theater, TV, film... so the music biz must be next on your checklist, right? Got any plans to start a label?

TP: I've written quite a few songs that have been on the radio and everything. But I don't want to have a label. I don't want to be in that business AT ALL. At all. The record business is such a nightmare to me. I've done three soundtracks for my films, and the whole industry is just in such turmoil that I couldn't function over there. No, no, no.

EW: So what's the next project you'd say ''yes, yes, yes'' to?

TP: A vacation! I think I'm going to take the month of September off and travel the world for a bit.

Printer-friendly copy

Open Letter from Tyler Perry to his critics (swipe): [View all] , tREBLEFREE, Tue Jun-19-07 06:49 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
god, i hate him.
Jun 19th 2007
nevermind
Jun 19th 2007
Diary of A Mad Black Woman still sucked though
Jun 19th 2007
his heart is in the right place, but what's his point?
Jun 19th 2007
Hey, some of my best friends are fat!!!
Jun 19th 2007
what should he have said?
Jun 19th 2007
      I don't know, but he sounds like he's apologizing,
Jun 19th 2007
In his defense, that is a pretty stupid criticism
Jun 19th 2007
Agreed
Jun 19th 2007
delete
Jun 19th 2007
RE: nobody said anything about king of queens...roseanne, too
Jun 19th 2007
      true. There's pretty much a"funny fat guy" on EVERY sitcom now...
Jun 19th 2007
It disgusts me that he's still legally allowed to put pen to paper.
Jun 19th 2007
Okay, honestly are people criticizing the show because...
Jun 19th 2007
what's the proper age for pretty healthy black women to turn fat?
Jun 19th 2007
advice to Mr. Tyler Perry...
Jun 19th 2007
do you watch/enjoy his movies, jam?
Jun 19th 2007
its funny you should ask...
Jun 19th 2007
critics don't work for free, bruh
Jun 19th 2007
why does Tyler Perry anger you so much?
Jun 19th 2007
I seem angry?
Jun 19th 2007
Hilarious:
Jun 19th 2007
indeed
Jun 19th 2007
Misleading title, man. It doesn't really matter!
Jun 19th 2007
men lie, women lie, number don't lie
Jun 19th 2007
I agree 100%
Jun 19th 2007
cosign
Jun 21st 2007
dang, I thought he was going to answer his critics
Jun 19th 2007
He should focus on defending the unfunniness of his show
Jun 19th 2007
Don't you get it......
Jun 19th 2007
Fatal Flaws in his argument
Jun 20th 2007
Family Reunion was a very good movie
Jun 20th 2007
and there it is...
Jun 20th 2007
he gets extra heat because his shit IS extra
Jun 20th 2007
do you really want a nigga to dig up dirt on that show?
Jun 20th 2007
nigga please
Jun 21st 2007
really, it's not a black thing
Jun 20th 2007
i don't like tarantino because he's gotten wack...understand?
Jun 20th 2007
      Am I to take your response to mean
Jun 20th 2007
           no
Jun 20th 2007
yep, speak on it.
Jun 21st 2007
a four-hour block of Tyler Perry!
Jun 20th 2007
Fuck all of y'all
Jun 20th 2007
      RE: Fuck all of y'all
Jun 22nd 2007
Hold up, TBS ordered 100 episodes?
Jun 20th 2007
Oh *hell* no!
Jun 20th 2007
Dupe
Jun 20th 2007
I'm confused, does he have an order for 100 episodes
Jun 20th 2007
50 are in the can.
Jun 20th 2007
that's because he works hard
Jun 21st 2007
      ^^^Deadin that black folks are lazy stereotype. I see it
Jun 21st 2007
i'm not mad. and i've not seen more than 5 minutes of anything
Jun 21st 2007
okay. So I watched it last night...just to be objective.
Jun 21st 2007
It's not supposed to be...
Jun 21st 2007
      no...it's supposed to make money and you supposed to not watch
Jun 21st 2007
      how is a sitcom not supposed to be funny?
Jun 22nd 2007
has nothing to do with Obesity for me...........
Jun 21st 2007
I hope he wins and wins big
Jun 24th 2007
the fat black people crtitcism
Jun 26th 2007
that's a bad reason to hate the show
Jun 26th 2007

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #292449 Previous topic | Next topic