Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #217006

Subject: "Slate's great breakdown of Zach Braff" Previous topic | Next topic
DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Fri Sep-22-06 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Slate's great breakdown of Zach Braff"

assessment
Zach Braff
Why is this guy the voice of my generation?
By Josh Levin
Posted Friday, Sept. 22, 2006, at 4:59 PM ET

Zach Braff has said that his hit movie Garden State (2004) was "a big, life-affirming, state-of-the-union address for twentysomethings." I'm a twentysomething. His new feature, The Last Kiss, documents the mental anguish of a 29-year-old commitment-phobe. I'm at the age when commitment looms. If Braff maintains this pace, he'll be making facile observations about our voyage through life's milestones until he films an indie-rock-infused On Golden Pond. My only comfort is that one day, we'll both be dead. If Zach Braff is the voice of my generation, can't someone please crush his larynx?

Braff is known primarily as a sitcom star (Scrubs) and an indie actor-writer-director (Garden State). His most significant cultural role, though, is as Hollywood's ambassador to the nation's cool kids—the guy who interprets youth culture for film execs and then repackages it for popular consumption.

Want a soundtrack that hipsters will buy? Braff picked the tasteful underground hits that are slathered all over Garden State and The Last Kiss. Want to use the Internet for direct marketing? Braff helped turn Garden State into a grass-roots smash by writing regular blog posts. Need to tap in to the thoughts and speech patterns of the Ritalin Generation? Braff's got that covered, too—he suggested additional shots and scenes for The Last Kiss and punched up the dialogue of Paul Haggis (writer/director of Crash) "to ensure that the characters sounded and behaved like men his age."

What has Braff's keen ear picked up about the nation's young people? If Garden State is to be believed, they spend their days squinting and staring wistfully while slowly learning that it's OK to feel and, like, live. When they do speak, yearbook quotes come out. For example: "Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place." In The Last Kiss, Braff furrows his brow solemnly and ponders a question that's paralyzed millions: Should I replace my incredibly hot girlfriend with an incredibly hot college student? This time, OC starlet Rachel Bilson gets the Ferris Bueller-esque pearl of wisdom: "The world is moving so fast now that we start freaking out way before our parents did because we don't ever stop to breathe anymore." Never has the voice of a generation had so little of substance to say.

So, why do people care about Zach Braff? Tony Goldwyn, the director of The Last Kiss, thinks it's because he has an Everyman quality that recalls Tom Hanks. Braff's adoring fans say he feels more like a friend than a movie star. The introductory video message on his new, Last Kiss-promoting Web site says that he doesn't "want it to be just, like, a site about me because that'll get boring really fast. … I want it to be about you guys, my loyal fans." The populist shtick works—as of this writing, Braff's got 76,072 friends on MySpace.

Braff's doofy looks also help him seem accessible. His face doesn't have the clean, angular lines that usually denote manly movie stardom. He's more like a Claymation version of a matinee idol, with pinchable cheeks and permanently raised eyebrows. His dorky visage and mannerisms work marvelously on Scrubs. We root for Braff's character, the perpetually confused Dr. John "J.D." Dorian, because he's such a good sport about always being the butt of the joke. Braff makes a great doormat—he can pull off both a quizzical reaction shot and a pratfall into a gigantic puddle.

The gee-whiz, aww-shucks affect that works for Braff on TV is irksome on the big screen. Perhaps that's because in the movies he only gets beaten down emotionally—it's much more satisfying to see him fall on his face. Though he's got a mug made for comedy, Braff's ambition is to be the funny-serious guy. He has said he strives to emulate Manhattan and Annie Hall-era Woody Allen. If nothing else, he's captured Allen's self-absorption. Watching Garden State, it's impossible not to remember that Braff is writing for himself and directing himself. As such, it's kind of annoying that 80 percent of the shots are close-ups of Zach Braff. It's also irritating, for that matter, that he created a role that requires Natalie Portman to fall in love with him.

If Garden State is any indication, Braff's weaknesses as a director go beyond narcissism. In the film, he piles on quirky details—a disembodied red gas pump hanging from a car, a guy in a suit of armor, a framed diploma on the ceiling—to keep viewers from scrutinizing his shallow characters and clichéd cultural observations. This is the kind of movie the Zuckers would have made if they used gags in the service of drama rather than screwball comedy. Braff also uses pop songs as a cheat, an easy way to heighten the emotional impact of otherwise unremarkable moments. The music in Garden State is so load-bearing that the movie becomes ridiculous if you swap in different tunes—if you don't believe me, check this out.

Braff is tapped in to how young people consume, if not how they think. Sure, Garden State and The Last Kiss resemble overlong iPod ads with less adventuresome music choices. But the soundtracks that Braff compiled for both films have been remarkably successful—the Garden State CD sold more than a million copies, and The Last Kiss is currently No. 38 on Amazon. It makes sense that Braff is so popular on MySpace, a site that exists so people can list what they like—friends, celebrities, music, movies. Braff is, essentially, an aggregator. His soundtracks are lists of his favorite songs. Garden State was a list of funny anecdotes and off-kilter objects rather than a cohesive story. He might not have anything original to say, but Braff does offer this insight on our generation: We are inclined to mistake stuff for substance.

Braff's problem is that he's come of age at a time when we want our stars—Beyoncé, J. Lo, George Clooney—to do everything. He writes, acts, directs, DJs—next time out, he'll probably lash a pair of cymbals between his knees. Instead of focusing on the one thing he's good at, Braff is quitting Scrubs after this season to focus on his film career. His rumored upcoming projects reveal two possible career paths. The first: the leading role in a Fletch remake. The second: starring in, writing, directing, and producing a remake of a Danish Dogme film about a woman whose husband gets paralyzed in a car accident. Please, Zach, leave paralysis to Lars von Trier. Chevy Chase—now there's a guy you should look up to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRH4gG5LmZ0

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Slate's great breakdown of Zach Braff [View all] , DrNO, Fri Sep-22-06 06:37 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Maybe he doesn't bother me because I'm not in that generation.
Sep 22nd 2006
wtf?
Sep 22nd 2006
eh.
Sep 22nd 2006
that guy is the epitome of "oh, he's just jealous"
Sep 22nd 2006
saying "if you change the songs on the soundtrack, it sounds ridiculous"
Sep 22nd 2006
      yeah, he lost me with that comment
Sep 25th 2006
           Extended warmup time in the bullpen of hate 2 come up w/ that
Sep 25th 2006
                Try watching Seven Samurai with Benny Hill music overdubbed
Sep 25th 2006
this is crazy haterish.
Sep 22nd 2006
i'm tired of "experts" allegedly "breaking things down"
Sep 22nd 2006
RE: i'm tired of "experts" allegedly "breaking things down"
Sep 23rd 2006
I love your avi
Sep 25th 2006
I'd be inclined to write this guy off as a hater.......
Sep 23rd 2006
Nah, this article is pure hate -- gives NO credit at ALL
Sep 23rd 2006
the article does seem a little unnecessarily hateful
Sep 23rd 2006
      Garden State is definitely overrated, but it's not a bad movie
Sep 23rd 2006
           Oh but it IS a bad movie
Sep 23rd 2006
Here's the deal about Garden State:
Sep 24th 2006
LMFAO
Sep 23rd 2006
I've never seen anything Zach Braff has been in
Sep 23rd 2006
Scrubs is a great, hillarious, show
Sep 23rd 2006
wait wait wait. have i been living under a rock or sumn?
Sep 23rd 2006
zach branff most emphatically does not speak for me.
Sep 23rd 2006
you're a twenty-something?
Aug 01st 2008
that's a whole lot of hate
Sep 23rd 2006
I used to write articles like this... you regret them after awhile.
Sep 23rd 2006
RE: Slate's great breakdown of Zach Braff
Sep 23rd 2006
it takes zero courage to deliver that hate
Sep 23rd 2006
      RE: it takes zero courage to deliver that hate
Sep 23rd 2006
           I'm not even a Braff fan, you miss the point n/m
Sep 23rd 2006
hmmmm....
Sep 23rd 2006
Even if he's an asshole
Sep 23rd 2006
Let's be fair: The Last Kiss SUCKS.
Sep 24th 2006
I wasn't a big fan of Garden State, but this article is lame.
Sep 23rd 2006
I hope Zach doesnt quit scrubs
Sep 23rd 2006
Disclaimer: No Zach Braffs were harmed in the writing
Sep 23rd 2006
People can dislike Zach Braff all they like. Just have the common sense
Sep 23rd 2006
      a hatchet job?
Sep 23rd 2006
           So hatchet jobs are now limited to personal profiles only? FOH
Sep 24th 2006
                man
Sep 24th 2006
                     Don't be an ass.
Sep 24th 2006
                          RE: Don't be an ass.
Sep 25th 2006
                               Let's just boil this down to the essence here.
Sep 25th 2006
                                    RE: Let's just boil this down to the essence here.
Sep 25th 2006
                                         See, once again, someone doesn't read.
Sep 25th 2006
                                              +1
Aug 01st 2008
After watching THE LAST KISS.....
Sep 24th 2006
if this is true, then i'm really worried, lol
Sep 24th 2006
But a fuck up with a great soundtrack for the Holister set. n/m
Sep 24th 2006
RE: Slate's great breakdown of Zach Braff
Sep 24th 2006
but is he really worth all this critisism? honestly
Sep 25th 2006
Exactly. It'd be different if this were Ashton fucking Kutcher this dud...
Sep 25th 2006
      Ashton Kutcher? Seriously?
Sep 25th 2006
           RE: Ashton Kutcher? Seriously?
Sep 25th 2006
don't front, you would have punch that fuckboy too!
Sep 26th 2006
I SAW YOU TAGGING MY CAR YOU LITTLE FUCK!!!!
Oct 01st 2006
Although the man is hating, he's also right.
Sep 25th 2006
DING DING DING!
Sep 25th 2006
yup
Sep 25th 2006
Hey Josh Levin, get off his dick
Sep 25th 2006
here's the thing
Sep 25th 2006
zach braff is, like, so hip.
Sep 25th 2006
i've never seen scrubs or garden state
Sep 30th 2006
but thats my issue w/ it, it's not quality hate.
Sep 30th 2006
      dude, evian sucks
Sep 30th 2006
           Mhmm
Sep 30th 2006
           perhaps, after two years in the can, this hate is still not refreshing
Aug 02nd 2008
those who can't do...hate
Sep 30th 2006
this shit is even more stupid with 2 years hindsight
Jul 31st 2008
i appreciate the "let's break it down" articles sometimes
Jul 31st 2008
Zach Braff is the silver-screen version of Jared (from Subway) to me
Aug 01st 2008
Sig worthy
Aug 02nd 2008
http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/4/4b/Neilflynn.jpg ^^^ this guy
Aug 02nd 2008
i love Scrubs and enjoyed GS, but Braff has become cliche...
Aug 01st 2008
meh. i've never seen GS, but I love Scrubs
Aug 01st 2008
i remember seeing the very first "garden state" teaser
Aug 01st 2008
He's a Touchy Feely QT...
Aug 02nd 2008

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #217006 Previous topic | Next topic