Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #746756

Subject: "Liked the earnestness, didn't like the visuals/lack of style. " Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86701 posts
Thu Jun-08-23 12:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Liked the earnestness, didn't like the visuals/lack of style. "
In response to In response to 0
Thu Jun-08-23 12:29 PM by Frank Longo

Like, say what you will about the Bay movies and their scripts and their editing... but the machines looked *visceral.* They were big, they were heavy, they were chrome, they interacted with their environment, they felt *real.* In this, everything feels too light. They move quickly like humans without the sense of size and scale. Their surfaces are so smooth. They don't interact much with things that are real, and when they do, it looks really cartoony (none of the times a character is picked up work at all). It's just so composited in, so weightless, so non-interactive. Which is disappointing, because I thought even in Bumblebee, the effects made the robots feel *real*!

And I think this speaks to a relative lack of style. It feels like exactly what it is-- the Next Franchise Installment-- rather than something with memorable vision (the Bay movies, for better and for worse) or particularly clever execution (Bumblebee). It's kind of like Caple Jr's entry into the Creed franchise. Coogler's voice and eye are so distinctive, and even if parts of Creed III didn't really work for me, it's very clear that Jordan had a unique vision to put his stamp on the franchise. Creed II is a totally fine generic Rocky style movie, and that's more or less what we get with this franchise sequel.

That said, what I *did* really like about this movie is its commitment to being as earnest as possible. There's no smirky one-liners, no tongue-in-cheek Ryan Reynolds-esque irony here. It's a movie that's more than happy to go all-the-way corny from Scene 1, and while the movie mostly bored me for the first hour or so, I admit that, over time, the clear-eyed earnestness won me over.

And that led to the finale really working for me because, while I'm tired of blurry gray textureless CGI settings for final battles (and this definitely has that), the script builds to enough Big Crowd-Pleasing Moments that work, one after the other, that on the whole it ends the movie on a high note. (There's one music cue that will deservedly get applause-- and the soundtrack is great in general.)

So, y'know, if I was 12, I'd have eaten this shit up. And if you were super in love with Transformers when you were a kid, maybe you'll get more of a nostalgia boost than I did and it'll make you feel like you're 12 again. I just wish the visuals/direction of the movie was more stylish, clever, distinctive-- to help separate this entry from the pack. As it stands, it's a totally fine matinee-type movie imo. Not the worst of these, but not one I'm really likely to remember.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (Steven Caple Jr., 2023) [View all] , bwood, Sun Dec-04-22 10:16 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
This and the Bumblebee movie prove Bay needed to go.
Dec 04th 2022
I'd argue that the Bay movies proved Bay needed to go
Dec 04th 2022
Looks solid, robot centered and not human centered n/m
Dec 04th 2022
But is that Jazz though?
Dec 05th 2022
great character design
Dec 07th 2022
Thus was hella fun and entertaining
Jun 05th 2023
Did you ever watch the Bumblebee movie? That was really good
Jun 05th 2023
      RE: Did you ever watch the Bumblebee movie? That was really good
Jun 05th 2023
This was a breeze compared to the marathons Bay was directing
Jun 08th 2023
I'd have to rewatch to see if Bay actually accomplished that
Jun 25th 2023
      I think the Bay movies have aged really well, visually.
Jul 17th 2023
crossover?
Jul 11th 2023
Enjoyed. But watching Unicron had me thinking about the MCU
Jul 17th 2023

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #746756 Previous topic | Next topic