Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #701435

Subject: "Lack of success saved this one from think pieces" Previous topic | Next topic
SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Lack of success saved this one from think pieces"
In response to In response to 0

SPOILERS

Rightfully so, there would have been a lot of stories about how this was yet another story that uses rape of a woman as a way to punish a man. And, personally, I felt like the switch to Bateman's focus at the end really killed what was already a boring movie to me. Maybe it hurt that I saw the trailer that gave away the turn but I felt like there could have been a good mindfuck movie if it had been focused on Rebecca Hall's character. Does she believe Gordo? Does she believe her husband? Who is lying to her? Instead I saw a woman stuck between a weirdo and an asshole. I was hoping that she was the one who outed Simon to the guy he lied about to get the job.

And the final twist was so odd to me. The pleasie weasie stuff felt like something that should have been set up earlier (Or bring up the Simon Says angle again instead.) Why wouldn't Simon go to the cops? Couldn't this help him win back Rebecca Hall? He was right all along that Gordo was dangerous.

Again, maybe if the trailer hadn't given so much away I might have been more invested but I'm not sure if even then I would have bought into it since Edgemont was so comedically stalkerish in the beginning. By the end, when he appeared in the window at the hospital, I was outright laughing.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Gift (Edgerton, 2015) [View all] , bwood, Tue Aug-04-15 11:24 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I ride for Joel's stuff
Aug 06th 2015
Why am I not surprised? SMH...
Aug 07th 2015
Do you want me to change it back?
Aug 07th 2015
I dug it. Buddy's got good writer-director chops. SPOILERS
Aug 09th 2015
I really liked it.
Aug 09th 2015
      it happened in mine, too, twice actually but the 2nd was funnier
Aug 11th 2015
I dug it. It didn't reinvent the wheel
Aug 10th 2015
Rebecca Hall with the short hair = in my wheel house
Aug 16th 2015
RE: The Gift (Edgerton, 2015)
Aug 10th 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this, wow at that ending though!
Aug 12th 2015
RE: Thoroughly enjoyed this, wow at that ending though!
Aug 16th 2015
well directed. very well acted. highly problematic and kinda goofy
Mar 15th 2016

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #701435 Previous topic | Next topic