Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #686561

Subject: "Adam Sandler to feature next 4 films straight to Netflix. Studios? Mad." Previous topic | Next topic
The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Oct-08-14 12:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Adam Sandler to feature next 4 films straight to Netflix. Studios? Mad."
Wed Oct-08-14 12:32 AM by The Wordsmith

Do any of you think this is a good idea? If this strikes gold for Sandler, I'm sure many more production companies will be willing to try this method. Will this make Netflix a powerhouse? Will this give artists more freedom with the type of movies they'd like to make?

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/694789

Warner Bros. No Longer in Talks to Make Adam Sandler's 'The Ridiculous Six' (Exclusive)

4:14 PM PST 10/07/2014 by Pamela McClintock
Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP
His deal to make four films for Netflix puts Hollywood studios in a tough spot

Warner Bros. is no longer in talks to make Adam Sandler's The Ridiculous Six, a Western comedy that faced a series of challenges, including the actor's decision to make four feature films exclusively for Netflix, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The Netflix deal, announced Oct. 1, caught many by surprise, since Sandler is one of the studio system's most entrenched, and prolific, stars. He'll both star in and produce the four titles, meaning he'll be unavailable for long stretches of time for studio projects. His company, Happy Madison Productions, will develop the movies in tandem with Netflix.

A host of issues plagued Ridiculous Six well before Netflix announced its Sandler partnership. One insider said Warners' decision to walk away from the comedy had nothing to do with the streaming service, yet the decision coincided with word of Sandler's new deal.

Warners had been in talks for months to make the film, and during that time, Sandler's Blended badly underperformed for the studio, while Seth McFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West, another Western comedy, out and out bombed (Universal and Media Rights Capital made that film). Also, Warners and Happy Madison hadn't come to terms on the size of the production budget for Ridiculous Six.

Read more Netflix's Ted Sarandos Slams Theater Owners: They 'Try to Strangle Innovation' (Video)

It's not the first time Ridiculous Six has left the rodeo. Sony was originally set to make the movie, but put the film into turnaround in 2012. Paramount pursued the movie, then passed, with rights reverting to Sony.

Warner Bros. declined comment on Ridiculous Six. Sony and Happy Madison likewise declined comment, including as to whether Ridiculous Six could now be headed to Netflix.

Warner executives haven't made any official statements, but behind the scenes say they fully intend to work with Sandler again. And Sony, where Sandler has a longtime deal, says it has every intention of working with Sandler for years to come.

Read more Adam Sandler's Comedic Western Moves From Sony to Paramount (Exclusive)

Still, industry observers question what will happen once Sandler's current Sony commitments, including Pixels and Hotel Transylvania 2, have been completed and he turns his attention to his Netflix projects. Pixels, which just wrapped shooting, is set for release July 24, 2015. The Hotel Transylvania sequel rolls out Sept. 15, 2015, and there's a possible Grown Ups 3 in the offing.

Sources say Sandler, whose box-office track record has been up and down as of late, did call Sony and Warners to personally inform them of the deal, but didn't give much notice.

EDIT: Here's a little more elaboration on how the studios (and theaters) ain't feeling this move:

http://www.slashgear.com/netflix-hit-with-industry-backlash-over-new-movie-deals-07349635/

Netflix hit with industry backlash over new movie deals

Brittany Hillen

Netflix and Adam Sandler's Happy Madison Productions recently made a surprise announcement: that the video streaming service would partner in creating four new Sandler movies that will launch on Netflix exclusively. This immediately followed a similar announcement that Netflix will be making a second Crouching Tiger movie, launching it online at the same time as in IMAX theaters. Such moves were bound to happen and give consumers more control over their entertainment, but as expected, both have received substantial backlash from industry staples balking at the budding shift in how theatrical entertainment takes place.

The Hollywood Reporter says sources have told it Warner Bros. has dropped talks about producing Sandler's Western comedy The Ridiculous Six. The reason partly surrounds the deal with Netflix, though one source says the decision only merely coincided with the Netflix deal, but wasn't a direct result of it.

The sources say, among other things, that Sandler made a call himself to both Warner Bros. and Sony to let them know about his milestone partnership with Netflix, but that there wasn't much warning that it was coming, and the deal poses issues for studios on more than just the business level.

These troubles only hint at the wider issues the Netflix deal has caused, with theaters having threatened to boycott any film that will launch on Netflix before or at the same time as cinemas. Regal Cinemas is one such company, with the New York Times reporting that it said it won't "participate in an experiment where you can see the same product on screens varying from three stories tall to three inches wide on a smartphone."

Since 1976

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Adam Sandler to feature next 4 films straight to Netflix. Studios? Mad. [View all] , The Wordsmith, Wed Oct-08-14 12:15 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Seems like a natural progression of things
Oct 08th 2014
i think in Sandler's case, his friends will show up
Oct 08th 2014
Fading star?
Jun 06th 2016
If it was Sony instead of WB, there'd be smoke
Oct 08th 2014
not his next four, not necessarily. but four.
Oct 08th 2014
Neither of those swipes explain why this is a threat to traditional stud...
Oct 08th 2014
perhaps because it could devalue the theatrical release or the
Oct 08th 2014
      RE: perhaps because it could devalue the theatrical release or the
Oct 08th 2014
      RE: perhaps because it could devalue the theatrical release or the
Oct 08th 2014
      c is why i wasnt getting it
Oct 08th 2014
      Theatrical release ticket sales are fine.
Oct 08th 2014
Sandler's last 4 movies should have gone straight to dvd
Oct 08th 2014
I got really stoned and decided to try Ridiculous Six
Jan 04th 2016
I was sober
Jan 04th 2016
Is he like Michel'e where he talks as fucked off camera as he does on?
Jan 04th 2016
Sandler won
Jan 07th 2016
It's kind of meaningless
Jan 07th 2016
according to netflix's vp of content, it's viewing hours
Jan 08th 2016
      It would have been news if it wasn't the biggest
Jan 08th 2016
Ultimately America wins
Jan 07th 2016
What does Netflix define as "watched"
Jan 08th 2016
0 seconds
Jan 09th 2016
R6 has a one star anticipated rating for me.
Jan 09th 2016
RE: R6 has a one star anticipated rating for me.
Jan 10th 2016
      I just checked the anticipated rating for their Originals I haven't watc...
Jan 10th 2016
           RE: I just checked the anticipated rating for their Originals I haven't ...
Jan 10th 2016
                And now Netflix wants to ditch the rating system
Jan 11th 2016
                     RE: And now Netflix wants to ditch the rating system
Jan 11th 2016
                          They should just have emojis instead of stars
Jan 11th 2016
                               RE: They should just have emojis instead of stars
Jan 11th 2016
they definitely put their thumb on the scales for netflix stuff
Jan 14th 2016
      the netflix curve
May 28th 2016
Maybe the movie automatically plays after an episode of anything
Jan 10th 2016
      so hes U2
Mar 26th 2017
Semi-related: NBC reveals some Netflix ratings
Jan 13th 2016
Its a good thing....
Jun 06th 2016
I can see that.
Jun 08th 2016
This is true...
Jun 11th 2016
I was actually surprised that I liked Do-Over
Jun 08th 2016
surprisingly, it's probably Sandler's best movie in years.
Jun 16th 2016
four more jeers
Mar 26th 2017

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #686561 Previous topic | Next topic