Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #436930

Subject: "So Ive started watching Weeds and The Wire..." Previous topic | Next topic
phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Thu Feb-26-09 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So Ive started watching Weeds and The Wire..."

I'm 5 episodes into The Wire, and almost done with Season 2 of Weeds.

My friends and OKPs have sworn up and down about The Wire for so long, and its been on my radar, that I finally cracked and rented the first couple discs of the first season.

As for Weeds, its a show and premise that has interested me since I first heard about it, and finally got around to checking it out as well.

I like Weeds more, and it has hooked me like a classic television show. I want to know what the family business is going to get into next, and the final scene of Season 1 was a perfect way to end it and set up the next Season. I care about each and ever character on the show, and each is cleverly written. Sure the premise is silly and a little bit unrealistic, but damn, its engaging and comical.

The Wire left me with a different feeling. While I enjoy the show, and will continue to watch, I didn't quite understand why it was so critically acclaimed and popular with so many people. It took me until episode 4 in fact before I wished to watch the entire season, and the last episode I watched pinpointed my biggest issue with the show: it's forced. You know the scene where McNulty and his partner are searching for further clues and bullet information for that dead girl in her kitchen? They say the word fuck about 50 times, and that's just in that one scene. I'm all one for defending the use of the word, b/c its used in real life more than movies and television portray. However with this one scene, I finally understood why this show wasn't sticking like I thought or hoped it would. The characters are cliche and the scripting is very weak (that story of McNulty's boss explaining his dream was just awful).

The characters are not all bad though. McNulty and the lesbian are good lead characters, the workshop cop is slick as hell, and the dude from Fringe and drug dealer D are probably my 2 favorite characters, and there is more there than meets the eye. Plus, I'm only 5 episodes in, and is that really enough to make a full judgment? Only time will tell.

Let's discuss.

*gets up from ducking*

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

So Ive started watching Weeds and The Wire... [View all] , phenompyrus, Thu Feb-26-09 09:30 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
My girlfriend and I just started Weeds and we finished Season 2
Feb 26th 2009
Weeds gets worse and The Wire gets better
Feb 26th 2009
co-sign
Feb 26th 2009
Cosign...
Feb 26th 2009
Yeah this post is not gonna go well for you
Feb 26th 2009
Yeah. I'm just gonna stop right here:
Feb 26th 2009
Keep Watching the wire
Feb 26th 2009
Weeds is some bullshit...
Feb 26th 2009
RE: So Ive started watching Weeds and The Wire...
Feb 26th 2009
Weeds quickly got ridiculous...
Feb 26th 2009
i got through with three and didn't feel the need to continue
Feb 27th 2009
u'll change your mind on the wire...
Feb 26th 2009
Bunk is awesome in that scene
Feb 27th 2009
Weeds starts off good... but each season gets progressively worse
Feb 27th 2009
if you dont love the wire
Feb 27th 2009
I'm in the same spot
Mar 03rd 2009
give it time.... wire/shield....
Mar 06th 2009
      just started on the shield and...
Mar 06th 2009
after watchin 5 eps of the wire, u think 2 have figured out the show...
Mar 03rd 2009
Its just an early opinion...
Mar 06th 2009
stupid post
Mar 06th 2009
You're going to have to defend this further:
Mar 06th 2009
curious...have u watched any more of the wire?
Mar 06th 2009
that scene was brilliant...
Mar 06th 2009

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #436930 Previous topic | Next topic