Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #370548

Subject: "Brother themes" Previous topic | Next topic
paragon216
Charter member
5565 posts
Sun May-11-08 01:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
34. "Brother themes"
In response to In response to 0
Sun May-11-08 01:14 PM by paragon216

the whole dueling brothers theme was intriguing and somewhat plausible...looked into it some more and came up with these tidbits

gary toup, an author, was one of the first to die on the island, he was sucked into one of the jet turbines after the crash

his new novel was called BAD TWIN, hugo and sawyer both read it and jack threw it in the fire...here's the summary

"Sometimes evil has a familiar face..."

Paul Artisan, P.I. is a new version of an old breed -- a righter of wrongs, someone driven to get to the bottom of things. Too bad his usual cases are of the boring malpractice and fraud variety. Until now.

His new gig turns on the disappearance of one of a pair of twins, adult scions of a rich but tragedy-prone family. The missing twin -- a charismatic poster-boy for irresponsibility -- has spent his life daring people to hate him, punishing himself endlessly for his screw-ups and misdeeds. The other twin -- Artisan's client -- is dutiful and resentful in equal measure, bewildered that his "other half" could have turned out so badly, and wracked by guilt at his inability to reform him. He has a more practical reason, as well, for wanting his brother found: their crazy father, in failing health and with guilty secrets of his own, will not divide the family fortune until both siblings are accounted for.

But it isn't just a fortune that's at stake here. Truth itself is up for grabs, as the detective's discoveries seem to challenge everything we think we know about identity, and human nature, and family. As Artisan journeys across the globe to track down the bad twin, he seems to have moved into a mirror-world where friends and enemies have a way of looking very much alike. The P.I. may have his long-awaited chance to put his courage and ideals to the test, but if he doesn't get to the bottom of this case soon, it could very well cost him his life.

"Troup's long-awaited Bad Twin is a suspenseful novel that touches on many powerful themes, including the consequence of vengeance, the power of redemption, and where to turn when all seems lost."

also the story of jacob in the bible...

Jacob , also known as Israel, is the third Biblical patriarch. Jacob was the son of Isaac, the grandson of Abraham, twin brother of Esau(seems like the movie theme we talked about before also ties in with 'Bad Twin').

Jacob had twelve sons by his two wives, Leah and Rachel, and his two concubines, Bilhah and Zilpah. He thus sired the twelve Tribes of Israel. His sons were Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Zebulun, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Joseph, and Benjamin(a refernce to benjamin linus perhaps?)

He and Esau were markedly different in appearance and behaviour. Esau was a ruddy hunter, while Jacob was a gentle man who "dwelled in tents," interpreted by many biblical commentators as a mark of his studiousness and reserved personality(i think this explains the test locke was given pretty well, and he obviously chose the swashbuckling adventurer path as evidenced by his argument with his teacher, going on the walkabout, and his picture of Sir Richard Francis Burton in his locker as a kid).

Isaac prayed to the LORD on behalf of his wife, because she was barren; and the LORD answered him and Rebekah his wife conceived.
But the children struggled together within her; and she said, "If it is so, why then am I this way?" So she went to inquire of the LORD.
The LORD said to her, "Two nations are in your womb; And two peoples will be separated from your body; And one people shall be stronger than the other; And the older shall serve the younger."
When her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb.

When the boys grew up, Esau became a skillful hunter, a man of the field, but Jacob was a peaceful man, living in tents.

Seizing an opportunity, Jacob informed Esau that he would sell him some lentil soup which he had just cooked, in exchange for the birthright which belonged to Esau as the older brother. Esau agreed, commenting, "I am going to die — what is this birthright to me?" The fact that Esau would sell his familial rights in exchange for soup indicates the disdain in which he held his fathers' traditions. In the words of the Bible, "Esau despised the birthright."

As Esau went out to the hunt, she instructed Jacob to fetch her two goats so that she could prepare a tasty meal for his father, and commanded him to bring the meal to Isaac to receive the blessing in his brother's stead. Jacob protested that his father might notice the substitution through touch, since Esau was hairy and he was smooth-skinned. Rebecca told him not to worry, and placed hairy goatskins over his neck and arms.

disguised, Jacob went into his father's tent. Isaac was surprised that he had returned so soon from the "hunt." "Who are you, my son?" Isaac asked suspiciously. "I am Esau your firstborn," Jacob replied (the Hebrew words, however, can be divided into two statements: "I" and "Esau is your firstborn"). Isaac was still suspicious and asked to feel him, since Esau was hairy. The goatskins seemed to fool him, although he maintained, "The voice is the voice of Jacob, but the hands are the hands of Esau." Nevertheless, Isaac blessed him and sent him on his way.

As soon as Jacob left the tent, Esau arrived and exposed the deception. Isaac was shaken, but he affirmed that Jacob would indeed be blessed. To Esau's pathetic entreaties, he agreed to give Esau a lesser blessing. Esau exclaimed, "Is that why he is called Jacob, because he has deceived me these two times?" (Genesis 27:35), another play on Jacob's name. Then Esau swore to himself that he would kill Jacob in revenge as soon as his father was dead.

Jacob experienced a vision in which he saw a ladder reaching into heaven with angels going up and down it, a vision that is commonly referred to as Jacob's Ladder. From the top of the ladder he heard the voice of God, who repeated many of the blessings upon him.

Various interpretations of biblical passages suggest that Jacob's favoritism of Rachel over Leah passed over to their children. Some commentators feel that this rivalry played an important role in the later attempt on Joseph's life by his half-brothers

Rachel went into labor and died as she gave birth to her second—and Jacob's twelfth—son, Benjamin(obvious). Jacob buried her and erected a monument over her grave, which is located just outside Bethlehem.

Never come between a black man and his hustle in a room full of white people

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

LOST theories [View all] , paragon216, Sat May-10-08 05:20 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Answers:
May 10th 2008
RE: Answers:
May 10th 2008
      Answers:
May 10th 2008
           claire ain't dead, that is unsubstantiated
May 10th 2008
                Saying she's alive is also unsubstantiated.
May 10th 2008
                     she woke up to find her dad holding aaron
May 10th 2008
                          Did she?
May 10th 2008
                               so she gets killed
May 10th 2008
                                    No.
May 10th 2008
                                         funny swipe
May 10th 2008
                                              ok now i believe she's dead lol n.m
May 12th 2008

May 12th 2008
what did jack do for the island to make him sick?
May 10th 2008
Trying to leave.
May 10th 2008
      yes this makes sense
May 12th 2008
why cant ben kill widmore?
May 10th 2008
ohhh, the island wont let them kill each other
May 10th 2008
      about shooting locke
May 10th 2008
who raised locke?
May 10th 2008
um...why not??
May 10th 2008
looking into it
May 11th 2008
Foster homes
May 11th 2008
locke's knife is going to be pivotal
May 10th 2008
u go out into the australian outback...
May 10th 2008
      Locke's not a hunter
May 13th 2008
           yeah
May 14th 2008
ben says he's not always the leader
May 10th 2008
he said he wasn't ALWAYS the leader
May 10th 2008
why does widmore wanna torch the island?
May 10th 2008
mystery tales
May 10th 2008
what are the consequences to being chosen?
May 10th 2008
THE GREAT GEDANKEN EXPERIMENT, A TALE OF TIME TRAVEL AND SCHRODINGER'S C...
May 10th 2008
it's obviously based on The Forbidden Planet and The Tempest
May 11th 2008
they take bits from everything
May 11th 2008
RE: they take bits from everything
May 11th 2008
      henry gale
May 11th 2008
           RE: henry gale
May 11th 2008
                The Invention of Morel
May 11th 2008
one of the dharma sites was called the tempest
May 11th 2008
dude, the monster has been explained
May 11th 2008
      Cerberus
May 11th 2008
           ok but that doesn't explain what it actually IS
May 12th 2008
           the island is obviously not working properly
May 12th 2008
           I thought this was a theory and not proved yet
May 12th 2008
                the producer
May 12th 2008
                     I don't know how you all remember all these things
May 12th 2008
                          its written on the blast wall hologram thing
May 12th 2008
hanso foundation
May 11th 2008
Hans O(ersted) father of electromagnetism
May 12th 2008
      i can buy some of that
May 12th 2008
           i don't buy that either
May 12th 2008
is there an amelia earhart connection?
May 11th 2008
namesakes
May 11th 2008
What's up with Miles when he was in the dead grandson's room?
May 12th 2008
WHOA
May 12th 2008
      whoa is right
May 12th 2008
           i watched it again
May 14th 2008
NEW SHIT
May 12th 2008
mathew abbadon
May 12th 2008
WALT shit gets deep
May 12th 2008
the Walt aspect is interesting, but you don't believe the Frogurt angle ...
May 13th 2008
      negative on the frogurt
May 14th 2008
           I don't think he actually dies...
May 14th 2008
                we know that two die
May 14th 2008
                     I don't want Locke to die
May 14th 2008
                          if I've learned ANYTHING, it's not to believe what I see, lol...
May 14th 2008
                          that's what jack testified to
May 14th 2008
                               on second thought
May 14th 2008

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #370548 Previous topic | Next topic