Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3043544

Subject: "Amazon Wrote an Article on My Hip-Hop Orchestra" Previous topic | Next topic
Thee Phantom
Member since Jul 18th 2005
2775 posts
Wed Aug-02-23 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Amazon Wrote an Article on My Hip-Hop Orchestra"

Link: https://bit.ly/43RxaFW

(Swipe)
Amazonian blends classical music and hip-hop with the Illharmonic Orchestra

Jeffrey McNeill is sharing his advice for pursuing your passion, ‘You will receive thousands of ‘no’s’ for every ‘yes.’ Make that yes count and keep building on the momentum of that.’

When he was in grade school, Jeffrey McNeill’s mother signed him up for flute and piano lessons. As he grew up, Jeffrey was influenced by his dad’s record collection, which included a range of music from Motown to Mozart. By the time he was a teen, Jeffrey was combining his love of classical music with hip-hop. His first mix: Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony with the Beastie Boys’ “Paul Revere.”

Jeffrey is a regional loss prevention business partner for Amazon Go and Fresh, based in New York. He’s also continuing to create and perform music, with the MC moniker “Thee Phantom,” along with the Illharmonic Orchestra. Jeffrey and his wife founded the orchestra 25 years ago (the group features a rotating cast of musicians, including a string quartet, brass quartet, pianist, and female vocalist). Inspired to give other artists the chance to perform at major venues, the Illharmonic has provided opportunities to 200 musicians to date.

He was the first hip-hop artist to perform at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia, and Jeffrey and the Illharmonic Orchestra have shared their music onstage at New York’s Carnegie Hall. We caught up with him to learn more.

What is the Illharmonic Orchestra?

We combine the raw energy and passion of hip-hop with the beautiful sounds of live, orchestral accompaniment.

What inspired you to create a hip-hop orchestra?

I initially envisioned myself fronting the Philadelphia Orchestra or Boston Pops. The idea of forming my own Illharmonic Orchestra solidified when my wife and I started incorporating younger musicians who, like ourselves, grew up influenced by hip-hop and classical music.

What do you enjoy about performing?

Connecting with the audience. When that certain lyric, song, or composition lands with the audience in the way you envisioned, there are very few feelings like it.

Is there one performance that has been your favorite?

Our performance at the Kennedy Center on New Year’s Eve is probably the favorite for both my wife and I. The audience and the venue were electric, and that helped elevate our performance.
Illharmonic Orchestra performing with the Amazon Orchestra

Tell us about your collaboration with the Amazon Symphony Orchestra.

In 2020, I reached out to members of the Amazon Symphony Orchestra to put on a concert in Seattle with 50-plus musicians onstage. It was truly an awesome experience and one that I am eternally grateful for.

Check out Jeffrey’s (Thee Phantom) performance with the Amazon Symphony Orchestra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXayY6Zrrok&t

How do your passions for working at Amazon and conducting/leading the Illharmonic complement each other?

Being a composer and maestro is very similar to my job here. Both require the ability to pull an idea from your head and put it on paper, multitask, build relationships, guide individuals toward their strengths, and help the business make the best possible music that it can.

Are there any Leadership Principles that tie into your work on this project?

Think Big. In 1987, there wasn’t a blueprint for combining hip-hop and classical music. There also wasn’t a preexisting hip-hop orchestra. My wife and I having the confidence to believe that we could allowed the Illharmonic to reach the stage at Carnegie Hall and beyond.

How do you find time for both the Illharmonic and your career?

Strategic planning. Both pursuits are demanding and time-consuming. Properly managing my time (still a work in progress) has afforded me the opportunity to do both.

What advice do you have for other Amazonians who want to pursue their passion?

Don’t be discouraged. You will receive thousands of “no’s” for every “yes.” Make that yes count, and keep building on the momentum of that.

Anything else you’d like to add?

We are filming a documentary about our journey and working on an unscripted series that will follow us on our Farewell Tour in 2024. . I would love to pitch it to Amazon Originals.

IG: @illharmonic.orchestra
Youtube: www.youtube.com/theephantom

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Amazon Wrote an Article on My Hip-Hop Orchestra [View all] , Thee Phantom, Wed Aug-02-23 11:35 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: dope shit!
Aug 03rd 2023
RE: dope shit!
Aug 07th 2023

Lobby The Lesson topic #3043544 Previous topic | Next topic