Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3041576

Subject: "Who is Paid & Live and how did he get a Lauryn Hill feature?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49501 posts
Thu Jan-26-23 10:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who is Paid & Live and how did he get a Lauryn Hill feature?"

I've legit been wondering this for 20 years and have never gotten to the bottom of it.

Somewhere in the early days of napster/audiogalaxy I, like many others, came across this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa3_ikQhU_o

And it goes. Dope track. Dope Lauryn Hill verse. Dope use of that Kool & the Gang track.

So why wasn't it released? Right issues?

But more importantly, how did this rapper, who no one has ever heard of, get a song with Lauryn presumably when she was at the height of her powers*?

I thought maybe it's a homemade remix but Lauryn Hill says his name and they rap back and forth. This is definitely a collaboration.

It's also crazy their is nothing on the neet that I have found about Paid & Live. No other songs. No real name anywhere. Just this super dope track.

Anyone knows the story here?

I think close to launching a hip-hop mysteries podcast investigation unless there is an easy answer to this story.

*discog puts the making of this song as 1997 which is Post the Score but pre-Miseducation.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Who is Paid & Live and how did he get a Lauryn Hill feature? [View all] , Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Jan-26-23 10:55 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I thought this was through DJ Skribble,
Jan 31st 2023
If I had to guess, the connection is through the track's producers
Jan 31st 2023
This is the best lead I've gotten in 20 years. Thank you!
Feb 01st 2023
RE: Who is Paid & Live and how did he get a Lauryn Hill feature?
Feb 06th 2023
Was it actually released?
Feb 07th 2023

Lobby The Lesson topic #3041576 Previous topic | Next topic