Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3036211

Subject: "This Weeknd Dawn FM Album though " Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49326 posts
Fri Jan-07-22 09:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"This Weeknd Dawn FM Album though "
Fri Jan-07-22 09:30 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

On first listen this album is really really good. I've liked a lot of the Weeknd but he has some times left me cold. His music can be very impersonal and purposefully heartless (its a theme in a lot of his songs).

I really started to appreciate him though with the video series from that last album. It was so twisted and freakish, made me realize there was some serious stuff going on under the surface.

He has been tinkering with this synth 80s sounds for some time but I think he figured it out how to do it beyond novelty and pastiche and has real heart.

I use to think he was a bit too derivative of MJJ, but he has definitely broken free of that with this album. Its fitting he is wearing old man makeup on the cover because this is definitely a more mature album. He even indirectly addresses his previous coldness with the Quincy Jones (I'm guessing) interlude. That “I Want To Thank You” sample on “Sacrifice”, chef's kiss.

Can't wait to listen to a bunch more times.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This Weeknd Dawn FM Album though [View all] , Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Jan-07-22 09:23 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah he tried the sound for first time on Starboy but failed miserably.....
Jan 07th 2022
i enjoyed it but not as much as his last album
Jan 07th 2022
i consider myself a big fan, but this album is not hitting for me
Jan 07th 2022
Not a fan previously - I like this
Jan 10th 2022
Re:Breakbot. This is fascinating...
Jan 11th 2022
      I think it's Breakbot's influences a lot too
Jan 13th 2022

Lobby The Lesson topic #3036211 Previous topic | Next topic