Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3034849

Subject: "Little Brother - don't Support ‘Minstrel Show’ Vinyl - Royalties Dis..." Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13924 posts
Sat Sep-25-21 09:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Little Brother - don't Support ‘Minstrel Show’ Vinyl - Royalties Dis..."

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/little-brother-minstrel-show-vinyl-release.html

Little Brother Tells Fans Not to Support ‘Minstrel Show’ Vinyl Release Due to Royalties Dispute

DIMAS SANFIORENZO

Dimas Sanfiorenzo is the Managing Editor for Okayplayer.

Little Brother is telling their fans not to support the vinyl rerelease of their classic sophomore album, The Minstrel Show.
Earlier in the week, ABB Records announced that they were doing a reissue of Little Brother’s classic sophomore album, The Minstrel Show. Distributor FatBeast announced that the vinyl would be going on sale on their platform today (September 21.)

Within a couple of hours, Phonte and Rapper Big Pooh both blasted ABB Records, who has the vinyl rights. The duo claim that they have not received any royalty payments for their debut The Listening and The Minstrel Show for more than 15 years.

It was Rapper Big Pooh who sent the first shot. In a tweet the rapper said he was asking fans not to support the vinyl release, writing, “I see ABB Records has decided to put up a repress of The Minstrel Show on vinyl instead of answering for 16 years of non payment on TMS or answering for 18 years of non payment for The Listening. Humbly asking that you not support bad business practices.”

Rapper Big Pooh
@RapperBigPooh
I see ABB Records has decided to put up a repress of The Minstrel Show on vinyl instead of answering for 16 years of non payment on TMS or answering for 18 years of non payment for The Listening. Humbly asking that you not support bad business practices. Thank you for listening.

Phonte had his own message. He first went to Fatbeats’ Instagram to air out his grievance with ABB Records. (Fatbeats would eventually delete their own post.)

fatbeats

YOU ASKED FOR MORE!!!! We've got more. It's going up tomorrow 9/21 - 8am (pst)

Little Brother - The Minstrel Show (2xLP - Gold Vinyl)

--------------=

phontigallo

Peace everybody, Phonte from @littlebrother_nc here. Hope everybody is safe and healthy.

I've done direct business with Fat Beats many times in the past and they've always done right by me, so this post is in no way indicative of their business practices. I hate to see a reputable company get caught in the crossfire, but enough is enough.

ABB Records hasn't paid us a dime on any of these Listening and Minstrel Show vinyl pressings. We haven't seen a royalty statement from ABB Records since 2004. Until they make right and do proper business with my brother @rapperbigpooh and I, we are humbly asking all of our fans not to buy any of this shit.

Thanks for your support

----------=

Then he made his own post on Instagram with the same messaging as Big Pooh. He wants royalties from ABB Records:

“… my brother @rapperbigpooh and I are asking that you don’t support any LB vinyl represses and stop running The Listening on all streaming platforms until Ben Nickleberry Jr. aka Beni B. of @abbrecords honors his fucking word and pays us what we’re owed.”

----------=

phontigallo

We are asking our fans to NOT support ABB Records by purchasing the repress of The Minstrel Show or The Listening. We have not seen a dollar from the sale of either record, ever.

#LBbizness

----------------=

phontigallo

Verified

I have no smoke with @fatbeats, but @abbrecords can get the entire fuck outta here. Either way, my brother @rapperbigpooh and I are asking that you don’t support any LB vinyl represses and stop running The Listening on all streaming platforms until Ben Nickleberry Jr. aka Beni B. of @abbrecords honors his fucking word and pays us what we’re owed. Thank you for listening. #LBbizness

--------------=

Released in 2005, The Minstrel Show was the follow up Little Brother’s debut album The Listening. The album was released on Atlantic — their first and only on a major — and was mirrored with controversy. Editor-in-Chief of The Source at the time, Joshua “Fahiym” Ratcliffe, quit after his 4.5 rating of the album was reduced to 4 by owners Benzino Dave Mays. (Benzino later admitted he hadn’t listened to the album yet.) Then there was the snafu with BET, who allegedly didn’t play the group’s “Lovin’ It” video because it was too “intelligent.” BET would deny this somewhat saying,” It’s not true… not in that context.”

After The Minstrel Show, producer 9th Wonder would leave the group and Little Brother would go on to release three more studio albums, including their big comeback project May the Lord Watch, which dropped in 2019.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Little Brother - don't Support ‘Minstrel Show’ Vinyl - Royalties Dis... [View all] , c71, Sat Sep-25-21 09:43 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Good for them. Hope it works out
Sep 25th 2021
Looks like Fat Beats shut it down and stopped selling it
Sep 26th 2021
16/18 years of non-payment…..yeah okay
Sep 27th 2021
a seasoned veteran should know
Sep 27th 2021
      right?
Sep 27th 2021
      im not accusing them of lying, im tired of the excuses
Sep 27th 2021
           RE: im not accusing them of lying, im tired of the excuses
Sep 28th 2021
                for 18 years dude just CHOSE to not pay? you believe that?
Sep 28th 2021
                     ... I do. It's incredibly believable.
Sep 28th 2021
                          not if you understand business and the legal system.
Sep 28th 2021
                               RE: not if you understand business and the legal system.
Sep 28th 2021
                               LOL riiiight.
Sep 28th 2021
                               RE: LOL riiiight.
Sep 28th 2021
                               There are scores of lawsuits over unpaid royalties
Dec 06th 2021
      i do.
Sep 27th 2021
..would be great if this played out like the Chappelle Show situation...
Oct 04th 2021
seems like something got worked out
Dec 04th 2021
I got one of the records.
Dec 04th 2021
Dope!
Dec 04th 2021
      For LB? Man, absolutely.
Dec 04th 2021
           Yea supporting LB is well worth $100.
Dec 05th 2021
Eh, I'm not so sure.
Dec 05th 2021
      Good point.
Dec 05th 2021
      True, but they were asking people not to stream The Listening before
Dec 05th 2021
           Only the deluxe editions
Dec 08th 2021
                Ah, ok
Dec 08th 2021
                Them brothers deserve to celebrate...
Dec 09th 2021
                     Ohh I really hope they dive deep into the 9th Wonder shit.
Dec 09th 2021
                I'm glad you said this/I popped in this thread again
Dec 09th 2021
                     Same.
Dec 09th 2021
Doja Cat is an LB fan?
Dec 10th 2021

Lobby The Lesson topic #3034849 Previous topic | Next topic