Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3034413

Subject: "They were (are) one of my favorite groups, but its been YEARS..." Previous topic | Next topic
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Fri Sep-03-21 06:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "They were (are) one of my favorite groups, but its been YEARS..."
In response to In response to 0
Fri Sep-03-21 06:05 PM by mrhood75

...since I last listened to it.

>What was the reception of this joint when it dropped?

It was considered a disappointment. The general consensus was that they were behind the times and that lyrically and musically it didn't even come close to the material from their hey day.

Personally, I know I was disappointed at the time. I'd liked "Greatest Misses," but it seemed like they were flailing with this one. I mean, their production really was never the same when the Bomb Squad "broke up." The production team that did Apocalypse '91 held thing together, but I remember feeling like the beats on this were a mess. And on the mic, it really felt like Chuck D was complaining rather than being forward thinking.

And honestly, too much of seemed centered on them complaining about the hip-hop press. I'm aware that's a strange complaint, considering how much of "It Takes a Nation..." (my favorite album ever) is built around them being pissed at the Village Voice and other publications, but here they were complaining about bad reviews from publications that once championed them. And that came off like sour grapes.

>When’s the last time you let it rock?

I will concede that it's been at least 15 years (maybe more) since I listened to it, so it may sound better now.

I will say that the "He Got Game" soundtrack is still a very good album, and an underrated bounce back.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Public Enemy - Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age [View all] , Anonymous, Fri Sep-03-21 04:25 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
This album was a huge dud when it dropped...
Sep 07th 2021
Yeah the cover art is dope!
Sep 07th 2021
I still remember the Source review
Sep 08th 2021
I got into PE pretty damned late
Sep 07th 2021
Close to 20 years
Sep 08th 2021
It was their "beats Rhymes and Life" jsut earlier
Sep 08th 2021
RE: Public Enemy - Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age