Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3031685

Subject: "Here's Quest's review from back then..." Previous topic | Next topic
soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Fri Apr-09-21 08:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Here's Quest's review from back then..."
In response to In response to 3

Someone back in 2012 posted a compilation of old reviews that Quest posted in the Lesson way back when these albums came out. I miss these days...

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2674970&mesg_id=2674970&listing_type=search

"q - tip - amplified (arista )"

(oops...I think someone's spellcheck was on the fritz when this review was written.) HOW TO REALLY GET THE MOST OUT OF THIS RECORD.....AKA HOW TO ENJOY THIS RECORD..... AKA HOW NOT TO FEEL LIKE YOU DID WHEN YOU FIRST HEARD BR&L, AND THE LOVE MOVEMENT (THAT'S IF YOU DIDN'T ENJOY 'EM)......AKA REASONS NOT TO HAVE UNREAL STANDARDS WHEN LISTENING TO THIS JOINT...........AKA WHEN WILL HE JUST START THIS REVEIW?!?!?!??!!?!?................

dear tip,
hey this is ahmir, remember me? i have to say that i'm really impressed with the new record. well, isn't that always the case? remember when i was all over the top when you rocked beats, rhymes, and life for me in the whip.......if my initial reaction was mirrored by the public then perhaps BR&L would've been your best work (then again when you rocked the rough of the love movement's ''let's start'', and ali's instrumental of ''common ground'' i almost threw up in disgust (at myself of course) in the passenger's seat.......ok it's 4am and i'm talking nonsense.

the night my father was rushed to the hospital you called to see if i was ok, and i do recall saying that i'd be ok........but inside i really wanted to ask you what talent am i lacking that you don't feel the need to include me on this record. seriously. i remember telling you that i'd cut you off if i found myself on the customer end of this record. something: skits, handclaps, one snare.......something. i understand that i'm no jay dee, or d'angelo when it comes to songwriting but i think i can hold some shit down.....ok, i'm getting ahead of myself. this is supposed to be a congratulatory letter in proving my theory all along. that you are better off on your own than in a crew.

after careful observation i recommend that people who are really hell-bent on casting you aside should start with the hidden track ''do it, be it, see it'' (fast forward track 12, and release when you hear silence) it's here that you tell your rollercoster history with hip-hop from beginning to end (however i'm shocked that you mentioned tommy mattola gettin' that hitman to off you for that mariah bullshucks.....).......but i thought it was a peculiar/perfect/vulnerable way to explain your position.

i mean for most of us tribe was the soundtrack of our lives (i was 19 when i copped ''people's instintictive....'') and those w---hang on didn't i already say this in the source?............ ''acting like grown ups''.....such a strange line to pull from an even unlikely source. but this one line really describes the situation that most of us are having a hard time to deal with. tip. you have grown up. paul says in the new testament that when he was a child he acted like a child, spoke like one, and was one.......but now that he's a man he's put away childish things. come april you will turn 30. should we still expect you to have crazy provolactics? in light of most artist's dealing with growing pains (jimi in '70, james in '76, stevie in '84, michael in '95 (however i hear the new shit is bangin?), pe in '94, prince in '93.....)i could go on. i still stand by my word that your ''so called decline'' in music is better than most cat's best moments in radio 1999. i mean what's left? i like this better than forever, and i like it better than on the 6, and will is my negro but this has got more spins than willenium........so what's the word on the street on who your real comp is? mos? tribe? us? nope. most will agree that you are your worst competition. i say you are your worst critic. i know you ''handled'' the disappointment of the public's disdain for the gold lov e movement well. but deep inside you and i are the same and i can't stand criticism specially for something you bled over. so i know in your head you figured that your shit would be better off if you had no one to answer to. i didn't want to hear it. i needed ''footprints 99''......or so i thought. once i saw the ''incident'' backstage between you and phife at the beastie show last year (don't sweat that, riq and i argue worse than that) i knew it was coming to an end. however i never knew you was gonna loop barry white up to be the biggest hit of your career.

so i guess you are aware that most cats 'round here are just waiting to blast this record to smithereens, and i suspect there will be some who don't understand that this record here is the best possible retort to all those spirit's who try to stop you from doing your thing (watch me start to accuse these okayhater's of not gettin no bush for their frustrations).

truth be told (it's an hour later since i started writing) this record is everything i wanted it to be. for starters not a tribe album. for if it was then that would be foul for you to ''john paul jones'' phife off the record. (translation: jimmy and robert plant said that the page/plant project was not a zep reunion, even though they did zep shit, thus frustrating jpj cause they wouldn't let him get in on all that ca$h action) are the beats innovative? hey my opinions of jaydee are borderline suspect round these parts. he's flipped nuff breaks on this record to give primo a run for his loot(p), peep how he flips ''giant steps'' on ''let's ride''.......or him freaking the shit outta kool and the gang's ''nt'' on ''breath and stop''. the rhymes? cats are all goin crazy over ''vivrant's'' lyrics like you were biggie or somethin. ''the rhymes are too simple'' ''it's whack!!!''---whatever, i mean you are the same cat who once rhymed ''if i was working at the club you would not pay....'' again, you are a dope mc. voice and all. that's why i wasn't (and never) expected biggie like miricles for any rhyme that came out of your mouth. (''i learned how to build mics in my workshop class'' vs. ''birthday's was the worst days....now we sip champagne when we thirs---stay!!!! who wins?) i mean your shit is more like an instrument to the bigger picture, than the sole focus.........anyway i'm tryin to figure did i mention something.....oh yeah ignore all naysayers....they're comin ''thought he was a devout muslim and shit'' why is he singin about sex and shit?!?!!?? i dunno this ain't no surprise to me. you been singin about gettin the ass for almost 10 years now, and quite honestly, i dig this stuff. sure some will say you all jiggified, but i'll be damn if puff gonna stat rockin over a track like ''all in'' (probably the funkiest shit you've ever done in eons). so as i close i just wanna say that even without my involvement this record is a great introduction from Q-tip to the world. congrats.......still cuttin you off though....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Why isn't Amplified worshiped by Dilla heads? [View all] , OKdamn, Thu Apr-08-21 06:54 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I LOVE this album
Apr 08th 2021
i love both of them
Apr 08th 2021
I was in my last year of college in 1999.
Apr 08th 2021
Yep - came here to say exactly this.
Apr 08th 2021
I didn’t care for Vivrant Thing, Breathe & Stop was a little better......
Apr 08th 2021
You summed up the consensus about the album really well
Apr 09th 2021
TLM wasn't THAT bad lol
Apr 10th 2021
      It wasn't bad at all !
Apr 10th 2021
           Lol
Apr 11th 2021
Speaking of archives, I have been trying to find the Qtip vs 2pac thread
Apr 08th 2021
      Ha! I remember reading this when it was posted.
Apr 12th 2021
      RE: Here's Quest's review from back then...
Apr 16th 2021
           It's at the top of the swipe of my original post...
Apr 16th 2021
Is N.T. Dilla?
Apr 08th 2021
Dilla isn’t credited on that track
Apr 08th 2021
No, Dj Scratch Produced "N.T." & "Do It"
Apr 09th 2021
      Ah ok..thanks y'all
Apr 09th 2021
Damn, I thought it was...
Apr 08th 2021
Some Of These Fake J-Dilla Fans Are Weird
Apr 09th 2021
I don't like when people associate him with donuts
Apr 09th 2021
That was the official ATCQ breakup
Apr 09th 2021
good point. I was probably in my feelings over the solo play.
Apr 12th 2021
great album... but it didn't have the tribe feel to it...
Apr 09th 2021
yeah, that was an odd release
Apr 09th 2021
Like he was trying too hard-exactly why I didnt fool with then
Apr 16th 2021
The Large Pro solo didn’t feel like Main Source either
Jun 03rd 2021
      i think a Tip solo in the mid 90s would sound more like Tribe...
Jun 04th 2021
RE: Why isn't Amplified worshiped by Dilla heads?
Apr 10th 2021
I don’t worship it but I like the album A LOT.
Apr 10th 2021
Look at Q-Tip's performance from the Chris Rock show
Apr 11th 2021
Yeah...I thought it was common knowledge why it got panned
Apr 11th 2021
About the image switch up..heres my 2 cents
Apr 11th 2021
Not to mention the rumors
Apr 11th 2021
      *dead*
Apr 12th 2021
Dilla went to strip clubs to find inspiration
Sep 07th 2021
The Ummah vs. Jay Dee
Apr 11th 2021
RE: The Ummah vs. Jay Dee
Apr 12th 2021
      dunno, but...
Apr 12th 2021
      Tribe has always worked like that
Apr 17th 2021
Maybe 'cause its largely boring and forgettable?
Apr 16th 2021
things we do is a fuckin bop
Apr 21st 2021
'Higher'
Apr 21st 2021
it is. who tf said its not?
Apr 30th 2021
Idk
Apr 30th 2021
because it's some of his weakest work, aside from a few classics
May 28th 2021
RE: Why isn't. Electric Circus worshiped by Dilla heads?
May 28th 2021
we kinda do
May 30th 2021
      He kinda went in on that album too
May 30th 2021
      That albums deserves more credit
May 30th 2021
      And it still sounds GOOD
May 30th 2021
      ^^ absolutely right.
May 30th 2021
      I may need to revisit this album
May 31st 2021
      Feel the same
Aug 29th 2021
           I think it more accurate to say it's inconsistent than that it's missing...
Aug 30th 2021
                Come Close....insanely low lows IMO
Aug 30th 2021
      Interesting.
May 31st 2021
      *likes*
Aug 29th 2021
      Still one of my favorite albums production wise.
Jun 03rd 2021
           There's literally no question about this. I agree.
Jun 03rd 2021
           I agree and disagree with this...
Jun 03rd 2021
                Yea that's fair.
Jun 03rd 2021
      RE: we kinda do
Sep 05th 2021
Selling the instrumental promo vinyl on discogs under Collin1971
Aug 29th 2021

Lobby The Lesson topic #3031685 Previous topic | Next topic