Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3027967

Subject: "Gen Xers, did we take hip hop too seriously?" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Mon Oct-26-20 08:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Gen Xers, did we take hip hop too seriously?"

The post asking posters to ID 'overground' hip hop stars in De La's Itzsoweezee video took me on a mental trip.

It was so cool to get nostalgic about that time where there was more of an authentic claim to 'true' hip hop. It was an innocent time.

But then a memory of myself strongly disliking the song at the time because it wasn't edgy enough came to mind. (inwardly I shamefully bowed and shook my head at my inner 19-year old. kids, back then...)

And that made me think of how seriously I and hip hop overall took the music.

I was deep into 'real' hip hop. KRS, Gangstarr, The Roots, Common, Tribe, De La, OutKast were my musical gods and I looked down on others who worshipped what I thought of as Golden Calfs.

Yes, I still listen to all of those artists but over the years I just don't take the music or my sense of taste that seriously or assign a false level of importance to it.

On a cultural level, hip hop was literally life or death at times. Take The Roots for example.

They had enough street cred to hang on at the table of outcasts in the rap lunchroom but they were/are about as calm and refined as an act could have in hip hop at that time. And even they had to watch their back against BIG for making a video that *tangentially* referenced *a* video that BIG did a little ways from the 'What They Do' video the band put out. Didn't call out BIG's mom. Didn't take money or cheat BIG out of royalties. Just a video that mocked him flaunting his success. Crazy to think about/

That doesn't even reference Biggie and 2Pac literally losing their life over some stuff said on records. (the situation was more complicated that simple beef, of course. but hopefully the point of a non-violence incident leading to two deaths makes sense)

THEN, the thoughts of how severe the claim of 'sell out' was in hip hop. Or the Rawkus/Def Jux vs commercial battles at the turn of the century.

At one time in the 90s the claim could make a career stillborn. Does the concept really exist now?

Back to The Roots. Remember how much flak The Roots got for being the *backing band* of Jay Z? Thought didn't step out of a Bentley wearing ice with fly girls on his arm. ?uest didn't have a drum kit with women from 80's hair bands surrounding it.

All of this to say that while we all wish for a time when the music had more urgency and fierceness, to be honest, it should have never gotten to that point in the first place.

To think that Biggie wasn't able to spend any more time with his wife and kid because 2Pac heard some false rumor and said some disrespectful shit on a record.

Or Pac never got a chance to be a Congressman or Mayor or be deeply involved in politics because of some asshole who owned a record label.

I'm rambling here but I wonder what you all make of our relationship to hip hop culture back then and our take on it now as almost/actually middle-aged adults.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Gen Xers, did we take hip hop too seriously? [View all] , obsidianchrysalis, Mon Oct-26-20 08:45 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Gen Xers, did we take hip hop too seriously?
Oct 27th 2020
nah, hip hop is music
Oct 27th 2020
Nah...we were young, energetic, idealistic & protective.
Oct 27th 2020
honestly, i wish I took it more seriously...
Oct 27th 2020
In all fairness to the late 90's, hip hop had nowhere to go but up.
Nov 14th 2020
I appreciate everyone's comments
Oct 27th 2020
The East Coast /West Coast Beef seems so silly looking back.
Oct 28th 2020
RE: The East Coast /West Coast Beef seems so silly looking back.
Oct 28th 2020
      I mean I know he grew up in the projects but I don't think he was slangi...
Oct 29th 2020
           RE: I mean I know he grew up in the projects but I don't think he was sl...
Oct 29th 2020
                Meh, you know exactly what Buddy meant man lol.
Oct 29th 2020
                     An aside, this is really important point being brought up here
Nov 02nd 2020
                          RE: An aside, this is really important point being brought up here
Nov 03rd 2020
                          That's a really, really great point.
Nov 03rd 2020
                               All good, I was just making a related point! No apology necessary!
Nov 04th 2020
Good post, thanks everyone for the thoughts (may chime in ltr n.m)
Nov 02nd 2020
We were impatient and spoiled
Nov 04th 2020
On second thought: AN EMPHATIC YES!!!!!
Nov 04th 2020
according to the founders of the music and culture this isn't correct
Nov 15th 2020
I don't about "too seriously" but folk get ridiculous at times
Nov 15th 2020

Lobby The Lesson topic #3027967 Previous topic | Next topic