Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3014246

Subject: "De La Soul’s Catalog Heading to Streaming... but... (Pitchfork link) " Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8759 posts
Thu Feb-28-19 03:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"De La Soul’s Catalog Heading to Streaming... but... (Pitchfork link) "

https://pitchfork.com/news/de-la-souls-catalog-heading-to-streaming-band-say-theyll-only-see-pennies/amp/

De La Soul’s Catalog Heading to Streaming, Band Say They’ll Only See “Pennies”
The rap trio claim Tommy Boy will collect 90% of streaming money, cite “unbalanced, unfair terms”

BY: NOAH YOO FEB 27 2019
RAP
De La Soul are sparring with their former record label Tommy Boy about bringing their back catalog to streaming services. In a series of posts on the rap trio’s Instagram, they communicated their dismay over the terms of their agreement with Tommy Boy. “We are not happy about releasing our catalog under such unbalanced, unfair terms,” they wrote on February 26. In another post, they said, “The music WILL be released digitally. After 30 long years of good music and paying their debt to hip-hop, De La Soul unfortunately, will not taste the fruits of their labor. Your purchases will roughly go 90% Tommy Boy, 10% De La. Thank you.”

Today, they released more statements via Instagram, claiming Tommy Boy had not done the due diligence of clearing samples in the back catalog before making plans to make it available to stream. “We are being placed in the line of fire... De La Soul cannot afford negligent hurried business. We are fighting for our livelihood,” a caption reads. “Imagine trying to settle a #phantom2milliondollardebt and now possible lawsuits lurking??? There goes that 10%.” De La Soul then revealed that Tidal had reportedly agreed not to stream their back catalog in solidarity.

During an interview on “Sway In the Morning,” De La Soul’s Maseo explained that after Tommy Boy’s rights were moved over to Warner Bros. Records, potential sample infractions within the De La Soul records kept the label from making them available on streaming services. The De La Soul catalog has since been reacquired by Tommy Boy. Trugoy cited Tommy Boy head Tom Silverman’s lack of faith in the group’s seminal debut 3 Feet High and Rising as a reason why the samples were never cleared.

“Because of the fact that Tommy Boy—Tom Silverman, in particular—didn’t think that 3 Feet High and Rising was going to do well at all,” he told Sway. “Because of that reason, they decided not to clear stuff.” The group also stated that they will only see “pennies” in royalties once the albums are put on streaming platforms. Find their full appearance below.

Pitchfork has reached out to representatives for Tommy Boy for further comment.

Read our Sunday Review of De La Soul’s 3 Feet High and Rising.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

De La Soul’s Catalog Heading to Streaming... but... (Pitchfork link) [View all] , obsidianchrysalis, Thu Feb-28-19 03:05 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Bittersweet...
Feb 28th 2019
Nobody cleared everything before Biz' lawsuit
Feb 28th 2019
I'm confused...De La made their entire Tommy Boy catalog available for
Feb 28th 2019
Doesn't matter if we did or didn't.
Feb 28th 2019
      I was speaking from the context of OkayPlayer
Feb 28th 2019
TOMMY AIN'T MY MUTHERFUKKN BOY n/m
Feb 28th 2019
postponed
Feb 28th 2019
update - catalog sold to Reservoir Media
Jun 04th 2021
Dope, this is great to hear
Jun 04th 2021
      100%
Jun 04th 2021
           i just want some instrumental LPs for their early work.
Jun 07th 2021
via IG Live: End of year (November mentioned a few times)
Aug 10th 2021
great news
Aug 10th 2021
I tuned in to this IG Live. It was hilarious.
Aug 10th 2021
      I hope the time away doesn't affect how newer generations view them
Aug 10th 2021
           there is an element of mystery to their music for young people...
Aug 11th 2021
                I also think that their music is so unique, so inimitable ..
Aug 11th 2021
                     My 10 and 13 year old nephews are HUGE fans of them
Aug 11th 2021
                          That's beautiful haha I love that.
Aug 11th 2021
                          People love the third album the most?
Aug 11th 2021
                               Absolutely. I'm one of them. And I know several others.
Aug 11th 2021
                               RE: Absolutely. I'm one of them. And I know several others.
Aug 11th 2021
                               That's me, Buhloone and Stakes the most
Aug 11th 2021
                                    Exact same.
Aug 11th 2021
                               i do
Aug 11th 2021
                               This is it right here for me, too.
Aug 11th 2021
                               I’ll be that guy - right this second? I’m putting on Grind Date fir...
Aug 11th 2021
                                    Haha love it.
Aug 12th 2021
I'm hoping the albums get re-released on Vinyl next year.
Aug 12th 2021
My Myself and I single dropped on Spotify
Jan 17th 2022
I know streaming doesn't bring in a ton of $$$ but....
Jan 17th 2022
RE: I know streaming doesn't bring in a ton of $$$ but....
Jan 18th 2022
      the BEST time to have music in a marvel movie is...
Jan 18th 2022

Lobby The Lesson topic #3014246 Previous topic | Next topic